Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #121
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you have any pilsner in your grainbill you should be boiling for 90 minutes...the reason you do is to drive off the dms precursors...
That's what reading had told me; originally, I had planned on doing a 60 minute boil, but I had decided to do a 90 minute for the potential DMS issues.

I'm glad that speedster's batch went well, but I can invest the extra half hour to give myself every chance of excellent beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #122
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what those precursors are. Can someone explain? I'm brewing this again today. Once my grains steep and then boil that's over 90 minutes if that counts? I'm using 10.5 lbs of pilsner LME in today's batch. Trying to boost the ABV.

Kegged: black ale
Kegged: centenial ale

Primary:about to brew a 4th run of Dbl Choco Oatmeal stout
secondary:nothing.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #123
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster00 View Post
I'm not sure what those precursors are. Can someone explain? I'm brewing this again today. Once my grains steep and then boil that's over 90 minutes if that counts? I'm using 10.5 lbs of pilsner LME in today's batch. Trying to boost the ABV.
Steep and mash times do not count towards the boil requirement. It's one thing to toss in some extract late in the boil, but grains (especially pilsner grains) really need full boil times.

DMS (dimethyl sulfide) gives you a cooked corn or vegetable flavor in your beer.

Again, it's worth it to me to boil for the full time to be sure.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #124
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Steep and mash times do not count towards the boil requirement. It's one thing to toss in some extract late in the boil, but grains (especially pilsner grains) really need full boil times.

DMS (dimethyl sulfide) gives you a cooked corn or vegetable flavor in your beer.

Again, it's worth it to me to boil for the full time to be sure.

Ah thanks. All my pilsners are in the LME. My grain bill is nothing but malts.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #125
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster00 View Post
Ah thanks. All my pilsners are in the LME. My grain bill is nothing but malts.
You don't have any 2 row in a partial mash version of this recipe? 2 row is a pilsner grain.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #126
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
You don't have any 2 row in a partial mash version of this recipe? 2 row is a pilsner grain.
I dont. All my pilsners are in the LME. 10.4 lbs worth. I brewed this yesterday and forgot to take my gravity last night before I pitched so I took it this morning after it had been going over night. MY gravity this morning was 1.09.

And I did end up adding 6.5 oz of table sugar. Im anxious to see how it turns out Since I changed the recipe up slightly this time. It smells fantastic and I have a good inch of kroussen this morning already. Im guessing it will be in the 10% ABV range

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #127
homebrewdad
Recipes 

So what are you partial mashing if no 2 row? Sounds like an extract version, not a partial mash.

Hmmm, on second thought, I guess that some of the speciality grains for this recipe do need a mash. That's a teensy mash, isn't it?

Note that this is not intended as an insult, just an observation. Hope the new one turns out as well for you as the last one did!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #128
speedster00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would say its a hybrid. I did steep the 3 malt grains albiet only a few pounds total. I guess since I left out the pilsner grains only its still considered a partial mash. Since most of the 2-row would have been converted out to LME anyway, I just did it all that way to boost the ABV a bit. Last batch I did had some 2-row grains but if I recall it was only a couple of pounds and I used 6.5 lbs of LME. So this round all the malt and hops schedule is the same...I just changed the ratio of 2-row and went all LME....we shall see in a week or so how it does. Its fermenting like crazy as we speak.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #129
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

After a few weeks in the RG Bottle Jaccuzzi, I decided to give my Honey Leffe test batch a taste. Here's what I brewed for a 5.5 g batch:

Brewed 12.11
Bottled 01.13
SG 1.072 (overshot target of 1.067)
FG 1.008
ABV 8.41
Mash Temp 158
75 min boil

Grain Bill (anticipated efficiency was 65%):
9.75 lb Pilsner Bel
1.5 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Munich
4.8 oz Biscuit
4.0 oz Melanoiden
12 oz Turbinado
1 lb Honey - from mixed flowers. Added at flame out.

2.0 oz Styrian Goldings 3.8% Alpha... FWH. (boggle, unintentional inexplicable deviation)
.71 oz Sterling 7% Alpha 30min (Substitution for Saaz)

WLP530, 1.5L starter from stir plate. Fermented at 68-72

Taste Notes:
A - Color is a deep honey tone, certainly much darker than Leffe. Dropping the Turbinado which wasn't supposed to be there in the first place might help some, but not sure how else to lighten without impacting the flavor.
S - The honey really held on to its smell. The wife sampled and picked up the honey without knowing what she was drinking.
T - A pleasant honey malt sweetness without being overbearing. The FWH misadventure seems to have had no impact. The alcohol heat had relaxed a lot since being bottled but this one could probably use another month+ to mellow out. I'm not sure if my ferm temps were too low but the yeast esters are pretty subtle.
M - Similar to RLC.

To be continued!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #130
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Starman, that's a really pretty beer (the color is gorgeous and unique), and sounds pretty cool to brew.

But why post it in this thread? Why not create your own? I thought the idea for the recipes section was for people to post their recipes, and people to comment on them, maybe suggest revisions or dicuss their own results, etc. You posted a totally different (albeit cool) beer here.

Start another thread so that people can find yours!

Quick Reply