Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #31
thasnazzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm about five months out on a version I did of this with all brett c. Some tasting notes from my brew journal:

Incredibly clear golden straw color with an off-yellow head that dissipates, leaving minimal lacing. Aroma is overripe fruit, booze, and a fungal/cheese character that is a part of the overall bouquet instead of the primary smell that it was months ago. Taste begins with sweet tropical fruit yielding to some brett horsey funk that closes with a warm booziness and a sharp bitterness. Next time I'll try this with fewer hops. Mouthfeel isn't as thin as the low FG would indicate, though it is certainly dry.

--

I should also note that this is all in spite of some huge mistakes on my end - didn't do a 90min boil to drive off DMS, so the DMS was overwhelming for a couple of months before it started receding. Also I drastically underpitched, I think - this was before I learned about proper pitching rates and thought that any starter would be big enough, despite the fact that my tube of brett C was almost expired and I only did a 1L starter. That my beer tastes this great is a testament to how resilient this recipe is.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
GabeSyme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking about brewing this without the brett but I realized I have a bottle of Saison Brett aging in my basement! Would it be worth it at all to split a batch and pitch one with yeast+dregs and one with just the saison yeast or is this recipe just too good to change?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I brewed this back on September 9th, and I must say, I CANNOT WAIT to get this guy bottled! I've never used 3724 before, but sure enough, it stalled out at 1.035. I started fermentation at 68, then ramped to 80 over the course of 7 days. Left it at 80 for another week, gravity at 1.035. Pushed it up to 90, and have seen some activity, but I'm waiting until next week to take another gravity reading.

The aromas are heavenly. Pitched bottles from a 2011 and a 2012 Boulevard Saison-Brett.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #34
AmandaK
Recipes 

Bottled this last night. Got down to 1.004 after 2 weeks at 90*. Hydro samples taste amazing. I'll probably have to wax dip half the batch to encourage me to save some to see if this develops in the bottle like Boulevard's version does.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown

Old 10-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #35
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeSyme View Post
I was thinking about brewing this without the brett but I realized I have a bottle of Saison Brett aging in my basement! Would it be worth it at all to split a batch and pitch one with yeast+dregs and one with just the saison yeast or is this recipe just too good to change?
Split it, but I'd do 2/3 brett if you can. You'll wish you had more when you're down to the literal last bottle like I am right now. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
Bottled this last night. Got down to 1.004 after 2 weeks at 90*. Hydro samples taste amazing. I'll probably have to wax dip half the batch to encourage me to save some to see if this develops in the bottle like Boulevard's version does.
I found with mine that the brett character tends to top out after about 8-10 months. Definitely worth keeping some until then, though.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Without a doubt this was one of the best beers I have brewed. It also recently won a best of show as well as a 1st place in category in two different competitions. Mine was a slight variation but really really damn close. By not saving this beer for at least 1-2 years is a huge disservice to yourself as brettnomyces takes 8 months to fully develope it's charecteristic funky flavors. Don't be scared if a pellicle forms in bottle this is also sometime normal for Brett beers. Patience is key with this or any wild or sour beers but soooo worth it. Best of luck to those who brew this great beer !!!!

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #37
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Generally speaking, Brett B will tend to give you a more "traditional" horsey brett funk, and Brett L will either give you some sour cherry and smoky funk (wyeast) or loads of sweaty smoke (white labs). I haven't done any of that with this particular beer. I might someday, but this recipe is seriously too good to want to play with right now.
Thanks for the descriptions, so what would be the descriptor for brett c then?
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #38
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing

Thanks for the descriptions, so what would be the descriptor for brett c then?
Brett clausseni ( think that's the spelling) is a close cousin in its true form and a misnomer in some cases for Brett A depending on the mfg. the profile either way is more to the aroma side lending to a cherry or pineapple like nose there is a very minimal amount of contribution to flavor. I personally love Brett c and when I made my version of this beer used Brett c from white labs and had amazing results I highly reccomend using it.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
AmandaK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
I found with mine that the brett character tends to top out after about 8-10 months. Definitely worth keeping some until then, though.
Well, then I guess I'll have to do another batch soon. It's so good that half the batch is already gone.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #40
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Brett clausseni ( think that's the spelling) is a close cousin in its true form and a misnomer in some cases for Brett A depending on the mfg. the profile either way is more to the aroma side lending to a cherry or pineapple like nose there is a very minimal amount of contribution to flavor. I personally love Brett c and when I made my version of this beer used Brett c from white labs and had amazing results I highly reccomend using it.
Thanks, like I said, I would like to do a 11G batch of this, use Wyeast 3724 and Brett C (from white labs) with half and then Wyeast 3711 with the other 5 gallons
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply