Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #151
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I pitch yeast and then leave it alone for 4-6 weeks temps ambient are 66-68F Bottle and condition in my beer whirlpool for 3 weeks at 72- and then hide it from the wife as long as possible. She's a fan.

Im not sure belgian yeast would do much in a cool lager enviro.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #152
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

this thing is chugging away,i know this is an aggressive yeast but the funny thing is it took a couple days for the starter to get going,maybe just had a lot of sleepers?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #153
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default well

Mine will have been 4 weeks in primary this weekend. I planned to rack it last weekend, but life got crazy.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #154
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

So you're kegging it, right? I don't think I can wait 3 weeks to hear how it turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #155
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So you're kegging it, right? I don't think I can wait 3 weeks to hear how it turns out.
Kegging? I have heard of these elusive creatures, but I do not possess one.

Sadly, I shall be bottling.

I currenly have two batches that really ought to be bottled - this one (though I could let it sit longer, I suppose) and my imperial nut brown ale (which is pushing three total months of bulk aging).

Unfortunately, I don't have enough free bottles! I have three cases of new bottles, and *almost* one full case of bottles from my first batch (these have been rinsed, but they need a good soak to de-label them).

Guess I need to do a little more drinking than usual. You know, to free up those needed bottles.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #156
starman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Friday the 13th was last week.

Seek more bottles. You can never have too many.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #157
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Friday the 13th was last week.

Seek more bottles. You can never have too many.
I agree. I plan to pick some more up shortly.

One (self imposed) problem I have is that I am of the persuasion that since I spend a lot of time and effort in creating good beer, I want it to look good, too. Therefore, I don't do the recycled commercial bottle routine, not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that... I nerd out and print out custom labels, use cool caps, etc.

That means that I have to buy bottles, and I just don't own quite enough of them at the moment. Got to go hit the LHBS...

Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #158
starman
Recipes 

Presentation is everything but you can still recycle over time to build the pipeline.

If you skip the embossed brands like Sam Adams and New Belgium a little oxyclean and hot water soak will release the labels with no effort. After that its pretty easy to match up a complete batch of either long necks, shorties, and bombers from a variety of commercial brewers.

Like you I had to buy initially to get past the pipeline 'bottleneck'. Now I'm slowly working toward the goal of a full batch of recycled Leffe bottles but at $10 a six pack vs $20 for 5 gallons of arguably superior Revvy's Leffe it will be a while.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #159
homebrewdad
Recipes 

I'm not even going to worry about bottling the Leffe clone in clear bottles... all plain amber longnecks for me, at present.

I'll get there, it just might take a bit. I have almost enough bottles now, so it'll be okay.

Think I will bottle this blonde first, then see about the imperial brown. After all, if three months of bulk aging is okay for it, three months plus a week or two should still be okay.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #160
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Bottled the Leffe last night, with less than spectacular results. Forgot to purchase priming sugar, no big deal, just adjusted and went with table sugar.

Auto siphon decided to be dumb once, gave me some bubbles, had to add a litle sanitized water to recreate my seal.

Big issue was that, despite my best efforts, I picked up some trub when racking to the bottling bucket. As a result, the last of my bucket just had too much sediment in it for me to keep the stupid bottling wand clear enough to bottle. I ended up with 43 2/3 bottles instead of 48... and I poured that 2/3, since it had lived through several nasty bubble issues AND had some trub in it. Really sucked, as I defintiely had enough volume for a full two cases of beer, but it became abundantly clear that the only way I'd get those last bottles would have been by removing the bottling tip, letting the junk flow, and dealing with a few oxidized bottles. I sadly poured the remainder.

To add insult to injury, this took far too long, I ended up in bed late again.

I know that it's fashionable to avoid secondaries unless you are doing fruit or wood, but I feel like I'd have avoided this issue had I racked to secondary first, then let that tiny bit of leftover trub settle before bottling.

On the bright side, I have enogh bottles now for my imperial nut brown.

Ah well. I should have 43 excellent beers, right?

I'll post a full blog entry with details and pics, if you care to read such.

Quick Reply