Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #181
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn View Post
Mine is 3 days away from 4 weeks in primary. Gonna transfer to a keg Sunday and let it carb the slow and steady way. What is everyone's fg on this? The original recipe is saying 1.010. Has everyone been hitting that low of a gravity? Last time I checked I was only around 1.016-18 I think. I did warm it up at that time and roused the yeast carefully. I think it may have gotten too cold.
Mine was a partial mash version, so both my OG and FG were higher than Revvy's recipe - but that was expected. My targets were 1.075 and 1.017, and I ended up hitting 1.078 and 1.014, respectively.

Apparently, mine will be a tad boozy.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #182
homebrewdad
Recipes 

I couldn't wait any longer, so last night (after four weeks in bottles), I cracked open the first of these. My tasting notes follow.

Appearance - pours a rich golden color, a bit cloudy. About one finger's worth of densely packed off white head that really persists well throughout the glass. Chill haze is present thanks to my chilling issues. Bleh.

Smell - very sweet, fruity bouquet; floral and grassy hop scents are easily noticeable.

Taste - light, but surprisingly complex; nice grainy malt charater with serious spicy overtones - you'd almost swear that black pepper or other flavoring spices had been added. As the glass warms a bit, a little more malt sweetness becomes apparent. Some bitterness at the end of every sip, but not overwhelming. A hint of alcohol harshness is also noticeable at the end. Dryer than the aroma suggests.

Mouthfeel - More substantial than the color implies; drinkable, balanced. A bit of a carbonic bite; carbonation is definitly noticeable on the tongue, even halfway through the glass.

Overall - I'll be interested to see just how this stacks up against the original beer; my impression is that this one just feels "bigger". Right now, this is a good beer with nice potential, but I think that it needs a few weeks to fully mellow into the great beer than I think it can be.

Temps never got high on this one, so I'm not really worried about fusels; the fact is that this is an 8.4% ABV beer, and I'm thinking it's just green and boozy still. I'm hoping this is where the carbonic bite is also coming from - that it just needs time to mellow. If these issues calm down with some time, I could see myself keeping this beer on hand all the time. I plan to give it two weeks, then drink another bottle, then go from there.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #183
homebrewdad
Recipes 

So last night, I consumed the "real deal" - a commercial bottle of Leffe Blonde (for research purposes).

Appearance - very slightly lighter than my brew. Extremely clear, which mine was not. Ah, well. Extremely similar head and retention.

Smell - holy cow, this was spot on! I had noticed how mine had just an extremely sweet scent to it... so does Leffe.

Taste - again, I was stunned at how close this was, all things considered. An almost identical spicy kick up front - this recipe definitely nailed that, as well as the grainy character. Biggest difference was that the "real" Leffe lacked the alcohol harshness I was detecting in my brew; hopefully, mine will mellow out. I detected a very slight fruity hint with a touch of sweetness... my own brew lacked this fruitiness. I'm again hoping that this may become apparent with age.

Mouthfeel - very similar, with a tad less bite than mine. Perhaps a touch thinner, as well.

Overall - a very drinkable beer with surprising complexity. Super kudos to Revvy, as this recipe almost perfectly replicates the commercial Leffe (and it might still get there).

This is going to be a long week and a half before I try another of mine. I have some very high hopes, though... I've seen what age can do for homebrew.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #184
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

So I finally got around to brewing this as Leffe is a favorite of mine and after patiently awaiting its arrival I sampled a bottle this weekend after 10 days in the bottle. I know it's not ready but my questions are not about the fact that it's still young, more about color and attenuation so here goes:

The original recipe was for 5 gallons, using Beersmith I scaled the recipe to my batch size of 6.25 gallons and normal efficiency of 70% and here is what was brewed:

13lbs 7.5oz Pilsner 2 Row
1lb 5.6oz Munich
7.1oz Biscuit
4.5oz Melanoiden
14.4oz Table sugar
1oz Styrian FWH
1oz Styrian 60 min
.5oz Saaz 30 min
.5oz Saaz 15 min
2L starter WY1762 decanted

Est OG 1.070
Measured OG 1.068
Est FG 1.012
Measured FG 1.020
Actual Batch size 6.25G

Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes and batch sparged
Fermented 30 days at 62F

Est ABV 7.6%
Actual ABV 6.3%
Est SRM 5.7
EST IBU 34.1

SO here are my questions: Actual efficiency was a little over 67%, The IBU difference from original recipe is not a concern as its pretty close. The color on the first pour was considerably darker than what is listed and am curious if the scaled conversion was perhaps off and what malt I should consider reducing to get closer to the real thing?

