Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Ete

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Sixbillionethans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default All-Grain - Saison Ete

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY3711
Yeast Starter: 800ml
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.004
IBU: 33
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 75F/1day, 80F/1day, 82F/5days
Additional Fermentation: Bottle condition
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 60/2weeks
Tasting Notes: One fantastic beer. Yeast is awesome.

Recipe based loosely on Saison Ete recipe from Zymurgy.

MASHED GRAINS
9# Belgian Pils
3# German Wheat Malt
0.5# Vienna

ADDITIONAL FERMENTABLES
1# Organic Cane Sugar

HOPS
2oz Styrian Goldings (3.8%aa) @ 90 mins
1oz Saaz (3.8%aa) @ 60 mins
1oz Saaz @ @ 5 mins
1oz Saaz Dry Hopped

OTHER ADDITIONS
0.25tsp Black Pepper @ 5 mins
0.25tsp Coriander @ 5 mins

MASHING NOTES
120F for 10mins.
148F for 60 mins.
73% efficiency was lower than usual. Probably should have increased saccarification rest to 90 mins due to the low mash temp.

FERMENTATION NOTES
75 for 24 hrs, 80 for 24 hrs, 82 for 5 days, cellar after that. 1.004 after 3 days when I transferred to secondary.

BOTTLING NOTES
1 cup corn sugar. Condition for 2 weeks.

ADDITIONAL TASTING NOTES
What an awesome yeast strain! Wow.
I'm particularly proud of this beer. Although the yeast did most of the work, and the recipe was largely a copy of one out of Zymurgy, it turned out fantastic. Careful mash and fermentation control really paid off big time, as this beer is very very good.
Taste hides the 8.5% alc with easy, and is surprising refreshing. Crisp and dry, yet with more body than I would have expected from a beer that finished at 1.004.
Color is a barely hazy straw with a nice white head. High carbonation is evident in the large bubbles that roll up the side of the glass.
Hop bitterness is there, but not at all overwhelming or puckering.
Tastes is tons of yeast contributions with lots of citrus, spice, and vanilla. Malt is there as well.

Last edited by Sixbillionethans; 12-31-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to attempt this recipe this weekend.

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions?

When using the black pepper and coriander do i add this to the boil, or secondary?

Do I use whole pepper/coriander?

any advantage/disadvantage to using turbinado vs cane sugar? Can I use the sugar in the raw stuff? Sugar In The Raw/Unrefined, 32-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery

or even corn sugar, candi sugar or some other option.

How do I boost my mash temp up from 120 to 148?

Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions?
Yes

When using the black pepper and coriander do i add this to the boil, or secondary?
I treat spices like hops. The later you add them, the more aroma you get. I added these with 5 minutes left in the boil.

Do I use whole pepper/coriander?
I weigh them out, then put them in a ziplock bag and run 'em over with a rolling pin to crush them.

Any advantage/disadvantage to using turbinado vs cane sugar? Can I use the sugar in the raw stuff? Sugar In The Raw/Unrefined, 32-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery or even corn sugar, candi sugar or some other option.
This is an excellent question. So many sugars are available, and they will give you such an array of flavors. I'm a big fan of the cane sugar that I get from my local natural food store. It's only slightly darker than table sugar, and has a very mild caramel flavor. The darker the sugar, the more flavor it will contribute. Personally, I haven't liked beers done with turbinado, it gives a flavor that I don't love.

How do I boost my mash temp up from 120 to 148?
Boosting temps in this case was with a stepped infusion mash. Check out something like How to Brew for info.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
andobajando
Recipes 

Just brewed up something similar to this.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.80 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.5 %
3.60 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.8 %
0.60 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (90 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9.1 %

OG was 1.080, after 4 days at 82 degrees the Kruiesen dropped and the gravity was at 1.012. At this point I figured it was done with 85% attenuation, so I pulled the plug to let the beer cool down. Later when I checked on it there was an inch of head on it once again. 3711 is a monster of a saison yeast.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
andobajando
Recipes 

Bottling this one tomorrow, FG of 1.004!!!!!!!! 10% ABV 95% Attenuation! Tasting notes will come in the future

Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Glad the recipe sounds like it worked out for you. Sorry for late response, I don't get to this site as often as I used to.

I actually have my 4th Saison w/ 3711 in primary right now.

I've learned a few things through the batches:

1. Consider using spices. I think this yeast benefits from it, since it's really clean and fruity. A small amount of spices seems to balance it.

2. I'm a big fan of starting these (Belgian) yeasts at a little lower temp then ramping them up. 12-24 hrs @ 70ish, 12-24hrs @ 75ish, finish @ 80-85F. You avoid the fusels that way.

3. I know I used wheat malt on this one, but I've switched over to unmalted grains as they are more authentic. The flaked grains don't need any special treatment, but a rest at like 100-110F will make the gums more soluble.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
andobajando
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice Ethan, I just bottled this one today, it attenuated down to 1.000. This yeast is pretty amazing. How long did you let yours set before cracking into one? I'm thinking this one is going to take a while to come into it's own. I have to admit that I was a bit surprised at how mellow the alcohol flavor was for a 10.5% beer. I'm just about to dough in for another saison- This time I'm going to do a pumpkin spice hybrid. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
andobajando
Recipes 

OK! So I did the Pumpkin Spice Saison! I didn't think ahead so I went to my local HBS/Work to pick up supplies.

10# American 2 row
.5# Wheat malt
.5# Crystal 60
.5# Toasted Marris Otter
3# Libbey's 100% pumpkin- Caramelized @ 350 F for 1.5 hours
1.5# Brown Sugar

1.0 oz Norther American Brewer Hops @ 60
1.0 oz Sazz @ 20
4 cinnamon sticks @ 10
3 tsp nutmeg @ 10
5 whole cloves @ 10
1 tsp all spice @ 10

Pitched on top of my old yeast cake, I'm anticipating a violent fermentation. OG of 1.070

So I took your advice and really played with spices this time, I'm also doing a gradual heat up. Again thanks for the tips.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
andobajando
Recipes 

One week later and the gravity is at 1.001! 9% ABV Pumpkin Saison!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
shwillson
Recipes 

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 75F/1day, 80F/1day, 82F/5days
Additional Fermentation: Bottle condition
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 60/2weeks

FERMENTATION NOTES
75 for 24 hrs, 80 for 24 hrs, 82 for 5 days, cellar after that. 1.004 after 3 days when I transferred to secondary.

I have a couple ?'s about fermentation on this...when you racked to secondary did you repitch yeast or just rely on what was in solution? you kept it in secondary for 2 weeks at 60 or in teh bottle for 2 weeks at 60?

We brewed this beer almost exactly (we added Amarillo hops at 5m and a tiny piece of cardamom and star anise--was inspired by your recommendations Ethan), but didnt get quite as high gravity...1068, but it may still be a bit warm, so could go up...you took it at what temp?
(im still a relatively new brewer...going to buy Amazon.com: How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time (9780937381885): John J. Palmer: Books
which will hopefully help me answer a lot of the ?'s I have.

after reading this thread i was really excited by the attenuation results you guys got from this yeast strain...hope I can get similar...I know the key is fermentation temp, so going to do my best to keep it warm for the next couple days, then cool it after I hopefully get a huge drop in sugar like you guys did!

cheers!

Quick Reply