Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #221
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I need to pick up a bottle of this in the commercial version as I've been on a Belgian kick recently and never had this one. Looks like a winner and the recipe made my mouth water!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #222
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just kegged this after about a month after brew day and all I can say is wow! I picked up a six of the original a few weeks back and I cant tell the difference beween the two. Same spicyness, alcohol is just a bit more prominent in mine but thatll go away in a few weeks I think.

Well done clone!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #223
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Had the commercial version on Sunday and this is going on the future brew list!

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #224
sb68
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Man I want to make this beer, but I don't have a fermentation cooler and ambient temperature in my fermentation room is around 72-74ish so I'm wondering if this will cause a problem? If so, would pitching WLP500 or WLP550 change the character of the beer too much? Leffe is hands down my favorite commercial beer so if I can make a clone of it I sure will.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #225
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb68 View Post
Man I want to make this beer, but I don't have a fermentation cooler and ambient temperature in my fermentation room is around 72-74ish so I'm wondering if this will cause a problem? If so, would pitching WLP500 or WLP550 change the character of the beer too much? Leffe is hands down my favorite commercial beer so if I can make a clone of it I sure will.
Rubbermaid tub + water + ice for a few days while active fermentation is going on. Or swamp cooler.

72-74 would give you active fermentartion temps of 77-84... I think the high end for this yeast is 78.

My ambient temp was lower 60s and this one hit 73 and stayed there for about three days for me.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #226
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Rubbermaid tub + water + ice for a few days while active fermentation is going on. Or swamp cooler.

72-74 would give you active fermentartion temps of 77-84... I think the high end for this yeast is 78.

My ambient temp was lower 60s and this one hit 73 and stayed there for about three days for me.
Yes, just do a simple swamp cooler for the first few days of fermentation and you'll be fine. Freeze some waterbottles and you'll be golden.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #227
sb68
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yes, just do a simple swamp cooler for the first few days of fermentation and you'll be fine. Freeze some waterbottles and you'll be golden.
Thanks for the tips, I will give this a shot!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #228
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this recipe about 2 months ago. Since the beginning it's had a cidery taste to it. I think the issue may be that my efficiency was low and I added a pound of light brown sugar. After doing some searches on here, a cidery taste can be attributed to adding too high of a percentage of simple sugars to a recipe and not having it balanced with malt. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #229
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Think I'm going to give this, or something similar depending on what the brew shop has, a crack for my first Belgian.

I currently have some Ommegang yeast building up as I type this. Think that would be a good sub for the White Labs? My plan was to do a lighter Belgian and use the yeast from that to do a Belgian strong for the winter. This isn't "light" by any means, but it should still work.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:59 AM   #230
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
Think I'm going to give this, or something similar depending on what the brew shop has, a crack for my first Belgian.

I currently have some Ommegang yeast building up as I type this. Think that would be a good sub for the White Labs? My plan was to do a lighter Belgian and use the yeast from that to do a Belgian strong for the winter. This isn't "light" by any means, but it should still work.
Do it. I don't know about a "good sub" but I brewed it with WLP515 Antwerp Ale, and although it didn't taste anything like Leffe (lower attenuation resulted in a little bit thicker, sweeter beer, and a totally different ester profile, whatever) it was really delicious. I think this would come out really nice with any Belgian yeast. Thanks for the recipe Revvy!

Quick Reply