Saison of Darkness (SoD)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retire2016

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP568
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Safbrew T-58
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 72+F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 66+F
Tasting Notes
A definite spiciness and a punchy fruitiness.
Started with 5g of water, but because of the hops, got about 4.5 in the fermentor.

Extract (late additions at 30 min into boil)
3.3 # can CBW Pilsen Light LME
2# Munton's Plain Dark DME
2# Munton's Plain Extra Light

Steeping grains @ 154F for 30min
11oz Crystal 20
8oz Dark Munich
6.5oz Wheat Malt

Hops
1oz Columbus(leaf/13%) @ 60min
2oz Cascade(leaf/8.3%) @ 10min

Other
1tps Gysum @ 60min
1tps Yeast Nutrient @ 15
1tps irish moss @ 15

Special instructions
Age in the bottle for FOUR months.

My label description:
"Original farmhouse ale recipe, this is a perfectly carbonated, full-bodied Belgian style ale with a pleasant mix of dark and light malts and a touch of wheat malt. A double dosing of American hops rounds out the flavor with a light aroma of Columbus and Cascade, while a blend of yeast strains anoints this beverage with a definite spiciness and a punchy fruitiness. Clocking in at 6.8% ABV, this enticing and complex brew will tease you into a quick quaff, so beware! Drink it nice and slow and enjoy it while it lasts."

Notes: The yeast is a mix of one vial of WLP568 and one packet of T-58. No starter. The first time it was brewed, I kept this in a warm closet that got in the mid 70F. After a week or so and almost at the end of active fermentation, I moved the fermentor into a room in the garage that hovered around 66F to 68F. NOTE: This stayed in the same physical fermentor until bottling. This beer came out dark, but VERY clear after the four months of aging. The aging was important because the beer was very good up until the third month, but with a strong-to-moderate bubble gum (juicy fruit)taste, and then abso-F***ing-lutely phenomenal at the four month mark with a great complementary fruity character to the taste that was extremely pleasant. I am going to attempt this as an AG soon.

Back