Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - La Chouffe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #41
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
Gordon,
Another question if you don't mind. Do recommend lagering at 32F after 2 weeks (as in Houblon's recipe) or should I just let it sit at room temp for secondary? Thanks.
If you have the setup to lager at that temp then go for it. My lagering consists of kegging it and putting it in the fridge. Two birds with one stone.

Room temp is fine also but.. this beer is very good young and its interesting to watch its progress as it shifts from very young to mature.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #42
Chaos-in-the-V
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That made my night. Thanks for sharing the photos. La Chouffe is why I started brewing (a few months ago). Great photos!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #43
Smokey21
Recipes 

I am fairly new to brewing and have limited knowledge and experience but I was keen to try this.
Could someone advice on how I managed or changes you would make to how I did it.

I have limited equipment:

Fermentation bucket with airock and Immersion heater
8 gallon pan
Grain bag

Added 16 lbs pilsner malt in a grain bag
Mashed in my pan at 152 f for 1 hours
Lost about 3 f
Stirred every 15 minutes

Removed the grain bag, emptied the mash water using a sanitized jug into my fermentation bucket.

Added the grains in the grain bag back to my pan and sparged at 176 f, I added the water over the top of the grains and left it. I needed to heat the pan slightly to get this heat, I was only a few degrees out before reheating the water.
Stirred the grain a few times

Left it for about 10 minutes, drained my grain bag and then got rid of the grain.

Added my mash water back to the pan and sparge water, added 1 lb of golden syrup (couldn't find any white syrup, live in the UK)
Added 1 oz perle, 0.5oz Styrian, 0.75 oz saaz
Brought to the boil and boiled for 90 minutes.

Removed from the heat added crushed corriander

Cooled in the pan using a copper wort chiller I made, managed to get it down to 24 f in about 20 minutes

transferred to the fermentation bucket using plastic tubing.

Shaked the fermentation bucket, added my starter yeast

Yeast used White Labs WLP550.
Added 2 pints water to 3.5 oz dried malt boiled for ten minutes then cooled to 73 f
Started 24 hours before in a demi john with foil over the top, kept at about 60 f (room temperature) and shook every several hours

Put immersion heater at 75 f and now leaving

Mash water - 5 gallons
Sparge Water 3.3 gallons

Original gravity reading before adding yeast 1.07

Whats your thoughts did I do it right with the kit I have.
Where my water volumes right

My water volumes were slightly different to what I posted but this I believe is what I should of used. I thought I ended up with too much water so boiled for longer and in the end ended up with only 4.2 gallons.

Many thanks

Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #44
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I'm about to try this recipe... when i plug 16 lbs belgian pilsner and 1 lbs blonde belgian cani syrup (1.032) into beer smith I get 1.090... Even with just the malt I get 1.084 assuming about 70% efficiency. Is this going to be way too big?

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 04-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houblon View Post
If I may add to this and give you some ideas to try if you want

FG is too high - try it closer to FG 1.08 - 1.012

Bump up the IBU`s

Styrian and Saaz, and coriander

A 1.5L starter is needed to produce a cleaner flavor.

Primary for 14 days as that yeast needs some time to clean up.

<Mash Temps >

62 ºC = 143.6 ºF >>20min

68 ºC = 154.4 ºF >>70min

Ferment around 75-77ºF,

the brewery goes up to > 26 ºC = 78.8 ºF ,but I and others have a hardtime at that temp as the yeast tries to takeoff along with producing too many fusels. They say that yeast dies above 80ºF.

Belgian malt would be best and you can taste the difference, but I understand with your situation.

The Belgian brewers use beet sugar and /or syrups from places such as>

BELGOSUC SUGAR SPECIALITIES

http://www.belgosuc.be/EN/productgamma.asp

But plain cane sugar works just fine, I use beet sugar only as a `tip of the hat to the Belgian brewers. Achouffe only use pilsner malt & sugars(syrups) in all the beers.

I've visited Achouffe twice now for beer research

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz138/UknowWho2u/Img_0405.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz138/UknowWho2u/Img_0402.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz138/UknowWho2u/Img_0401.jpg

Why is your protein rest 143? I have never done a step mash but am attempting this right now. Everything I've read says the protein rest is between 120 and 130f?
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #46
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I'm about to try this recipe... when i plug 16 lbs belgian pilsner and 1 lbs blonde belgian cani syrup (1.032) into beer smith I get 1.090... Even with just the malt I get 1.084 assuming about 70% efficiency. Is this going to be way too big?
Depends what you like of course. I like a bigger body in my beer, more mouth feel than the usually dry Belgians have.

If you feel this will be too big a beer, or if your equipment is different enough to yield substantially different results then simply cut down on the amount of malt going in.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #47
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

well i ended up at about 1.074 which is only about 60% eff. not sure what i'm doing wrong, my last few beers have come in low...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #48
homebrew44
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great Recipe!!

Made this one a couple months ago, I was hesitant just because the grain bill was super simple and I didnt think it would have much character but was I ever wrong. This is now one of my favorite recipes to brew and and a 5 gallon batch never lasts long, I will be brewing a 10 gallon batch this weekend with our small brew group!

Thank you for posting ....its a regular in the rotation now!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #49
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew44 View Post
Made this one a couple months ago, I was hesitant just because the grain bill was super simple and I didnt think it would have much character but was I ever wrong. This is now one of my favorite recipes to brew and and a 5 gallon batch never lasts long, I will be brewing a 10 gallon batch this weekend with our small brew group!

Thank you for posting ....its a regular in the rotation now!
You are most welcome, glad to be able to pass on such an enjoyable recipe

Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #50
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update on my efficiency, this time (DIPA) I used a 5.2 buffer in my wort and my mash efficiency went up like 10 points to 72!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Quick Reply