Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ole Zion Church Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #31
Fritobandito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got everything I needed the other day but I had a few questions. How did you add the peppercorns and coriander? Did you just crush them with a rolling pin or beer bottle, or just add them whole?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #32
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito
I got everything I needed the other day but I had a few questions. How did you add the peppercorns and coriander? Did you just crush them with a rolling pin or beer bottle, or just add them whole?
I crushed the coriander roughly just enough to release the oils and I added the peppercorns whole. If I were to do this again I'd add the peppercorns in a hop bag and keep them in the primary full term. Spice/flavor from the peppercorns has diminished over time.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #33
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made this today and ended up with an OG of 1.061, which was what I expected to get with 75% efficiency. I did end up just throwing the peppercorns into the primary without a bag, so I'll see how that ends up. The autosiphon got jammed a few times with coriander and orange peel transferring from the kettle to the primary. Overall, everything went pretty smooth. I have it in the fridge now at 64 degrees and I'm gonna take it out and let it sit at room temp for a few weeks so it can heat up.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #34
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito
I made this today and ended up with an OG of 1.061, which was what I expected to get with 75% efficiency. I did end up just throwing the peppercorns into the primary without a bag, so I'll see how that ends up. The autosiphon got jammed a few times with coriander and orange peel transferring from the kettle to the primary. Overall, everything went pretty smooth. I have it in the fridge now at 64 degrees and I'm gonna take it out and let it sit at room temp for a few weeks so it can heat up.
Sounds like every thing went ok! Let me know how it turns out and what your FG is when you keg or bottle.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #35
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just checked the gravity of this recipe, it was down to 1.002. This was after a week in the cool basement and another in the 80 degree-ish attic. It started around 1.07. So if my math's right the ABV is in the mid 8s.

So yea, Wyeast 3711 is a beast of a yeast!

I went ahead and bottled it with a little priming sugar. Really looking forward to enjoying the rest of summer with this guy around.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #36
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

WOW! it really did eat away at that. That's good to hear and I don't think you'll be let down at all. It has a nice bite up front then comes back and makes up for it later. Nice lacing too.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Opened the first bottle yesterday. Despite my botched mash it tastes great, maybe a little thin. I think the spices come through really well. And I also notice strong lacing. I don't know why but I really like seeing that. Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #38
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thin.....? Hmmm, mine wasn't thin at all. Could be due to the mash issues. The lacing is incredible! I had one last week and was still quite amazed at how it just lingers on the glass forever. Yeah the spices aren't too overpowering, but get even better with age. I think that it hit it's peak at 14 weeks. IMHO

Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native302 View Post
Thin.....? Hmmm, mine wasn't thin at all. Could be due to the mash issues. The lacing is incredible! I had one last week and was still quite amazed at how it just lingers on the glass forever. Yeah the spices aren't too overpowering, but get even better with age. I think that it hit it's peak at 14 weeks. IMHO
You're right, it was the poor mash and excessive sugar that caused this "thin" flavor in my attempt on your recipe.

For the record I hit the gravity numbers of my last brew spot on. Definitely at the steep part of the learning curve now, haha.

Out of curiosity, what's your fall brew?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #40
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I did a hopped up Belgian triple, a sweet tater farmhouse saison, and a smoked pumpkin ale

Quick Reply