Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #91
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Has anyone tried fermenting this with Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)? I'm planning to make the Rye Saison here on the site (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/how-rye-i-am-rye-saison-2011-1st-place-best-show-hbt-comp-238831/) and would like to reuse the yeast for this beer....or perhaps brew them in the reverse order. I imagine it would work, but concerned about attenuation of 3711....maybe just do a shorter mash and keep it at 156-158F?
I've got a batch of HRIA with a few weeks left to go in the carboy. Since the saison recommended underpitching, maybe do that one first? I'm not confident on pitching rates off of washed yeast when it sits in primary for 4 weeks.

Fwiw, I have done Revvy's Leffe Clone with 3787 and while very good, its a smidge on the dry side. (Finished at. 002, but my mash temp was also low - 155) I went ahead and ordered 530.

Please share results if you do it. My SWMBO is part Belgian, loves Belgian blondes, and just finished a 9 month beer break to DIY brewers assistant. Thank goodness she's nursing or my pipeline wouldn't handle the shock. Needless to say, ill probably try it eventually.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #92
JRemy
Recipes 

Default Sugar ??

Would corn sugar work as a substitute for the table sugar? I would go with the candi sugar but I want to save some money does it impart a different flavor?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #93
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRemy View Post
Would corn sugar work as a substitute for the table sugar? I would go with the candi sugar but I want to save some money does it impart a different flavor?
Why don't you want to use table sugar? Table sugar is what the Belgians Used.

All Candi sugar is is inverted TABLE sugar. And since it's light, it doesn't need to be carmalized, so it will invert fine in the boil.

I discuss it here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #94
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Anybody know how many volumes Leffe is carbed to? I want to make this one but I don't have enough "strong" bottles laying around if it's carbed too high.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #95
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
Anybody know how many volumes Leffe is carbed to? I want to make this one but I don't have enough "strong" bottles laying around if it's carbed too high.
Leffe bottles are "normal" thickness bottles. I use regular bottles and beersmith has me carbing at 2.4 volumes of co2. Nothing fancy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #96
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks,
Leffe has always seemed like it was carbed to a normal level but I wasn't sure.

Eventually, I'll get enough bottles to do a high-carb Belgian; I just don't want to wait that long to try this one.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #97
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Love Leffe. Made this recipe. o.g. 1.063 after 5 days im at 1.020/1.019. already tastes like Leffe. I do month primaries. Its only been five days and i love it, how can i wait a month?

I used Tettnanger and Kent Goldings, didn't have Revvy's hops.

Thanks Revvy!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #98
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure if F.G. is going to go down though, probably not enough oxygen. oh well, still is awesome

Old 12-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #99
RJS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

oh ya, and used 1214 belgian abbey. Starter smelled like i mashed some banana's and stuck them in a flask with water.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #100
callagp7552
Recipes 

A buddy and I made a 10 gallon batch that will have fermented for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. Pulled a gravity sample after week and a half to find the gravity at 1.019. I had it stuck in my head that 1.018 was our target FG. To keep a long story short I realized that 1.018 came from BeerSmith. Is everyone else brewing this getting all the way down to 1.010?

While I have anyone's ear who is reading this I have another question. One of the samples we pulled had a fairly strong bitter taste to it. My wife described it as citrus and by buddy said grapefruit. If it's not done fermenting (which I'm hoping) then I'll just wait and see but I was curious if anyone else experienced this. Doubled the recipe, came close to hitting all temps. Split into two 5 gallon batches fermenting with 1762 and 1214. The one with 1762 was more bitter than the other. Thoughts?

Quick Reply