Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
crlova2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anybody know if it would be pointless to do this with a single infusion? I don't have the capabilities yet to do step mash temps. I really want to clone this beer though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crlova2 View Post
Anybody know if it would be pointless to do this with a single infusion? I don't have the capabilities yet to do step mash temps. I really want to clone this beer though.
Step mash is not that big a deal. Just leave it at 149 or so for an hour and you should be good. One tip I just picked up for a beer like this is to use simple table sugar and add it just as your ferment is finishing its peak. This will help to get away from the high FG's beers like this often have. Good luck with it, its a great beer.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
jprice
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This will be my second all-grain batch and i'm still a bit of a noob. How much strike/sparge water would you recommend that I use?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
jprice
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just cracked open a bottle of this after being bottled for a week, one of the best i've ever had for the style. Thanks for the recipe!

GordonT Likes This 
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Just cracked open a bottle of this after being bottled for a week, one of the best i've ever had for the style. Thanks for the recipe!

You're very welcome. Glad that it turned out for you. I just finished a keg that was brewed in June and I was sad to see it go. As soon as Xmas is over I'm brewing this again with the same recipe but using several variations in the brewing process that I have since learned about. Should be even better this time around.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
This will be my second all-grain batch and i'm still a bit of a noob. How much strike/sparge water would you recommend that I use?
Sorry I didn't see this question until just now. I use an old keg as my brew kettle and for a beer of this strength I fill it up about the 10 gallon mark. I use all or most of that through the mashing/sparging process giving me upwards of 9 gallons at the beginning of the boil. I boil vigorously for 2 hours or until I see that I am at the right volume (about 6 gallons coming off the boil). After cooling and racking I end up with 5.5+ gallons in the fermenter and again after secondary and bottling/kegging will have pretty close to 5.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #27
jprice
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, that was roughly the way I ended up doing it anyway. Honestly, this is one of the best beers I have ever had, there is no way this batch will make the 3 week bottle conditioning deadline. I'm just hoping I can maintain enough self control to save some for the brew club meeting in 2 weeks. Thank God I already brewed up another batch last week.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, that was roughly the way I ended up doing it anyway. Honestly, this is one of the best beers I have ever had, there is no way this batch will make the 3 week bottle conditioning deadline. I'm just hoping I can maintain enough self control to save some for the brew club meeting in 2 weeks. Thank God I already brewed up another batch last week.
That's a pretty funny post This and my Triple used to be my favorite beers but since then I've researched and brewed a clone of Oaked Arrogant Bastard and my loyalties have switched. I'll have to post that recipe when I have a moment.

Glad you're enjoying this one

Old 01-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
fastasaturtle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just purchased the ingredients for this and can't wait to brew it! I'm still a noob and have a question for someone: Would switching out the Hallertauer with Amarillo adversely effect the flavor of this beer as long as I keep the AAU's the same? I have a bunch of Amarillo in the freezer and would like to use it if I could. I guess I'll do a search of how diiferent styles of hops effect the flavor of beer and see what I can find in the mean time...

Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
fastasaturtle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, after a bit of research I have decided to splurge and spend the two bucks for the correct variety of hops (or one of the correct...); I'm sure that I won't be disappointed. I'll just have to brew some more IPA to use up that Amarillo.

Quick Reply