Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafmonk View Post
Hi Gordon,

---------------
My questions:

1) Compared to your (Gordon's) recipe and this one...are there anything to modified?
2) How long do I ferment this in the primary? Does it depend on however long it takes to reach FG = 1.013?
3) Your recipe calls for 72F in primary and 60F in secondary. This one 76-84F in primary. How? Put the glass carboy in a large bucket, fill the bucket with water and put aquarium heater in to heat the water to 80F?
4) Condition at 28F??? Transfer to another carboy and put it in freezer.

This one seems more complicated. Yours seems easier but mashing is out of my league at this point. Hope you help the newbie.

Billy
The recipe looks great Billy. Go with it as is and see how you like it. You can always adjust according to your taste on the second attempt.
My temp. of 72 was because that was as high as I could get it. I would have gone higher but given that it was winter and I live in a temperate climate.. that's it. I use a Brewbelt around the carboy to raise the temperature. Maybe I'll use two next time and see if I can reach 80F

A cool to cold conditioning period is again whatever your environment allows, don't sweat it too much. My basement in winter gets down to high 50s, low 60s and that it enough to clear the beer nicely.

Primary lasts until the head drops and the beer begins to clear. You can also time your airlock. When the exhalations have 10 seconds between them the beer is probably ready for secondary.

Have fun, don't worry too much. THis looks like a great recipe and you'll probably end up with a fantastic beer.

When its drinkable let us know how it turned out.
Cheers, Gordon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is a great beer, lots of flavor, high in alcohol yet light in body.

My only complaint is that it needs better head retention. Poured it into my Delirium glass and it poured a nice head but it quickly dissipated. Im looking for that thick foamy Belgian head but it is lacking in that department.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisSnT View Post
My only complaint is that it needs better head retention. Poured it into my Delirium glass and it poured a nice head but it quickly dissipated. Im looking for that thick foamy Belgian head but it is lacking in that department.
From a keg this pours with a huge head that slowly drops Belgian lace down the side of the glass. I just re-made this and bottled three large bottles. Maybe bottle aging vs. bulk ageing makes a difference? Amount of sugar in bottle?
Anyway, so far no head problems. A bit of wheat, say a 1/4 lb or so can add to the head and won't change the flavour much.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It has been in the bottle since 2/6/11 and I bulk primed with 2.4oz of corn sugar for 2.2 gallons(a half batch) which should net me over 3vols of carbonation.

The carbonation has been getting stronger with each week so it might not be ready yet. Im not terribly worried about it, but if it does not improve, maybe some wheat would help in my case.

Edit: Gave a bottle to a friend and he tells me that head retention was not an issue for him. Time to start rinsing my glasses thoroughly after the dishwasher.

Last edited by PolarisSnT; 03-28-2011 at 04:57 AM.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
The recipe looks great Billy. Go with it as is and see how you like it. You can always adjust according to your taste on the second attempt.
My temp. of 72 was because that was as high as I could get it. I would have gone higher but given that it was winter and I live in a temperate climate.. that's it. I use a Brewbelt around the carboy to raise the temperature. Maybe I'll use two next time and see if I can reach 80F
Hi Gordon,

Finally got around to brewing the extract recipe of Ommegang Abbey Ale clone last Saturday. The OG is 1.06. I wonder why it is lower than the recommended 1.074? Instead of shooting for FG of 1.013, should I shoot for lower gravity, let's say 1.003 or something to make up for the low OG?

My temp is now 72 also. But I am going to get some kind of warmer to raise to 80 tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

Billy

Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Letting it ferment that low will give you the same ABV but it will not feel like it should. It will feel very light and thin, when it should be a bit thicker(higher FG).

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed two batches in succession.

The first batch had 3.3# of malt extract. The second one had 4.4#.

The recipe calls for OG of 1.074 and I had 1.060 for both. Isn't that weird? I thought the second batch would have higher OG. Is it because I didn't boil longer. Or what factor can cause lower OG than expected?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
I brewed two batches in succession.

The first batch had 3.3# of malt extract. The second one had 4.4#.

The recipe calls for OG of 1.074 and I had 1.060 for both. Isn't that weird? I thought the second batch would have higher OG. Is it because I didn't boil longer. Or what factor can cause lower OG than expected?
Did you take into account temperature when taking OG? It would still be odd to be off so much but it can skew your reading.

If you are not counting on conversion of starches to add to your OG then the only other factor I can think of is batch volume. If your ending volume was greater the OG will be more diluted.

Don't worry though, even at what you achieved it will still be a nice beer. Better luck next time.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Finally got around to brewing the extract recipe of Ommegang Abbey Ale clone last Saturday. The OG is 1.06. I wonder why it is lower than the recommended 1.074? Instead of shooting for FG of 1.013, should I shoot for lower gravity, let's say 1.003 or something to make up for the low OG?

My temp is now 72 also. But I am going to get some kind of warmer to raise to 80 tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

Billy
I agree with Polaris. This should be a beer with some body, don't let it ferment down too low.

The brewbelt plus a blanket wrapped around the carboy are the best way to keep a high temp for amateurs like us.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Now Conditioning in fridge at 28 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
I agree with Polaris. This should be a beer with some body, don't let it ferment down too low.

The brewbelt plus a blanket wrapped around the carboy are the best way to keep a high temp for amateurs like us.
Thanks, Gordon. I went ahead and bought a ceramic heat bulb for lizard at the pet store. Put both fermenters and the lizard heat in the laundry closet. When the temp reached 78 degrees, I opened the closet door ajar and the temp stayed 77 degrees. Exactly where I wanted it to be.

And today, the bubbles in the airlock for both batches were non-existent. Already. Saturday to Wednesday. I racked each batch to each 5 gallon carboy and poured vodka in airlock (the worker at homebrew store suggested it so it won't freeze) and put in the fridge at 28 degrees.

First batch: OG=1.060, FG=1.010
Second batch (the one with 4.6# of malt extract): OG=1.060, FG=1.015

Both tasted nicely.

Quick Reply