Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by menisale View Post
I'm going to brew a 10 G batch of Saison this Saturday and split the batch between a normal Saison and the Saison Brett.

The Boulevard websites says they bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, It looks from this thread that most all that have done the Brett has fermented with the Brettanomyces vs. bottle conditioning with it.

Has anyone done the bottle conditioning? Any recommendation on this?
I recommend staying away from true bottle conditioning with Brett unless you're starting from a quite low FG and bottling in champagne or orval bottles. I just don't trust my hydrometer that far- I've had bottle bombs once on a non-buggy beer, and that was enough for me.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Hoptimistic Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ok quick question I brewed this back in MArch and it's been a little over 3 months and it's botteling time. This beer tastes awesome from the hydro sample which is .998 and crystal clear I'm actually picking up tons of brett funk though I did add brett c and brett B as well as white labs farmhouse ale blend which also has brett in it. Now that 3 months has elapsed is it advisable to re-yeast this to achieve carbonation ?

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #23
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Ok quick question I brewed this back in MArch and it's been a little over 3 months and it's botteling time. This beer tastes awesome from the hydro sample which is .998 and crystal clear I'm actually picking up tons of brett funk though I did add brett c and brett B as well as white labs farmhouse ale blend which also has brett in it. Now that 3 months has elapsed is it advisable to re-yeast this to achieve carbonation ?
Wow that's dry!

You should be ok without adding extra yeast. I always have been just fine. If you're worried about it, though, it's just a couple bucks for peace of mind.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 07-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Well now this is interesting. #1 I was mildly incorrect I forgot to adjust my FG based on temp so my actual FG 1.002 so it is still very dry. I ended up re yeasting it and from a suggestion of our local funk beer expert that all he brews are bugged beers and funked out lambics etc. ( also featured numerous times in BYO and a BJCP master judge ) he recomended I use s-04 even though it's a english strain he claims it will compliment it very nicely and will flocc out very well. So I tasted the hydro sample and wow there arae flavors there that really have no Godly reason to be there. Strong pineapple cherry aroma, Almost cherry quad type flavor as well as for a lack of a better term Tobbaco and sweat probably from the Brett B I added as well. Also has a sweetness that for a 1.002 beer should not be there I have no idea why all in all very interesting I can't wait till this carbs up and I am on a drinking schedule with this one. 2 per month so that will end up being 12 every 6 months so at the end of the batch I will have sampled it "fresh" at 6-12 months 12-18 months and 18-24 months to see how a brett beer ages and when it's peak has been reached. Dwarven thanks so much for this recipe as it was my first brett beer and I can;t wait to see how this ages.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
thomismydad
Recipes 

I did end up brewing this with the WLP670, looking and tasting pretty great right now. Thanks for the recipe. I was thinking about dry hopping with a couple of oz of saaz. Any thoughts on how long of a dry hop I should give it? This is my first sour, so I was unsure if a longer dry hop might be necessary. Particularly since I'll be aging the bottles quite a bit longer than usual.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Aschecte, that sounds like a tasty beer! Did your buddy go into any details on what he feels the flavor advantages are of SA04 as a bottling strain? I've not tried that but it sounds interesting.

thomismydad, sorry I didn't see this. I imagine you've finished your dryhopping by now. I like to dryhop until I start getting just a hint of grassiness in the sample, which for me is usually about a week. I've gone longer, but once that grassy flavor pops up it seems to last through aging unfortunately well.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Headley_Lamarr
Recipes 

Well finally cracked one. I got a bit busy, so this sat in primary for 3 months. After 3 weeks of bottle conditioning, I tried my first one yesterday. It came out great. There is a very nice balance of sweet/sour. I could drink a ton of these. I had to use Golden Promise as my local shop was lacking on grain. I highly recommend this recipe.

8.00 lb Golden Promise
2.00 lb Pilsner
1.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Clear Candi Sugar

Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #28
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout
Aschecte, that sounds like a tasty beer! Did your buddy go into any details on what he feels the flavor advantages are of SA04 as a bottling strain? I've not tried that but it sounds interesting.

thomismydad, sorry I didn't see this. I imagine you've finished your dryhopping by now. I like to dryhop until I start getting just a hint of grassiness in the sample, which for me is usually about a week. I've gone longer, but once that grassy flavor pops up it seems to last through aging unfortunately well.
Hey dwarven sorry for the delay.... The biggest advantage he gave me was first off it would floculate highly leaving a clear clear finished beer which it absolutely did. The second was that it would help accentuate the hop profile and lend a touch of breadiness to the mix. I would like to try it to your exact recipe next time and put two bottles side by side to see if there really was any advantage to me adding different Brett strains and the bottling yeast.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Brewing this little guy today, I've had the 3724 yeast forever and have been gathering Saison Brett dregs. So happy I'm finally getting around to this!

Update: Hit my numbers perfectly. 2L starter of 3724 and dregs from a 2011 bottle of Blvd Saison-Brett. Took off in 3 hours. By far the fastest start to fermentation in recent memory.

Really looking forward to this one.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #30
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I like the look of this recipe, looks like the style guideline wrapped up with some brett which is what I was thinking of doing.

I think I'll brew this in the future and split into 2 batches, one with with and one with WY 3711

any comments on water or other general techniques. I see hard water can accentuate the bitterness and dry finish but it already finishes out so darn dry, that may not be necessary.

Quick Reply