Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #141
thodson2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewed this on Saturday, and man does it smell and taste good! We ended up with a OG of 1.06, which is great! I went and looked at it yesterday, and it blew sediment all through the airlock, and ontop of the bucket! Man does it have some feisty yeast!

I am planning on racking it over 5-6 lbs costco frozen strawberries (thawed) and making a SWMBO Slayer out of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #142
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I made a couple of alterations to the partial mash recipe I posted earlier... partially due to tweaking for getting the most grain I could use (wanted to minimize extract use), paritally due to the fact that AHS was out of both hop varieties called for in the recipe. I substituted Glacier (5.6% alpha) and Williamette (4.0% alpha); supposedly, the flavor/aroma should be similar, and the alphas were the same.

I'll post the full revised recipe later.

I brewed this last night, started way later than I should have, ended up going to bed at 4:00 AM... but by 9:00 AM this morning, I had a bubbling airlock, and by noon, fermentation was in full swing. Gravity reading was .002 over my target, so I feel very good about this batch (despite some issues with my sparge... and with splattering).

This will be the last late night batch I do... aside from the sleep issues, SWMBO woke up from dreams of spoiled groceries and odd coffee to the smell of my beer brewing, and was less than thrilled. Will definitely use this an an excuse to snag a turker fryer, get outside, and move on to all grain.

Will post a full blog entry with pics within the next day or two.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #143
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Default wow

Fermentation is really chugging along some 18 hours after pitching. I am probably going to have to go to a blowoff tube tonight to avoid issues.

Ambient temp in my basement is 66 degrees; my carboy thermometer tells me that this beer is clocking in at 73 degrees right now.

I thought about doing the wet t-shirt thing for this beer, but I did some reading about this yeast (White Labs WLP530 - Abbey Ale). Apparetly, it's not at all unheard of for people to use this one in the mid seventies, or even higher... and at higher temps, it apparently imparts some stronger spicy (and sometimes fruity) notes to the beer. I think that would be perfect for a Leffe clone, so unless it gets truly hot, I'm going to pretend to be Belgian, leave this yeast alone, and let it do its thing.

I am ridiculously excited about this batch.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #144
homebrewdad
Recipes 

...and yep, I am at the blowoff tube stage. All sorts of foam coming out of the airlock.

My four year old and I discovered this, and he was really riled up by it. "Hurry, Da-da!" he exclaimed. "Your beer is getting ready to ESPLODE!"

When I read how people use 6.5 gallon carboys to avoid any issues with blowoffs, I just have to smile. This is two batches in a row that apparently didn't get the 6.5 gallon memo.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #145
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I really can't wait for you to get to taste the recipe. I hope it lives up to your excitement!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #146
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Blog entry is up: Brewing Until 4:00 AM, or a First Partial Mash. Included are narrative and pics.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #147
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this up 10 days ago. Took a sample today. Very Tasty @ 1.017. Initial fermentation was explosive (if I waited another 30 minutes to put on a blow off tube I would've been cleaning beer off the ceiling!). Right now it's fermentating @ 65º. Do you think I should leave it be, or bring it to my basement to bring the temp up a bit and let the yeasties finish up a little warmer?

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #148
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Nah, I think I would leave it where it is.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #149
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

im doing a 10 gal batch of this today,upped the buscuit to a full lb(for 10 gal)nailed the mash temp.also made a 2 ltr starter. ive been chomping @ the bit to do this and right in time for late spring.imo a great time to drink this one.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #150
brumer0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long are you all letting this age? Mine is finishing up its week of lagering (in secondary) but is still very green. Thanks

Quick Reply