Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Orange Kolsch (AG/EX)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #91
zymurph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this yesterday, and was wondering if you guys racked the orange and coriander into primary after boiling. I generally use a big bag for the hops, and I put the orange/coriander into the bag, which means that it all came out after the boil. Am I going to be missing flavors because of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #92
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurph View Post
I just brewed this yesterday, and was wondering if you guys racked the orange and coriander into primary after boiling. I generally use a big bag for the hops, and I put the orange/coriander into the bag, which means that it all came out after the boil. Am I going to be missing flavors because of this?
If you gave the spices a good 10 minutes in the boil, you should be fine. That should be long enough to extract the essential oils and lock in the flavor. The aroma and flavor of the added ingredients are meant to raise peoples curiosity about “something familiar “ in this beer… and not be the primary focus.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #93
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Never put any of it into the primary....just the boil!

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #94
zymurph
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I was hoping to hear. If this batch turns out alright I will post my partial-mash version. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #95
JonathanG
Recipes 

After reading through dozens of recipes, I've decided a variant of this is going to be my next batch. I've only brewed one batch of home brew, so this will be batch #2. My first batch was a LME, with steeping grains, an American IPA kit from The Brew Hut, here in Colorado. It's carbonating in the bottles right now and should be starting to come around in another week or two.

I plan to try my hand at BIAB with this recipe. Got my voile bag from Jeff Omundson at bagbrewer.com: http://www.bagbrewer.com/index.html It seems like a sturdily designed product that I'm anxious to use. I actually found him through a thread here at HBT. Since I haven't done BIAB yet, I'm not sure what my efficiency is will be, so I placed it at 72% in Beersmith.

Here are the ingredients I went and picked up today for a 5-gallon batch of this, which I'm going to name "Mandarin Muncher Kolsch." All grains were run through the grain mill twice, with the flaked wheat left out of the mill.

5-pounds Pale Malt (2-Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.5-pounds Pale Malt (2-Row) Belgian (3.0 SRM) (I thought this would be interesting in combination with the US 2-Row.)
1-pound White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1-pound Flaked Wheat (1.6 SRM)
0.5-pounds Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.19-pounds (3-ounces) Acidulated Malt (3.0 SRM)
0.5-oz. Hallertauer (4.5%) pellet, 60-minutes
0.25-oz. Hallertauer (4.5%) pellet, 20-minutes
0.25-oz. Tettnanger (4.8%) pellet, 20-minutes
0.5-oz. Tettnanger (4.8%) pellet, 10-minutes
???[0.5-oz. Cascade (8.0%), 10-minutes]???
1.5-oz. Dehydrated Orange Peel, 10-minutes
2-grams Seeds of Paradise, crushed, 10-minutes
Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II, will make a starter, then harvest for future use.
I also bought 1-ounce of Cascade pellets (8.0%) that I bought that I'm trying to decide if I want to use at all? I'm wondering if I added 0.5-oz. of it near the end of the boil, maybe around the 10-minute mark, if it'd complement the orange peel and seeds of paradise a bit without going overboard on the bitterness? I do like hops, but I realize that Kolsch standards are in the 20-30 IBU range, which this would be (mid 20s). I added the 3-oz. of acidulated malt in hopes of adding a bit of interest to the finish, without it being apparent.

The only thing that will likely happen outside of the Kolsch style guidelines is the potential for the ABV to be above 5.2%, the upper limit for Kolsch. Again though, I have no idea, since this will be my first BIAB.

I was originally going to go with an ale yeast like US-05 or something similar, but saw they had recently gotten in some 2575, and thought I'd give liquid yeast a try, since my first batch of beer used Lallemand Nottingham. It's a good excuse to break out my new stir plate and try my hand at a starter.

Any comments or input on this recipe are appreciated. (I also started a separate thread on this.)

Last edited by JonathanG; 05-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #96
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

just made the NB Farmhouse Ale and used the Wyeast 3725. It was wonderful.......after a month in the bottle it had a great malty flavor. I washed (rinsed) the yeast and think it will go fantastic with this recipe. A English bitter tonight and this is next on the list.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 07-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #97
ampsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Just kegged last night, went with us05 and this baby finished loooow, 1.06.
Hope its not to dry.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #98
IronRamekin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'd like to try this original recipe using the extract version but I'm a little confused by the grains. Can one safely steep them as per a normal extract recipe or should I attempt a "mini mash" and try to convert the starch?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #99
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRamekin
I'd like to try this original recipe using the extract version but I'm a little confused by the grains. Can one safely steep them as per a normal extract recipe or should I attempt a "mini mash" and try to convert the starch?
Wheat malt must be mashed

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #100
Pleepleus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure if this is a typo, or intentional. The Flaked Wheat is listed at 1lb for both the 11gal and 5.5gal batch. I just put your 11gallon batch into Beersmith and then scaled (duh, I didn't scroll down enough to see you had the smaller batch size), which is how I caught this. I'm guessing it is a typo, but Biermuncher??

Quick Reply