Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #81
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I brewed this on 8/15/11 and bottled it on 10/12/11, exactly a week ago. I cracked open a bottle after one week of carbing and foam shot out of the bottle. However, the beer was not as carbonated as it should be. As is outlined on many threads on HBT, it needs 2 weeks minimum 3 weeks is ideal for carbing the beer.

That aside, the beer is fantastic! I haven't cracked open my authentic bottle of Leffe but I am very, very happy with this clone attempt. This is one of my better beers by far. The only thing I would change is to mash a little warmer to get slightly more body. I used this beer to do my very first yeast washing and, boy, am I glad I did. I have the exact same strain to use again for this recipe. Thanks, Revvy for sharing this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #82
txinga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just had a leffe Blonde for the first time. Outstanding beer. Do they add clove or any other spices to it? Revvy, does your clone have a spicy clove like note to it? I'm looking forward to attempting this!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #83
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by txinga View Post
I just had a leffe Blonde for the first time. Outstanding beer. Do they add clove or any other spices to it? Revvy, does your clone have a spicy clove like note to it? I'm looking forward to attempting this!
Nope, no spices in this beer. It's really just a straight forward beer. To me it tastes like beer used to taste back in the day....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #84
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can anyone convert this to a partial mash/extract version?

Kegged: black ale
Kegged: centenial ale

Primary:about to brew a 4th run of Dbl Choco Oatmeal stout
secondary:nothing.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #85
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster00 View Post
Can anyone convert this to a partial mash/extract version?
I discuss that in THIS post.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #86
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

haha...thanks...I didnt read far enough down.

Kegged: black ale
Kegged: centenial ale

Primary:about to brew a 4th run of Dbl Choco Oatmeal stout
secondary:nothing.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #87
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Here's what I'm thinking of for a 2.5 gallon batch of the honey blond experiment.

4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
8.0 oz Munich Malt
2.7 oz Biscuit Malt
1.8 oz Melanoiden Malt
12.0 oz Honey Malt
5.3 oz Honey (1.0 SRM)

0.38 oz Styrian Goldings- Boil 60.0 min
0.20 oz Saaz- Boil 30.0 min

0.5 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.00 ml]
I was planning on brewing a 5g batch of this today but ive lost my Saaz. LHBS is out of course so I picked up some German spalt and Sterling. Thoughts? Next brew day could be 2012.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #88
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
I was planning on brewing a 5g batch of this today but ive lost my Saaz. LHBS is out of course so I picked up some German spalt and Sterling. Thoughts? Next brew day could be 2012.
Would hate to have you wait for the new year.For all we know the world COULD end on Jan, 1st, so why risk it. Sterling is a good sub for saaz...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #89
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Has anyone tried fermenting this with Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)? I'm planning to make the Rye Saison here on the site (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/how-...t-comp-238831/) and would like to reuse the yeast for this beer....or perhaps brew them in the reverse order. I imagine it would work, but concerned about attenuation of 3711....maybe just do a shorter mash and keep it at 156-158F?

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #90
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Would hate to have you wait for the new year.For all we know the world COULD end on Jan, 1st, so why risk it. Sterling is a good sub for saaz...
It better not end Jan 1, this sucker won't even be close to being bottled let alone carbed up by then! The honey test batch wasnt my best execution, but there's wort is in the fermentor. Thanks for the original recipie and feedback on the substitution.

Quick Reply