Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #231
VonAle
Almost not Pretend Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Would there be any advantage (or disadvantage) to mash this longer than 45 min ?
Also, I would be inclined to add the sugar to the fermenter after the initial activity slows. Would that make much difference here ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #232
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonAle View Post
Would there be any advantage (or disadvantage) to mash this longer than 45 min ?
I mashed for an hour, and mine turned out wonderful. Your mileage may vary.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 08-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #233
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed this up a week ago and all went well. With the exception of a wheat, this will be my first attempt at a Belgian. Even with a nice sized starter this one is still shooting through the blowoff a week later. I did end up with a higher gravity though. 5.1 gal of 1.077 wort... So this may not exactly fit the blond guideline, but who am I to complain about someextra sugar

If this finishes dry, it may be pushing 8%.

Any good recipes for a Belgian strong or quad I could use this yeast for?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #234
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

Btw, the ommegang yeast didn't work out. Pitched 530 as recommended. Still haven't decided if I want to keg or bottle this... I'm leaning toward bottling since a higher og might make some bottles good for aging.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #235
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
Btw, the ommegang yeast didn't work out. Pitched 530 as recommended. Still haven't decided if I want to keg or bottle this... I'm leaning toward bottling since a higher og might make some bottles good for aging.
It does age very very well. You really can't go wrong with a 6+ month old bottle of this stuff. It probably would bulk condition and be equally amazing kegged but be prepared to let it sit.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #236
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
It does age very very well. You really can't go wrong with a 6+ month old bottle of this stuff. It probably would bulk condition and be equally amazing kegged but be prepared to let it sit.
Yeah. I've had the same issue the homebrewdad did with this current batch for some reason (I used second generation abbey ale yeast that I didn't wash) that it's taken time time mellow. It was also the first batch I kegged in my new keezer, so I also think that had something to do with it. But it's FINALLY mellowing out and coming along. It's been in the keg for 5 weeks now.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #237
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Should have mentioned, the inaugural 10g batch was split 50/50 keg & bottles on 7/25. I guess there will have to be painstaking side by side comparisons starting next week. The bottles have been sitting at around 73-75 due to the heat. The hydro test was pretty harsh so I left the keg out for a week before putting it on gas.

I only have a simple regulator and a 3 way manifold so not sure if the kegged version will get 3 volumes at the expense of the other beers. Did you bump your co2 up?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #238
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Should have mentioned, the inaugural 10g batch was split 50/50 keg & bottles on 7/25. I guess there will have to be painstaking side by side comparisons starting next week. The bottles have been sitting at around 73-75 due to the heat. The hydro test was pretty harsh so I left the keg out for a week before putting it on gas.

I only have a simple regulator and a 3 way manifold so not sure if the kegged version will get 3 volumes at the expense of the other beers. Did you bump your co2 up?
Nah, I decided to, since it was my first kegged beer, to carb it at 12psi for 40 degrees f.

I'd can't wait to hear your comparison between kegged and bottle conditioned. Not having any bottled I can't do it, but this does taste different kegged then it ever has bottled.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #239
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

I'll probably just stick with the routine I've had since I started kegging. The first gallon gets racked onto sugar in a one gallon jug and the other 4-4.5 gallons goes into a keg. This is just enough for ten 12oz beers for comparison/aging and a few ounces to sample. If you have flip tops, all the better since the beauty of kegging lies in it's convenience. A capper and caps are one less thing to deal with.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #240
sb68
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

To start, thanks for this recipe Revvy. Like I stated in an earlier post I love Leffe and was greatly looking forward to brewing this up. Yesterday I wrote a post describing my brew process this past Saturday, the problem I was having, and a request for suggestions. Well, not sure what happened but either A) I'm retarded and hit preview post instead of post, or B) the forum ate my post...I am leaning toward A as the answer to that issue lol. Anyway, long story short I brewed up the ingredients, cooled, tossed into fermeter and dumped the vial of yeast on Saturday. No fermentation at all as of yesterday morning and I was concerned, headed to bew store after work to get another vial of yeast and wife called to tell me it was gurgling away and fermenting nicely so problem solved! I did change the ingredient list slightly since my LHBS online ordering system wouldn't let me order in increments like 9lb 13oz pilsner, so I had to get a full 10lb of the grains and my ingredient list looked more like:

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.4 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.1 %
6.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
10.6 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 5.4 %
1.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 25.1 IBUs
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 7.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

I don't think the the added grains will have much of an impact other than a tad more sugar if my efficiency was good, which it calculated at 73.2% Brewhouse Efficiency based on 1.068 SG, but I do think the bittering from the additional hops, especially the Styrian may make a difference. Lesson learned on this brew session, my second AG, make a starter.

Quick Reply