Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default All-Grain - Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast Ardennes
Yeast Starter: Wyeast Smack pack
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1085
Final Gravity: 1018
IBU: 5.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 120
Color: Almost black with red tones
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week
Additional Fermentation: none
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week
Tasting Notes: complex sweet malt and spice.

I love Dubbels and I love the unique flavour of Special B malt. This beer lets me enjoy both. The recipe was patched together from many sources. Thanks to an interview with the former head brewer at Ommegang the spicing came together more clearly than in previous attempts.

11 lbs lager malt
2 lbs Special B
2 lbs Aromatic
1 lb 30 - 40 Crystal
1 500 ml bottle of dark syrup

1 oz. Hallter for the boil. Added after the first half hour.
.5 Saaz at 5

I zested two mandarin oranges and add at 15
.5 oz licorice root at 15
.4 oz crushed coriander seed add as I turned the heat off.

Mashing schedule was 130 for 15, 148 for 30 and 160 for 15.

Fermented with Wyeast Ardennes yeast at 72F in primary, 60 F in secondary.

This turned out really great. It is a big beer but is quite elegant and well rounded. Nothing really stands out, all flavours blend nicely.

The nose is spicy and malty. It is difficult to distinguish whether the spice in the nose is from the yeast or coriander or a blend.

Tasting it you first get fresh sweet malt and quickly after that the various flavours of licorice, orange, coriander and spicy yeast, all blending together.

It is almost black but shows red around the side of the glass. Nice tight head and looks great in a glass.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll have to give this a try. I just opened a 2007 of this yesterday. Very good beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
GordonT
Recipes 

Can you give us a taste review on the 2007?

I tried a different version of this beer on Thursday. Called Pretty Things. Beautiful big beer. I couldn't distinguish they underlying taste previously but finally realized it was a large late infusion of licorice root.

My next go at this one I'm adding .75 oz of licorice at 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I'll have to give this a try. I just opened a 2007 of this yesterday. Very good beer.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
BrewNow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
Mashing schedule was 130 for 15, 148 for 30 and 160 for 15.
GordonT - I've never done a step mash and am too lazy to start now. For a single infusion, what would you recommend? 152F for 60 minutes?

Am a REALLY missing out on a flavor profile by not employing step infusion?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
GordonT
Recipes 

Default Step mash?

The beauty of home brew is you can do anything you like. You only have to make one person happy with your beer

I don't really consider this a step mash as my method involves adding small amounts of almost boiling water to my mash tun. I just add smaller amounts to achieve the temps I'm looking for and then wait a bit, add more. I would do this anyway, the difference is pausing briefly between additions.

If I was to do this as a one step mash I would do it all at 148. There are already a lot of unfermentables in this recipe. Mashing low will give you the most amount of fermentable sugars while still giving good mouth feel and body. Should be fine.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Being one of my favorites, I will have to try this recipe this weekend.

Did you use a particular syrup and when did you add it?

Edit: I think Im going to go with dark Belgian Candi Syrup from my LHBS

Last edited by PolarisSnT; 01-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Gonetotx Likes This 
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this on Sunday as a 2.5 gallon batch to try.

OG: 1.090
I had some trouble finding the Belgian candi syrup at my LHBS. The website listed it but they were out of stock, and apparently so is everyone else. So in a pinch I used amber candi sugar and added it to the boil at the 60 min mark hoping the extra time in the boil would caramelize and invert the sugar.

I have never had a beer ferment this vigorously for 5 days. It started showing signs of activity 12 hours later(early Monday morning) and the krausen had finally fallen Friday morning.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisSnT View Post
Brewed this on Sunday as a 2.5 gallon batch to try.

OG: 1.090
I had some trouble finding the Belgian candi syrup at my LHBS. The website listed it but they were out of stock, and apparently so is everyone else. So in a pinch I used amber candi sugar and added it to the boil at the 60 min mark hoping the extra time in the boil would caramelize and invert the sugar.

I have never had a beer ferment this vigorously for 5 days. It started showing signs of activity 12 hours later(early Monday morning) and the krausen had finally fallen Friday morning.
How did this beer turn out? I'm curious because every time I brew this it becomes my favorite beer.

"What's your favorite beer?"
The one I'm drinking

Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
PolarisSnT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finished fermenting at 1.018, so it has some alcohol to it .

It has a great flavor but I may have overdone the corriander so it's not an exact clone, but it is very good. It has been in the bottle for 3 weeks and is not fully carbonated so I can not give an exact review but all signs point to awesome at this point.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
deafmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
My next go at this one I'm adding .75 oz of licorice at 15
Hi Gordon,

My next brew will be my second time. Obviously, it will be an extract type, rather than all grain. I found this Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone extract with grains recipe from Brew magazine (thanks to former head brew master at Ommegang Brewery).

Ommegang Abbey Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.074
FG = 1.013
IBU = 22
SRM = 27
ABV = 7.8%

Ingredients
3.33 lbs (1.51 kg) Weyermann Bavarian Pilsner liquid malt extract (late addition)
1 lb. 2 oz (0.51 kg) Pilsner malt
2.25 lbs (1.02 kg) aromatic malt
1 lb. 6.4 oz. (0.64 kg) crystal malt (20 degrees L)
2.25 lbs (1.02 kg) Briess Special Roast malt (50 degrees L)
2.66 lbs (1.21 kg) corn sugar
6.25 AAU Styrian Goldings hops (60 mins) (1.25 oz./35 g of 5% alpha acids)
0.33 oz Styrian Goldings hops (0 mins)
0.25 oz. (7.1 g) Curacao orange peel
0.5 oz. (14 g) licorice root
Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Ale) yeast or cultured Ommegang yeast
1.2 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step

Heat 10.5 qts (9.9 L) of steeping water in your brewpot to 124 degrees F (51 degrees C). In a separate pot, heat 7.9 qts. (7.4 L) of rinse water to 170 degrees F (77 degrees C). Place crushed grains in a large steeping bag and submerge bag in your brewpot. Heat steeping water quickly to 144 degrees F (62 degrees C), stirring occasionally, then turn down heat and slowly raise temperature to 169 degrees F (76 degrees C). It should take
about 30 minutes to go from 144 degrees F (62 degrees C) to 169 degrees F (76 degrees C). Remove the grain bag and place in a colander over your brewpot. Rinse grains slowly and evenly with hot rinse water. Heat this "grain tea" - approximately 17.4 qts (16.4 L) to a boil.

Boil wort for 60 minutes, adding corn sugar at the beginning of the boil and hops at time indicated. (There is no dried malt extract in the recipe.) Add liquid malt extract, orange peel and licorice with 15 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add water to make 5 gallons (19 L), aerate and pitch yeast.

Ferment 76-84 degrees F (24-29 degrees C). (Yes, that hot.) Condition for 2 weeks at 28 degrees F (-2 degrees C). Keg and adjust to 3.0 volumes CO2. Or bottle in heavy bottles with corn sugar with a target of 3.5 volumes of CO2.

---------------
My questions:

1) Compared to your (Gordon's) recipe and this one...are there anything to modified?
2) How long do I ferment this in the primary? Does it depend on however long it takes to reach FG = 1.013?
3) Your recipe calls for 72F in primary and 60F in secondary. This one 76-84F in primary. How? Put the glass carboy in a large bucket, fill the bucket with water and put aquarium heater in to heat the water to 80F?
4) Condition at 28F??? Transfer to another carboy and put it in freezer.

This one seems more complicated. Yours seems easier but mashing is out of my league at this point. Hope you help the newbie.

Billy

Quick Reply