Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #171
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I had promised a blog entry on this bottling, but have been sucking at getting anything posted. Finally, it is done.

If you care to read about my bottling misadventures (with pictures!), have at it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #172
kramerwtmf
Recipes 

I suppose I should preface this post by saying that this is only my second all grain brew. I brewed this recipe up on Monday and everything seemed to go well. Took a gravity reading and tasted it and it tasted great. However today, two days after brewing this, the smell coming off of my fermentor is a very sour smell almost like a terrible fart. Is this normal or is my beer going to taste like someone farted in my mouth? I also made a one liter yeast starter which smelled great before I pitched it.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #173
homebrewdad
Recipes 

To be honest, my airlock smelled very nice the entire time for this batch - very much like bread. However, fart smells are not at all unusual in fermentations, and they don't affect the final smell or flavor of the beer.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #174
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerwtmf View Post
I suppose I should preface this post by saying that this is only my second all grain brew. I brewed this recipe up on Monday and everything seemed to go well. Took a gravity reading and tasted it and it tasted great. However today, two days after brewing this, the smell coming off of my fermentor is a very sour smell almost like a terrible fart. Is this normal or is my beer going to taste like someone farted in my mouth? I also made a one liter yeast starter which smelled great before I pitched it.
Fermentation is often ugly and stinky and perfectly normal...It doesn't matter something smells, or looks UNTIL the beer is carbed and conditioned....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #175
kramerwtmf
Recipes 

Cool thanks. I guess I just gotta wait and see. Thanks for the speedy replies!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #176
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ive had this on tap for about three weeks now,just keeps getting better !will definatly brew again.thanx revvy and bonus:washed the yeast and on "the big brew day" made the westy 12 clone and pitched a ton of this yeast and the blow off tube chugged for a solid week.awesome!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #177
homebrewdad
Recipes 

After allowing almost four weeks in the bottle, I put two in the fridge last night; I plan to crack the first one Saturday night.

I did notice a relative ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottles... not surprising, I suppose, considering the issues I had at bottling time. Guess I'll have to be sure to do some good homebrew pours.

Cannot wait to see how this beer does.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #178
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Dammit, you're torturing even me, and I'm the king of patience.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #179
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Dammit, you're torturing even me, and I'm the king of patience.
LOL what would you have me do? Saturday night will be eight weeks on the dot from brew date. I could have bottled after three (instead of four), I suppose, and I could have tried a bottle after three weeks... but I want it to be GOOD. I'm hoping it is fully carbed, I'd hate to have to wait longer.

I'll be curious to see how it ages, too.

Definitely gotta pick up a couple of bottles of the "real thing" to see how it compares.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #180
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine is 3 days away from 4 weeks in primary. Gonna transfer to a keg Sunday and let it carb the slow and steady way. What is everyone's fg on this? The original recipe is saying 1.010. Has everyone been hitting that low of a gravity? Last time I checked I was only around 1.016-18 I think. I did warm it up at that time and roused the yeast carefully. I think it may have gotten too cold.

Quick Reply