Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #51
Jdslep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ithaca
Posts: 62
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I brewed this in 9/2012, bottled after two months. Pitched Goose Island Sophie dregs on brew day, and Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Fermented at 68F ambient.

On 2/2013 I brought it to the club meeting and got rave reviews. It came in at 9% abv, dried out to 1.000 but has a thicker mouthfeel. Now in 5/2013: I don't know what the Brett or the saison yeast is supposed to taste like, but I get a lot of artificial cherry, a spiciness on the tongue, and some soft esters (I think). A long--over a minute--lingering taste of cherry and slight funk. Not bad for a first all-grain batch! I used the yeast cake to ferment a nice tart strawberry cider.

__________________
Jdslep is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #52
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdslep View Post
I brewed this in 9/2012, bottled after two months. Pitched Goose Island Sophie dregs on brew day, and Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Fermented at 68F ambient.

On 2/2013 I brought it to the club meeting and got rave reviews. It came in at 9% abv, dried out to 1.000 but has a thicker mouthfeel. Now in 5/2013: I don't know what the Brett or the saison yeast is supposed to taste like, but I get a lot of artificial cherry, a spiciness on the tongue, and some soft esters (I think). A long--over a minute--lingering taste of cherry and slight funk. Not bad for a first all-grain batch! I used the yeast cake to ferment a nice tart strawberry cider.
If I had to make a guess you used Brett C which is known for a sour cherry aroma and somewhat a funky sweet taste..... the spiciness was absolutely from the saison yeast you co pitched and the soft esters are probably a bit of the mix.... to me it sounds like a great beer !!! Oh yeah btw it's amazing how this beer feel thicker than it really is !!!! mine finished at 1.002 and it does not seem thin at all !!! Brett is great isn't it ?
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #53
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


I brewed mine back in January, still in the primary. I sampled it a month in and there was a distinct cider taste which is still present 6 months later. The only thing I changed in the recipe was the yeast, I used White Labs Saison II and dregs from a bottle of Seizoen Bretta that I grew up in a starter. Any thoughts? I'm assuming this isn't going to go away after sticking around for this long.

__________________
sbuchan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #54
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchan View Post
I brewed mine back in January, still in the primary. I sampled it a month in and there was a distinct cider taste which is still present 6 months later. The only thing I changed in the recipe was the yeast, I used White Labs Saison II and dregs from a bottle of Seizoen Bretta that I grew up in a starter. Any thoughts? I'm assuming this isn't going to go away after sticking around for this long.
I disagree if you added Brett in the mix it is just getting rolling at 4-6 months especially when mixed with Sacch strains...... give it 8-12 months to hit it's prime.... certain brett strains are known for fruity esters and saison II is definitely known for high ester production especially if brewed hot.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #55
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default


ohhh and another thing do not transfer the beer Brett will eat the Sacch and give off more of the brett character ..... do you know what strain is used in Seizoen Bretta ?

__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #56
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 1,932
Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
ohhh and another thing do not transfer the beer Brett will eat the Sacch and give off more of the brett character ..... do you know what strain is used in Seizoen Bretta ?
I've got some here that I'm going to put under the scope today or tomorrow to see what's in there. I'll let you know if I spot something.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #57
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I've got some here that I'm going to put under the scope today or tomorrow to see what's in there. I'll let you know if I spot something.
Any thought on what they might be?
__________________
sbuchan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #58
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 1,932
Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default


I pitched them before I got to look at them, sorry.

__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
m00se
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waltham
Posts: 84
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


I brewed this 5 days ago and the gravity's down to 1030. It's been fermenting in a swamp cooler set at 86F. I've read about 3724 stalling around this number. Will the brett eat through that and push it closer to 1000 or should I swirl and crank up the heat?

Gravity sample tasted really good! Great recipe. Thank you

__________________
m00se is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #60
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,623
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default


So you just did a direct pitch with both 3724 and the dredges, no starters?

__________________
On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12
humann_brewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial - BBD Saison Furtif ChshreCat Belgian and French Ale 354 04-16-2014 01:52 AM
All-Grain - Saison Ete Sixbillionethans Belgian and French Ale 27 09-01-2013 05:49 PM
Extract - Belgian Saison Ace_Club Belgian and French Ale 8 09-10-2012 08:12 PM
Se La Saison Ó Flannagáin Belgian and French Ale 9 01-12-2011 02:14 AM
Saison Ryanh1801 Belgian and French Ale 6 08-01-2010 08:00 PM