Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Ole Zion Church Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #21
Native302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBrew View Post
I (finally) got around to brewing this recipe this past Friday. I'm disappointed to report that my pre-boil gravity was low low low, we're talking around 1.03.

In a fit of post-mash frustration I threw in quite a bit of extra sugar for some more fermentables. Looking back I'm not sure this was a good idea....

But this was my first stab at an all grain recipe. So I'm not beating myself up over it. I'll do some reading on mashing and try again in a few weeks.

And, who knows, maybe it'll still taste okay.
Did you add the sugars during the boil, at the end of the boil, after the boil, or will you add during fermentation? The extra sugars will throw the taste off some and will dry out your beer so you may end with a very high attenuating beer. But it still should taste good. Most of the flavor comes from the yeast. Keep me posted on your gravity readings and taste.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was at the 60 minute mark, I added about an extra half pound of candi sugar. So my final reading was slightly less than 1.07.

I'll make sure to post the final reading and how it came out when we're done fermenting. On the bright side, I think it'll certainly be instructive to taste a beer brewed with so much candi sugar.

Thanks again for posting this recipe. After reading a few posts on mashing/sparging I think I've identified 1 x 10^200 things I can improve. It can only get better from here!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBrew
It was at the 60 minute mark, I added about an extra half pound of candi sugar. So my final reading was slightly less than 1.07.

I'll make sure to post the final reading and how it came out when we're done fermenting. On the bright side, I think it'll certainly be instructive to taste a beer brewed with so much candi sugar.

Thanks again for posting this recipe. After reading a few posts on mashing/sparging I think I've identified 1 x 10^200 things I can improve. It can only get better from here!
You may come out a little darker than mine. Where in jersey are you? I'm picking up for a grain buy Wednesday night and could drop one off to you or send you one. I'd just ask the same :-)

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #24
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, wow, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what I'll be brewing next so I'll have to pass. Where do you pick up your grain?

I'm in Jersey City but do most of my brewing at a relatives house in New Providence.

Do you have any other recipes posted?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

this is the group buy i'm in http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/sou...d-18-a-256766/

I haven't got around to posting my other recipes, but I do have quite a few that are crowd pleasers. I'll take some time one of these days and start posting them.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #26
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I put this into Beersmith and had to bump up the efficiency to 90% to get that OG. Also, I put the OG and FG into an ABV calculator and its showing 9.9%. Isn't that super high for a saison, unless I'm missing something.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #27
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito View Post
I put this into Beersmith and had to bump up the efficiency to 90% to get that OG. Also, I put the OG and FG into an ABV calculator and its showing 9.9%. Isn't that super high for a saison, unless I'm missing something.
Not sure about that. I used Beersmith 1.0 and that is what I came up with and the gravities are what I took when brewing and bottling.

All I know is that Sam like it - his judging notes/score was the highest of all 4 judges. It was a madbrewer comp so I think style guidlines went out the door.....

Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think what I'm going to do is just buy exactly what you have listed. Unless I get crazy efficiency, it will probably come out around 1.062, so it will be a little more sessionable.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito View Post
I think what I'm going to do is just buy exactly what you have listed. Unless I get crazy efficiency, it will probably come out around 1.062, so it will be a little more sessionable.
I'll have to check my notes when I get home to see what my efficency was. I know it was higher than normal.

Please keep me posted. I'm excited to see how this comes out for you.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #30
Fritobandito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm gonna head to the store and buy everything later tonight and I'll brew it next Tuesday. I'll post back once I brew it.

Quick Reply