Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Batch # 1 a complete success. After a week in the keg it was a little cloudy, but after two weeks golden clear and delicious. As Revvy planned, the higher mash maintains the beer's body and keeps a Leffe-esque sweetness despite finishing at 1.010. Slightly peppery with strong yeast notes make this a delicious, albeit dangerous devil of a beer at 7.6% abv. The keg is almost gone already, which is a travesty that this didn't get more time to age.

On Batch # 2, it started a little lower at 1.064, but still finished at 1.010. Then, I decided to put that residual sweetness to work against 1.5 lbs of red raspberries. They've been devoured in the secondary, leaving a very light pinkish golden hue. Can't wait to get this one on tap and see how the sour raspberries work in this brew.
Awesome!!! I can't wait to here how the rasberry one turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #22
Powers
Recipes 

this picture shows off the beer color and clarity. it's actually clearer, but has a slight haze on the glass because it was pretty warm yesterday. this glass sat outside for awhile, and so the head is not quite what it usually is....

{click on picture for link to larger shot}

Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Hi Revvy, this recipe inspired me to brew up a Belgian Blonde - I haven't made a Belgian ale in a couple of years. I'm not following the recipe exactly, because I'm using ingredients on hand, but am inspired by it.

Got the Abbey Ale yeast starter going and think we'll brew on Sunday afternoon.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Hi Revvy, this recipe inspired me to brew up a Belgian Blonde - I haven't made a Belgian ale in a couple of years. I'm not following the recipe exactly, because I'm using ingredients on hand, but am inspired by it.

Got the Abbey Ale yeast starter going and think we'll brew on Sunday afternoon.
Sounds good. Best of luck.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #25
XanderBrew
Recipes 

Default How much Fruit do you recommmend

I am going to brew this this weekend, just wondering if I was to do strawberries frozen, how many pounds do you recommend?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had been planning to do this with cherries, but with strawberry season in full swing, my wife's asked me to use them instead. I had been waiting to do this about a month from now, but am doing it this weekend instead.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
Revvy

Recipes 

Xander, I really couldn't tell you how much fruit to use. It looks like Mikeb has some fruiting experience so maybe he can tell us what he uses.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #28
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Amount of fruit is really dependent on preference. My wife likes to have a decent amount of strawberry flavor in it, so I use 6 pounds. If you want it to be very fruity, use 8 pounds; less fruity, use 4 pounds.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #29
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So I might have missed it.. but did you ever figure out a PM version of this recipe?

heh.. if not I'll have to run it through a calculator to get to 4 gallons (the size of AG I am limited to due to what equipment I have on hand).

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #30
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
So I might have missed it.. but did you ever figure out a PM version of this recipe?

heh.. if not I'll have to run it through a calculator to get to 4 gallons (the size of AG I am limited to due to what equipment I have on hand).
The problem I find with coming up with an extract or PM version of some beers is that the base malt here is pilsner, and I don't know how able anyone is to get pilsner extract. I've never tried it.

I see more beer has Pilsner Malt extract here.

I guess I would use that for the majority of the base as that, but if I were doing a PM, use some Pils grain with the specialty grains tom help convert them. If you're doing extract with grains I would just go with the pils LME as the base and steep the rest.

I'd love it if someone would give it a try.

Quick Reply