Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #101
timuel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm brewing a slightly modified version of this tomorrow. I basically just rounded up my grainbill.
I'm thinking of picking up the ingredients for this recipe tomorrow... how did the rounded-up one work out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #102
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuel View Post
I'm thinking of picking up the ingredients for this recipe tomorrow... how did the rounded-up one work out?
I'm drinking my way through the batch now. It is very tasty.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #103
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Bottled my crack at the honey blond based on Revvy's suggested grain bill scaled to 5 gallons with a few operator error based deviations.

I forgot to remove 12 oz of Turbinado from my beersmith copy and paste of the original Leffe Clone. Oops. I was sleep deprived, didnt catch it and added both. The hydrometer flask sample is expectedly a little alcoholy/hot. Sg was 1.072 and it finished at 1.008 / 8.41%ABV. It does have a nice honey note, so hopefully it will mellow with time.

My other unintended change was completely pooching the hop schedule. My styrian goldings were only 3.8 alpha so i had calculated needing just shy of 2 oz to match the 1.36 oz @5.4. Inexplicably my brain decided to toss them as FWH... completely forgetting it should have been a 60 min add of 90.

Also LHBS was out of Saaz so aroma was subbed with .7oz of Sterling

Despite royally blowing the brew day, its still pretty tasty. I guess time will tell. 6 days 23 hours, 45 minutes until its perfectly conditioned, right?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #104
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I have played with this recipe in BeerSmith to come up with an extract version. Both the OG and FG are a tad low (though the ABV remains the same), and I can get the IBU and SRM ratings to equal almost the same.

However, the recipe it spits out only calls for less than four ounces of specialty grains - everything else is extract, table sugar, and hops.

Does that sound reasonable to anyone who knows what is what? Granted, I am an absolute novice, but I'm used to seeing speciality grains of a couple of pounds or so.

I'd love to do a Leffe clone, but I'm not ready for all grain (or even partial mash) yet. I've seen quite a few recipes online (most of which vary wildly), but they don't get reviewed as well as this one by Revvy. I'm thinking that this is the one to emulate.

Any thoughts?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #105
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I put this on keg late last year, and we were gone for several weeks for the holidays. It is almost gone, although I felt it had a slight off flavor. Been trying to get to a homebrew club meeting to get some guidance on what the off flavor is, but haven't been able to make it. I don't think it's the recipe, my wife thins it is just tartness from the strawberries. I'm more concerned with it being a cleanliness issue. Not a major problem, it's obviously still going quick!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #106
homebrewdad
Recipes 

No answer to my questions on this thread, nor in other places that I have posted it... so I took the initiative to educate myself.

Sure, I could do a full extract conversion of this recipe, but it will certainly be missing some character. Due to the fact that the speciality grains needed for this brew require mashing, I think that this recipe can only be an all grain or a partial mash (assuming that you want a quality beer).

In related news, I have decided to attempt a partial mash on my next batch.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #107
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb
I put this on keg late last year, and we were gone for several weeks for the holidays. It is almost gone, although I felt it had a slight off flavor. Been trying to get to a homebrew club meeting to get some guidance on what the off flavor is, but haven't been able to make it. I don't think it's the recipe, my wife thins it is just tartness from the strawberries. I'm more concerned with it being a cleanliness issue. Not a major problem, it's obviously still going quick!
I think the flavor might be bitterness from the seeds from leaving the strawberries in too long...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #108
Bill_in_VA
Recipes 

This is one out of a couple recipes I'm thinking of doing next. I looked through all 11 pages and if it was mentioned I completely read right past it; what final gravity is this typically going to? Thanks

Edit: Sorry, I see the parts above "Category 18a" weren't displayed on mobile for some reason

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #109
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_VA View Post
This is one out of a couple recipes I'm thinking of doing next. I looked through all 11 pages and if it was mentioned I completely read right past it; what final gravity is this typically going to? Thanks
Well, according to Revvy's recipe, you get:
Original Gravity: 1.068 (est)
Final Gravity: 1.010

AKA, about 7.6% ABV.

The whole recipe is on post #1 of the thread.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #110
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1940 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 1061

It's a good beer, and a bit stronger than I expected from a "blonde"!

Got a bottle directly from Revvy.

Quick Reply