Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #41
sbuchan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this on 1/26/13 and pulled a sample tonight. Smells fantastic, lots of funk with just a hint of tartness. The taste though... I'm getting a cidery, semi-sweet finish (at 1.004). I brewed this with White Labs Farmhouse Blend II and a started I made with Logsdon Farmhouse Seizoen Bretta. Any idea what happened? Should I just let it sit another month or so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #42
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you fermented with sacch and brett you definitely shouldn't be bottling any time soon. The brett is going to keep eating at some of the residual sugar, it should get dryer over the next few months. Brett just takes a while when it's stressed and working with sacch.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #43
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If I was to do this beer again I wouldn't even think about bottling anytime before 6-8 months and even then i'd be cautious..... And besides Brett works differently when pitched with sacch and it takes a long time for for those Brett flavors to fully develop. Trust me don't rush this beer. It is a great great beer I have won a first and second place with this beer and was less than 1 point away from best of show at one competition. Patience is key with this one but the results are well worth the wait.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #44
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchan View Post
I brewed this on 1/26/13 and pulled a sample tonight. Smells fantastic, lots of funk with just a hint of tartness. The taste though... I'm getting a cidery, semi-sweet finish (at 1.004). I brewed this with White Labs Farmhouse Blend II and a started I made with Logsdon Farmhouse Seizoen Bretta. Any idea what happened? Should I just let it sit another month or so?
Like these other guys have said, let it run a little longer. I bottle most of my brett secondary beers around the 6 month mark (brett primaries after around 6-8 weeks). That Logsdon strain should take it down a little lower and give you some cheesy straw funk.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Another tidbit of info about Brett ...... No need to worry about a secondary ever unless you plan to add fruit or dry hop etc.... Autolysis will NOT happen.

Brett unlike sacch will canabalize and eat the dead Brett and Sachh as food for the long work ahead of them. This is the main reason beers like lambic or Flanders beers can remain in primary for a year plus with no problems. So no one gets confused I'm not referring to bacteria which dies off at either a higher ph or as the abv rises. Brett is the roach of the yeast world it will survive almost anything. The longer you leave the beer on the Brett the more the funk will stand out.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
lunshbox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Another tidbit of info about Brett ...... No need to worry about a secondary ever unless you plan to add fruit or dry hop etc.... Autolysis will NOT happen.

Brett unlike sacch will canabalize and eat the dead Brett and Sachh as food for the long work ahead of them. This is the main reason beers like lambic or Flanders beers can remain in primary for a year plus with no problems. So no one gets confused I'm not referring to bacteria which dies off at either a higher ph or as the abv rises. Brett is the roach of the yeast world it will survive almost anything. The longer you leave the beer on the Brett the more the funk will stand out.
Indeed. I am repitching a brett trois that is in its 5th slurry iteration. I just keep dumping on the cake. Not Bandaids yet.
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #47
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So, I think I am going to brew this and some other saisons similar to it, I will keg condition some but others I will do a sacch yeast then long brett and then bottle condition with wine yeast, what do you guys add for sugar at bottling after you take a beer like this down to 1.006-1.000? Hopefully I will get to brew this within a few weeks.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #48
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I happened to have a bottle of Saison-Brett in my cellar ready to be consumed. I wonder, is one bottle enough? Should I make a tiny starter with the dregs first?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #49
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I bottle this, I use Beersmith to calculate 3 vol CO2, and figure that the residual brett will give me more like 3.5 when all is said and done.

As far as making a starter from the Boulevard Saison Brett dregs, I have successfully used a fresh bottle's dregs, pitched at the same time as the primary yeast. If your bottle is 2010 or 11 vintage, you might want to step it up once.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #50
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
As far as making a starter from the Boulevard Saison Brett dregs, I have successfully used a fresh bottle's dregs, pitched at the same time as the primary yeast. If your bottle is 2010 or 11 vintage, you might want to step it up once.
As another data point, I brewed this last September 2012 and co-pitched 3724, a 2010 vintage and a 2011 vintage and it's pretty funky now.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Quick Reply