Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > OhioBrewtus' Hoegaarden Clone - (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Foxknuckle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone try this without the orange extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
coldrice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp138 View Post
Good stuff, just getting started on my second keg after me and my friends killed the first one of the fourth. I used wyeast belgian white beer yeast for this and it is spot on, incredible breadloaf flavor that hits you right in the face. As for the clones likeness to the original, spot on. The only thing different that I notice in mine is that I probably overdid the orange peel a bit, but that was somewhat intentional, and I couldn't get this batch to attenuate as much as I would have liked which left it a little sweet.

All in all a very good beer, and a dead shot for the original. Will definitely be a summer staple, if only in five gallon batches from now on.

Oh and i used hallertau instead of cascade, had a bunch of it and couldn't really see the point in using an american hop in this recipe, worked out great.
try mashing at 150-152 to boost the fermentables. body may suffer but maybe try a thicker mash. wlp 400 should finish most of the way, it seems like 155 is a bit high of a mash temp for this style

Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
BostonRogue
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Replacing an extract

Hello All,

Anyone have a suggestion for the alternative to an orange extract? I know there was a suggestion to just cut it out of the recipe, however I was thinking fresh orange zest. The last time I brewed with an extract, I wasn't a fan (and the flavor tapered out over the course of a month).

Any thoughts on the quantity required to afford some of the same flavoring?

I really enjoyed this thread and the recipe and I plan on brewing this in the next two weeks. The optimist in me says summer is not that far off...

Rogue

Old 02-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
coldrice
Recipes 

Get curacao orange peel from your homebrew supplier, grind .5 oz and add it in the last 10 mins of the boil. Taste when racking to secondary, if it seems to have been scrubbed out, add another .25 oz and maybe some more coriander. Careful with coriander, though. It can ruin a beer (Blue Moon).

Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
BostonRogue
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks (for both the quick reply and the info)!

I'll be brewing this up next week and will try to get back with amounts used/results.

Slainte.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
coldrice
Recipes 

just re-read the recipe. you don't need the orange extract. pretend its not there and proceed as I previously mentioned. fresh orange peel can make beer taste soapy and should usually be avoided. any time you see 'bitter orange peel' in a recipe it is referring to dried curacao orange peel available from most lhbs. make sure you grind both spices in a coffee grinder right before brewing, you will be rewarded with positive results!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
BostonRogue
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks!

Will do. Thanks for the attention and cautionary advice.

I have used fresh orange zest before (small quantities) with fair results, assuming I'm careful to refrain from including the pith. That being said, I agree; my "experimentation" produces inconsistent results. Using fresh stuff took a hit on a GingerAle I made.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrice View Post
try mashing at 150-152 to boost the fermentables. body may suffer but maybe try a thicker mash. wlp 400 should finish most of the way, it seems like 155 is a bit high of a mash temp for this style
I've made quite a few wits this past year. I found myself wanting a silkier fuller body. I have been bumping up my mash temp with each batch last one I mashed at 154 and might go up a touch on the next one also. I would say 155 is just fine especially with wlp400 as that attentuates pretty well and if you give it a easier to ferment wort it will dry it too much I think.

When it comes to orange peel I don't see how fresh orange will give a soapy taste. I have used the zest of oranges, lemons, and grapefruit in my wits with great results. Just make sure you wash them before hand with a brush to remove any wax. The key is to zest it not use the whole peel that will give you that weird astringent bitterness like you're eating the pith.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 164

does this beer need to sit in a primary for 3 weeks? My thinking is since it's a wheat beer wouldn't 10 to 14 days be sufficient?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
Quantum
Recipes 

I'm intrigued by the bottle cultivated yeast you mentioned. Is there a reference or how-to on the process that you followed?

Quick Reply