Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #61
m00se
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I made a 1600ml starter of 3724 for the 1.060 wort. Tossed in dregs from Saison Brett, Rayon Vert, Anchorage Wit, and Orval. I wanted to really brett this puppy up as an experiment. I took another reading today and it's still at 1.030 9 days in. I've moved the carboy to the warmest room in the house that gets up to the high 80s during the day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #62
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I made a 1600ml starter for the 1.060 wort. Tossed in dregs from Saison Brett, Rayon Vert, Anchorage Wit, and Orval. I wanted to really brett this puppy up as an experiment. I took another reading today and it's still at 1.030 9 days in. I've moved the carboy to the warmest room in the house that gets up to the high 80s during the day.
Hey I know I post a lot on this thread and I hope no one minds and I'm not coming off wrong to anyone. I just wanted to say as I have done many and I mean many Brett beers now to the point that I even have one that has been commercially replicated and sold........Brett works slow to get from 1.060 to 1.039 WITHOUT a Sacch strain is pretty darn good. Do no expect it to work the same it ferments out much slower and different than a standard yeast even though some will claim rightfully so that when used as a sole primary strain will work faster. This is sometimes true in my experience. FWIW I would leave it be maybe a comfortable medium like high 70's not high 80's unless I am missing something and your using a Saison strain in there too then hell yeah pump her up to 90 !!!! just my .02 and btw it all started with me at least with this beer right here !!!! also check me out on the AHA site I am brewer of the week this month !!!!!
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I brewed this or something very close. Didn't go quite so high on the gravity basically but split the wort between straight 3711 and WLP565 + Brett but I also cultured the brett from the boulevards bottle for 5 days so I had a good starter going when it was pitched.

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #64
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte

Hey I know I post a lot on this thread and I hope no one minds and I'm not coming off wrong to anyone. I just wanted to say as I have done many and I mean many Brett beers now to the point that I even have one that has been commercially replicated and sold........Brett works slow to get from 1.060 to 1.039 WITHOUT a Sacch strain is pretty darn good. Do no expect it to work the same it ferments out much slower and different than a standard yeast even though some will claim rightfully so that when used as a sole primary strain will work faster. This is sometimes true in my experience. FWIW I would leave it be maybe a comfortable medium like high 70's not high 80's unless I am missing something and your using a Saison strain in there too then hell yeah pump her up to 90 !!!! just my .02 and btw it all started with me at least with this beer right here !!!! also check me out on the AHA site I am brewer of the week this month !!!!!
Prost!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_Horror View Post
Prost!
Prost !!!! thanks for the read !!!
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #66
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 197

this looks promising. I have a bottle of Brett Saison in the fridge chilling now

Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #67
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoptimistic View Post
this looks promising. I have a bottle of Brett Saison in the fridge chilling now
Quite promising indeed. Stan Hieronymus really enjoyed this beer. Said something to the effect of "the brewers at Boulevard would be happy to know this was made from their beer". He and one of the brewers at Perennial Artisan Ales (St. Louis funky beer brewery) gave it a 1st place in a comp earlier this year.

My version of this also went to the final round of Nationals in Philly. Got 1st in the KC Regional out of 68 entries.

Needless to say, I LOVE this recipe.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
Hoptimistic Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #68
studio1one
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a Saison I made with 3711 that will be finishing in a while, you reckon I could pitch the wort onto that cake and then add some Brett dregs to it after?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 197

OK so I have never ever fermented at 80° I have been told what to expect with this beer and the Saison yeast but it just seems so weird that the kraussen was so small then pittered out so quickly. it has been at 80° almost two weeks at this point. I've got three more days until the blankets come off and I drop the temperature to 70° in the house. its weird I feel like I'm a newbie again.

I'm just wondering when I can expect to see this start up fermentation again. does it kraussen a second time when the temperature is lowered and the Brett can become more dominant?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #70
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
Quite promising indeed. Stan Hieronymus really enjoyed this beer. Said something to the effect of "the brewers at Boulevard would be happy to know this was made from their beer". He and one of the brewers at Perennial Artisan Ales (St. Louis funky beer brewery) gave it a 1st place in a comp earlier this year.

My version of this also went to the final round of Nationals in Philly. Got 1st in the KC Regional out of 68 entries.

Needless to say, I LOVE this recipe.
Hey, that's awesome! Stan's "ok" on this beer is pretty stellar. I haven't entered it in a comp since NHC 2011- maybe it's time to ship it off again.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply