Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #61
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I'm brewing a slightly modified version of this tomorrow. I basically just rounded up my grainbill.
I was supposed to bottle mine last monday but I've been very busy at work. Probably won't bottle it until next weekend. I'm going to wash the yeast too (first time attempt) just in case it comes out great. I can pitch the exact strain again. Extra time in the fermenter shouldn't harm it, right?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #62
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2757 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1623 View Post
I was supposed to bottle mine last monday but I've been very busy at work. Probably won't bottle it until next weekend. I'm going to wash the yeast too (first time attempt) just in case it comes out great. I can pitch the exact strain again. Extra time in the fermenter shouldn't harm it, right?

It'll be fine.

I actually think I have enough actual Leffe bottles now to bottle mine in them. I think they're cool bottles. I've been on a leffe kick lately, probably because of you guys all brewing this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #63
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Revvy. Have you ever tried making this with open fermentation? I would think it would be perfect for this style

Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #64
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabyboy View Post
Revvy. Have you ever tried making this with open fermentation? I would think it would be perfect for this style
No I am a chicken**** where wild fermentations are concerned. Lambics, all that stuff, I'm just way afraid of something taking hold in my gear and never getting it out.

I'm kinda fascinated by it, but in that drive by and look at an accident sort of way.

It'd be interesting if someone does it with this recipe, though.

But, I may be resorting to that today if my abbey ale starter doesn't take off. My lhbs was out of whitelabs, so I had to get Wyeast. I'm not a big fan of those things. I made a starter yesterday morning and it doesn't look at all like anything's happened, nor does the wort smell like it either. It probably won't get pitched til 3 or 4 so hopefully it will wake up.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #65
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

No I am a chicken**** where wild fermentations are concerned. Lambics, all that stuff, I'm just way afraid of something taking hold in my gear and never getting it out.

I'm kinda fascinated by it, but in that drive by and look at an accident sort of way.
Thorough sanitation would rid of any potential bacteria?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #66
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hi Revvy, thanks so much for posting the recipe. Leffe has been among my favorite belgians for years. My third batch ever (a few years ago) was a Leffe clone, which turned out "ok", but I've learned so much since then (thanks HBT!) that I'm excited to give it another shot with your recipe.

I did notice in your initial post that you've added frozen peaches to this recipe before. It just so happens that I have a bushel of fresh Colorado peaches in my possession, and have been looking for a way to get them into a good beer. Can you share some of the results of adding the peaches to this beer? How did it turn out? What ratio of peaches/gallon did you use? Skins/no skins? I saw this thread a few minutes ago and after reading your initial post I knew I had hit the jackpot...awesome beer/recipe and someone who has added peaches as well! Thanks again

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #67
Revvy

Recipes 

I'm not having the greatest brew day. Had trouble hitting my temp (too high) and trying to mess with it may have made it too cool. I'm just going to rdwh several beers and get what I get in the finished product. It will still be beer.

I'm going to enjoy the lions, and the fact that I am brewing......

Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #68
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Hi Revvy, thanks so much for posting the recipe. Leffe has been among my favorite belgians for years. My third batch ever (a few years ago) was a Leffe clone, which turned out "ok", but I've learned so much since then (thanks HBT!) that I'm excited to give it another shot with your recipe.

I did notice in your initial post that you've added frozen peaches to this recipe before. It just so happens that I have a bushel of fresh Colorado peaches in my possession, and have been looking for a way to get them into a good beer. Can you share some of the results of adding the peaches to this beer? How did it turn out? What ratio of peaches/gallon did you use? Skins/no skins? I saw this thread a few minutes ago and after reading your initial post I knew I had hit the jackpot...awesome beer/recipe and someone who has added peaches as well! Thanks again

I used a couple packages of frozen peach slices that I ran through a sanitized food processor and added to secondary. It came out ok...not great. Like I said earlier on this thread there's several people on here who have been successful with adding fruit to this recipe, go with their recommendations.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #69
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Ok, thanks....from looking at earlier posts, I'm thinking 7-8# since peaches have a milder flavor.

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #70
Revvy

Recipes 

I might have to make a 2.5 gallon batch to test this out, unless someone wants to beat me to it, but I'm sparging now and I have what appears to be a family of bees buzzing around, there's even a couple of babies trying to land on the tun.

But I was thinking about how this might make a nice "Honey Blonde" for all those folks who like honey beers.

I'm thinking about swapping out a pound to a pound and a half of the pilsner with the same amount of Gambrinous honey malt. That should give this a nice honey character.

What does anyone think? Anyone game for trying this?

Quick Reply