Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Saison Brett

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasnazzle View Post
Going to do this soon with 100% brett c. Working on a starter today.

Converting the grain bill to partial as follows:

4 lb belgian pils
1 lb munich
1 lb white belgian candi sugar
4.5 lb extra pale extract

Also thinking about racking this onto some fruit in secondary - you think cherries would do well? Looking for a nice fruity summer beer but I don't wanna hide the brett flavor behind the fruit.
That looks like a good adaptation for a partial mash. Fermenting with 100% brett C (Wyeast) will give you some big tropical fruit aroma in my experience, and go slightly funky after 6 months or so. I think that would be great for this kind of saison. Cherries would be a good addition as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headley_Lamarr View Post
I brewed this yesterday but had to make some adjustments due to lack of stock at the LHBS. We'll see how it works out.

8.00 lb Golden Promise
2.00 lb Pilsner
1.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Clear Candi Sugar

Same hops and yeast/Brett. This is my 4th all-grain. It's nice to see that I'm getting better at hitting numbers and volumes. Plus, as a condo brewer, I'm spilling less and less water/wort on the floor with every batch. I'll prob let this sit in the primary for 2 months.
2 months is about what mine takes. It will obviously continue to develop over time in the bottles as well. Using Golden Promise should be interesting- your color will be close to the same, but you'll trade some pils graininess for a bit of sweeter malt. I bet it'll turn out well.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed this on Saturday. I didn't take grain absorption into account and ended up with 3.5 gallons. The only problem is I couldn't tell the volume due to the steam in my keggle. My OG is 1.1! Gonna need more yeast.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
thomismydad
Recipes 

Any thoughts on using the WLP670 american farmhouse yeast with this?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed the partial mash I posted above last night; after making a starter last week the brett c kicked off amazingly fast - we have a vigorous fermentation going less than 24 hours after the brew. Kinda surprised, given that the yeast was set to expire yesterday and the starter had been sitting in a closet for a week or so and didn't look like it had been active for a while. Looking forward to this for sure.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomismydad View Post
Any thoughts on using the WLP670 american farmhouse yeast with this?
The WLP670 should work well in this recipe, but I haven't used that blend yet myself. I know a number of other people have had good experiences with it in similar recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DA View Post
I brewed this on Saturday. I didn't take grain absorption into account and ended up with 3.5 gallons. The only problem is I couldn't tell the volume due to the steam in my keggle. My OG is 1.1! Gonna need more yeast.
You could always boil some topup water and add that to the carboy. I'm not sure how this beer would be as a 12% abv monster, but I expect I'd prefer it a little lighter.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Bringing it to the homebrew club in two months. Should make a great taster of an imperial Saison!

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 154

How exactly do you use the Brett in conjunction with the other yeast?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I know this thread is almost a year old but just wondering about adding the bottle dregs. Would you just toss in the dregs from a freshly drank bottle at pitching time (my guess), make a mini starter with it, add it to your regular starter,...?
Definitely gonna have to try this one this summer, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Saison Brett (with apologies to Boulevard - there simply isn't a more fitting name)

Recipe Specifics:
Batch Size (Gal): 5.0
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.063
Anticipated SRM: 5
Anticipated IBU: 34
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Sugars:
10.00 lb Belgian Pilsner
1.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Clear Candi Sugar

Hops:
2.00 oz Williamette [3.90 %] @60 min (25.6 IBU)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] @15 min (6.5 IBU)
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] @5 min (2.6 IBU)

Yeast:
Co-pitch Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and the dregs from a bottle of Boulevard Saison Brett (or Wyeast Brett Clausenii)

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 14
Water Gal: 3.5

Saccharification:150 degrees, 90 minutes
Sparge: 170 degrees, 10 minutes

General Instructions:
Mash and boil are straightforward. Add the candy sugar with 5 minutes left. Pitch yeast at 75 and keep it warm for a couple of weeks, then let it sit undisturbed for a month or two until the brett is done. And for heaven's sake don't fear the 3724! I didn't dry hop this beer, but it would be very good with some dry hopping. You could do Amarillo to boost the citrus, EKG to compliment the brett, or more Saaz.
Edit: duh, I was so excited about this I didn't read the second page and, voila...someone recently asked the same question.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
menisale
Recipes 

I'm going to brew a 10 G batch of Saison this Saturday and split the batch between a normal Saison and the Saison Brett.

The Boulevard websites says they bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, It looks from this thread that most all that have done the Brett has fermented with the Brettanomyces vs. bottle conditioning with it.

Has anyone done the bottle conditioning? Any recommendation on this?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #20
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always taste it after primary and before conditioning.... and add Orval if I want to attenuate further. Not exactly this grain bill or this yeast, but adding dregs from Orval has finished a few beers that I felt were still too sweet/banana for a Saison ...
of course, I poured the Orval (or two) into a glass and reserved the yeast at the bottom of the bottles to pitch.

Quick Reply