Second is my attenuation and efficiency. I had no problems with the mash, hit all temps and maintained throughout and hit all my volumes exactly. I know my fermentation temp was a little lower than it should be so some of the flavor notes may be off a bit but of more concern is not hitting my FG. I thought at mashing lower I would have gotten a bit more out of it, is it the lower temp causing the yeast to drop out faster than it should have since its rated as a high flocculating yeast?. would a higher temp have lessened this?

I am planning on brewing this again soon and would like to pin down some of these issues to improve the next batch. While still young at only 10 days in the bottle, the beer had a pretty good head, decent clarity and taste was pretty similar to what I expected and know it will improve over the next month of conditioning. I always sample early so I can begin my note taking process and get a general feel of where things are heading.

Appreciate the input to my few questions, this was my first Belgian and first use of the yeast so I am trying to figure it out, thanks!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #185
homebrewdad
Recipes 

I'll be interested to see what the pros say for you, duboman. My own mash temps got a tad low, and I ended up with a fuzz lower FG than predicted (which makes sense).

For the record, I did a partial mash version. My own color was a hair darker, but I chalked this up to the extract use.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #186
kramerwtmf
Recipes 

Just took my first gravity reading after 4+ weeks I primary. It was way high about 1.024. The og came in a bit high, 1.073. I was wondering what possible causes would have contributed to the high fg.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #187
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerwtmf View Post
Just took my first gravity reading after 4+ weeks I primary. It was way high about 1.024. The og came in a bit high, 1.073. I was wondering what possible causes would have contributed to the high fg.
Did you do all grain? Partial mash?

Did your mash temps get high?

What about your fermentation temps?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #188
duboman
Recipes 

So I was able to do a taster tester with a professional brewer friend of mine and we came up with a few things that answered my questions:

Color: WE determined that since I scaled my recipe up from 5 to 6.25 gallons BeerSmith made some adjustments in the specialty grains that went a little higher than they should have so we tinkered with the percentages and amounts and came up with a modified grain bill that looks like it will get me the correct SRM. Then we added in some additional base to get back the OG.

Attenuation: I fermented to cold for the yeast and caused it to drop earlier than it should have, I really should have been up around 68-70 and I was a steady 62-63 and even with rousing the primary I could not get it to go any further. I had a feeling this was the case so next time I plan on pitching around 64-65 and let it free rise through active fermentation and then, because my ambient is 66 I will use a brew belt to get the temp up to the 68-70 range as active begins to slow and maintain at that temp to keep the yeast happy and active as they clean things up.

@Homebrewdad, you said you did this as a PM so perhaps your darker color relates similarly and need to cut back a bit and then add back as base malt to maintain OG

I'm going to tackle this again in a few weeks so we'll see how it goes. We additionally determined that I actually got closer to a Goose Island Matilda clone than a Leffe, and that's some great beer as well!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #189
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
So I was able to do a taster tester with a professional brewer friend of mine and we came up with a few things that answered my questions:

Color: WE determined that since I scaled my recipe up from 5 to 6.25 gallons BeerSmith made some adjustments in the specialty grains that went a little higher than they should have so we tinkered with the percentages and amounts and came up with a modified grain bill that looks like it will get me the correct SRM. Then we added in some additional base to get back the OG.

Attenuation: I fermented to cold for the yeast and caused it to drop earlier than it should have, I really should have been up around 68-70 and I was a steady 62-63 and even with rousing the primary I could not get it to go any further. I had a feeling this was the case so next time I plan on pitching around 64-65 and let it free rise through active fermentation and then, because my ambient is 66 I will use a brew belt to get the temp up to the 68-70 range as active begins to slow and maintain at that temp to keep the yeast happy and active as they clean things up.

@Homebrewdad, you said you did this as a PM so perhaps your darker color relates similarly and need to cut back a bit and then add back as base malt to maintain OG

I'm going to tackle this again in a few weeks so we'll see how it goes. We additionally determined that I actually got closer to a Goose Island Matilda clone than a Leffe, and that's some great beer as well!
I wondered about the specialty grains for you. Thanks for letting us know.

I personally did not alter the grain bill any, aside from subbing out some DME for part of the base malt. I expect my darkness is probably due to carmelization of the extract during my boil, nothing else.

The ferm temp findings make sense. Belgians like things a bit warmer than many yeasts; this particular strain is supposed to do fine in the low to mid seventies, and I have read quite a few reports of people letting it get even warmer (with nice results). Mine hit 73 degrees (ambient temp of around 65), and the flavor profile seems quite good.

Yay for you that you still got good beer!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #190
duboman
Recipes 

Yea, I'm pretty psyched, each bottle I try keeps getting better so I'm sitting on it now, the fact that it's really damn close to Matilda makes me even happier as that is truly another favorite of mine!

It's kinda fun to unexpectedly screw up a recipe and discover something great

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply