Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Bithead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Brewed this up this past Sunday and sub'd aromatic for the melanoiden. Pitched with Wyeast 1214 and fermenting in the low 70s. Samples tasted wonderful and the smells coming out of the fermenter are sweet and banana. I'll be bottling this so I'm wondering about how much priming sugar. thought maybe I'd find some experiences here. Guess I do more research.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Powers
Recipes 

hey revvy, what temp did you ferment this at?

also, what's the purpose behind the 158 degree mash for only 45 minutes? does the sugar addition increase the attenuation, so that the higher mash is necessary?

appreciate your input. i'm going on a work road trip up to Minneapolis and want to swing by Midwest to stock up on supplies. trying to pick a couple recipes so i know what to get

Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
Powers
Recipes 

just stopped by Midwest for the first time ever. GIANT store. A home brewers paradise!

Now I have enough grain to make 10 gallons of this stuff, but could really use some input on the questions above. I would really appreciate any advice you could swing my way.
thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
hey revvy, what temp did you ferment this at?

also, what's the purpose behind the 158 degree mash for only 45 minutes? does the sugar addition increase the attenuation, so that the higher mash is necessary?

appreciate your input. i'm going on a work road trip up to Minneapolis and want to swing by Midwest to stock up on supplies. trying to pick a couple recipes so i know what to get
I fermented it at my ambient room temp, at the time of year it was in the low 60's so I didn't need to do anything.

I can't recall where I got the 158 for 45 minutes mash....it probably came through my research into the style.

But the reason is that Beta Amylase enzymes denature at 158. This leaves more unfermentable long chain dextrins, you will have more "weight" and more mouthfeel with the 158f mash temp but about the same starting gravity. The Beta Amylase enzymes denature at 158. the final gravity will be higher as well.

You get more mouthfeel so that when you add the table sugar to the boil, you get the gravity boost but it's not "thin and cidery" there still is decent mouthfeel and even great lacing on the glass from the proteins.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
Powers
Recipes 

excellent. thanks revvy. i think i'm going to go separate into two 5 gallon batches. one straight up on the recipe. then another to rack onto fruit, peaches or apricots most likely. thanks for the feedback. i'll keep you posted on my results.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
groony1
Recipes 

Default Ferment Time

Revvy,
Thanks for the recipe. I just brewed it last night and noticed that you put 30 days for fermentation time. Is that 30 days in carboy or does that include time in the bottle? Just want to know what to expect. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by groony1 View Post
Revvy,
Thanks for the recipe. I just brewed it last night and noticed that you put 30 days for fermentation time. Is that 30 days in carboy or does that include time in the bottle? Just want to know what to expect. Thanks.
Thanks for brewing.

You will find that many folks opt for a long primary instead of a secondary these days. There's about a million threads on the topic. I leave nearly all my beers in primary for a month, then bottle. Bottling is at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees. I figure 7-8 weeks from grain to glass, and it is worth it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Powers
Recipes 

i brewed this up yesterday and everything went pretty smooth. i used a little more pils to offset some inefficiencies in my system and ended up at 1.067. i pitched a starter of WL530 and it was forming krausen within 6 hours.

currently, the fermenter is in my basement where it's about 61 degrees ambient. the temp strip on the carboy is reading 66. i imagine that means its going to get closer to 70 as the fermentation peaks, which fits within the comfortable range for this yeast. of course, 530 is the Westmalle strain and according to Brew Like a Monk, Westmalle allows the temp to rise to 68 at the peak. Leffe, on the other hand, uses a different strain which I doubt is commercially available. But they let their yeast go to 77 at the peak. i realize Westmalle's strain today is likely different from the one White Labs captured, but I'm going to stick with Revvy's suggestion to keep the temp lower.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Powers
Recipes 

Batch #1 appears to be successful. finished at 1.010. it's kegged and should be ready to test by the weekend.

Despite my Batch #1 success, Batch #2 is trouble from the start. i repitched slurry from the Batch #1 yeast cake, and it's acting kind of strange at 24 hours. the yeast grew and cropped, but didn't really take off actively. this is way different than the 6 hour start i got on the first batch. I'm warming it up a touch and also pitched some top-cropped WL530 that I harvested from the first batch. hopefully that dual approach will take care of any issues.

EDIT: by warming it up to 66 and pitching some nice top-cropped WL530, things finally got rolling last night. it will be interesting to do a side by side on these two batches to see the impact of the 24 hour lag v. 6 hour lag....

Old 05-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #20
Powers
Recipes 

Batch # 1 a complete success. After a week in the keg it was a little cloudy, but after two weeks golden clear and delicious. As Revvy planned, the higher mash maintains the beer's body and keeps a Leffe-esque sweetness despite finishing at 1.010. Slightly peppery with strong yeast notes make this a delicious, albeit dangerous devil of a beer at 7.6% abv. The keg is almost gone already, which is a travesty that this didn't get more time to age.

On Batch # 2, it started a little lower at 1.064, but still finished at 1.010. Then, I decided to put that residual sweetness to work against 1.5 lbs of red raspberries. They've been devoured in the secondary, leaving a very light pinkish golden hue. Can't wait to get this one on tap and see how the sour raspberries work in this brew.

Quick Reply