La Saison Noire Amere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloko520

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast Belgian Saison
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days (in bottle)
Tasting Notes
Very bitter, but sweet, smells of citrus, licorice, coffee, chocolate,
Hi all, here's a minimalist but complex saison recipe I invented. I'm still tweaking it a bit, but the first batch was so good, I had to share. the Rye adds some nice spicy character to complement the yeast.

I wanted a no-nonsense beer that was easy to make, but would impress guests for the holidays.

It's nice and spicy, the bubbles are small and ticklish, and the chocolate/orange combination give it the character it needs to grab attention. It's very refreshing and 4% ABV, would make a great summer beer.

Bring 2 gallons of water to between 160 and 170 degrees. Do not get hotter than 170 degrees.
Steep 1/2 pound of Chocolate Rye specialty malt for 30 minutes.
Strain 1/2 gallon of hot (not boiling) water over the specialty malts to get extra sugars out of it. Remove specialty grains.
Add 6 lbs of Pilsner Extra light malt and bring to a boil (total boil time: 60 minutes).
Add 1oz of Northern Brewer Hops at 45 minutes.
At 20 minutes add 1oz German Spalt (remove Northern Brewer)
At 5 minutes add French Strisselspalt. (remove German Spalt).
At 5 minutes add dried orange peels from half an orange. (use less if you don't want this to be too bitter. I used a whole orange peel and can tell it would be better with only half).
Ferment at 75 degrees + for 2 weeks. (I chose not to rack and it probably could have fermented a bit longer).
Bottle with 7 oz priming sugar. Let sit for 2 weeks. Delicious.

Can I ask why you remove hops from the boil when adding the next addition?

I have no idea. This was the 4th batch of beer I brewed and I just thought I'd remove the hops. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Back