Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Orange Kolsch (AG/EX)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #81
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used .75/oz of the bitter and sweet. I would not go any more than that. It has a wonderful orange flavor but it overpowers the coriander. The one thing I like about this recipe is that you can really play around with it and it still comes out a great beer. I generally use this a standard when I teach someone to brew AG. It is really tough to screw up.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #82
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugenBrau View Post
I used .75/oz of the bitter and sweet. I would not go any more than that. It has a wonderful orange flavor but it overpowers the coriander. The one thing I like about this recipe is that you can really play around with it and it still comes out a great beer. I generally use this a standard when I teach someone to brew AG. It is really tough to screw up.
So you recommend 0.75 oz of EACH of the types of orange peel? Did you add the peel at 15, 10 or 5 minutes of the boil?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #83
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

10 minutes

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #84
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Brewed 10g this last weekend for an upcoming wedding - hope it comes out tasty.

Mashed a little lower than anticipated (151ish) due to bad thermometers... stupid technology. Added 5g of Chamomile as well at the last 2 minutes to get some more flair into this one.

OG 1.052

I see there's secondary time on this recipe - but I dont see any mroe additions of flavor... is it just for clarifying?

Worried about the orange and coriander flavor in this one... thinking of carbing up once primay is over and sampling and adding sacks of flavor as needed (zest/coriander/chamomile).

Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #85
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

let me know how it comes out with the lower mash temp. I
try to mash @156 but the again I like the malty flavor with of this beer. I don't think you will have any problem with the orange flavor coming through

Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #86
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Yea, I intended to hit 155 but... one broken floating therm and a digital thermometer that seemingly has a changing variable of +10-17 degrees... ended up using my tertiary backup and lost some heat in the process. Not too sad -- as I think drier may work well with this style. We'll see - checking fermentation progress probably tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #87
Sirwood
Recipes 

Bottled this last night after a week and a half in secondary with extra orange peel. All the way up until now it tasted pretty good, now it's bitter and not as good. Hoping a few weeks in the bottle will change that

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #88
Sirwood
Recipes 

After a week in the bottle I cracked one open for a taste test. All I have to say is I can not wait for this to fully condition. Great flavor and already more then half way carbed up. I'm really glad I added the extra orange peel to the secondary. It had a real nice orange flavor. Light and crisp

Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #89
BigPoppa502
Intergalactic Beer King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This sounds like a great idea. My brother and I make a Belgium Wit as a staple for the keezer, but a variation like this sounds like fun. Also, I wanted to canvas the group to see if anyone had ever tried a lime cilantro combo in a brew like this? I'm not sure about the cilantro. I'm just don't know how it would play out, bitter? Bland? Savory? Just not sure...any thoughts out there.

- josh
Derby City Brewing Co.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #90
swerner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just did a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. I split the batch into 2 separate boils. I used US-05 and wyeast kolsch so I can see what the difference is between the 2. I have to say that the kolsch yeast took off like crazy and I had to add a blow off this morning. I also have it sitting in an ice bath to keep the temp down. Thanks Biermuncher for another recipe to try.

Quick Reply