Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #261
triat00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello,

Ive done the recipe (extract), my og was 1,066 and it finished at 1,018... I though that it was good to bottle after tree weeks (my rule of tomb; I take an sg after 10 days then bottle after 3 weeks in primary). I carbed with 120g of sugar (4,2oz).

Today (2 1/2 weeks after bottling) It is overcabed. At first, friends asked me about possible infection but Im realy "over doing it" with the washing and sanitizing...
I think that the problem is my "rule of tomb". I only take an sg after 10 days and then a FG at bottling. Do you think that it is the problem?

It is the second time I use belgian yeast and it is the second time I have an overcarbed beer.

Thanks for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #262
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by triat00
Hello,

Ive done the recipe (extract), my og was 1,066 and it finished at 1,018... I though that it was good to bottle after tree weeks (my rule of tomb; I take an sg after 10 days then bottle after 3 weeks in primary). I carbed with 120g of sugar (4,2oz).

Today (2 1/2 weeks after bottling) It is overcabed. At first, friends asked me about possible infection but Im realy "over doing it" with the washing and sanitizing...
I think that the problem is my "rule of tomb". I only take an sg after 10 days and then a FG at bottling. Do you think that it is the problem?

It is the second time I use belgian yeast and it is the second time I have an overcarbed beer.

Thanks for your help
How long we're they in the fridge before you popped one open? Sometimes they just need more time getting cold to absorb the O2

1.018, even for extract with this beer seems a little high. Belgian yeast can work quick and then take a bit to eat those final points.

Belgian yeast also can drop quick if temperatures are not managed, what temps did you ferment at? Did you ever try to raise and rouse the yeast to see if it will drop some points?

The amount of priming sugar you used seems right assuming you had a full 5 gallons of finished beer, if you had less then it may be that too

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #263
triat00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
How long we're they in the fridge before you popped one open? Sometimes they just need more time getting cold to absorb the O2

1.018, even for extract with this beer seems a little high. Belgian yeast can work quick and then take a bit to eat those final points.

Belgian yeast also can drop quick if temperatures are not managed, what temps did you ferment at? Did you ever try to raise and rouse the yeast to see if it will drop some points?

The amount of priming sugar you used seems right assuming you had a full 5 gallons of finished beer, if you had less then it may be that too
I let them in the fridge for 5-6 hours,... it was just a taste test. Maybe its a part of the problem.

I fermented at 66 and bottled at 68. Should I expect more attenuation from belgian yeast? I though that 70% was ok.

Next time, do you think I should take more readings? Ill try to rise the yeast if it appens again.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #264
triat00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Sounds interesting with the hops, and the yeasts. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Hey, that begs a question for you guys. What yeasts have you used on this? Every time I do this I use a different one, including harvest yeast, and so far nothing really beats the original yeast I used. What do you guys like? I think I need to get this back in rotation again...not sure if I want to use something new, or go back to old school on this.
Harvested yeast from Floreffe blonde and Floreffe triple. Second one turn out better and closer, to my opinion, to Leffe.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #265
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by triat00 View Post
I let them in the fridge for 5-6 hours,... it was just a taste test. Maybe its a part of the problem.

I fermented at 66 and bottled at 68. Should I expect more attenuation from belgian yeast? I though that 70% was ok.

Next time, do you think I should take more readings? Ill try to rise the yeast if it appens again.

Thanks
5-6 hours is not enough time to get the CO2 fully absorbed into the beer. Give a couple a week and they should improve

66-68 is a bit low IMO for Belgian yeast and IME most like to get ramped up a bit as fermentation progresses. I like to pitch mine around 65 and gradually raise to 72. This keeps the yeast quite active although 70% attenuation isn't bad.

More readings are not necessary. I take an OG and then look for FG around 10 days to 2 weeks.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #266
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Here's what I'm thinking of for a 2.5 gallon batch of the honey blond experiment.

4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel
8.0 oz Munich Malt
2.7 oz Biscuit Malt
1.8 oz Melanoiden Malt
12.0 oz Honey Malt
5.3 oz Honey (1.0 SRM)

0.38 oz Styrian Goldings- Boil 60.0 min
0.20 oz Saaz- Boil 30.0 min

0.5 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.00 ml]
Het Revvy. I am going to brew up your "original version" for sure but am also interested if you ever did this honey version? I know this is an old post but am curious if it turned out, if tried. I read the entire thread but did see that anyone comment on it. Either way I will likely try it anyway. It sounds good and I normally do 2.5 gallon batches anyway!

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, I am excited to give it a try.

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #267
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Nope, never did the honey one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #268
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Anyone could share the BeerSmith version of this - send me a site mail I will send you my email address. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #269
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
Anyone could share the BeerSmith version of this - send me a site mail I will send you my email address. Thanks!
????

Type it into your beersmith. By the time you get a response for whatever the heck you mean, you could have the whole thing imputted in BS yourself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

homebrewdad Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #270
BungalowBrewBro
Recipes 

Really excited to make this my next brew, but I have two questions:

1. For a90 min boil, I would boil the wort for 30 mins before adding my first round of hops?
2. Any thoughts on how this recipe would work with the YEAST STRAIN: 1388 | Belgian Strong Ale?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply