Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - La Chouffe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

subscribe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How would this work for a single temp infusion. And what temp would be best to go for?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
How would this work for a single temp infusion. And what temp would be best to go for?
It would work just fine for a single temp infusion as most malts these days are well modified already. I suggest 148F for an hour.

This will give you a high alcohol beer with some body. If you add very much sugar the beer will be thinner and eventually, as the sugar % rises, will start to have a disagreeable 'tang' to it.

(Insert plug for my recipe here)

The main difference between a completely true to style recipe for La Chouffe and mine is right in these details. My recipe results in a softer beer with more mouth feel.

My suggestion FWIW is to raise the temp to 158 after the first half hour (easy to do by simply adding small amounts of boiling water) and add less sugar. I would add a pound at most. This method is not completely true to style but gives you a beer with better mouth feel and without the disagreeable tang.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
bob3000
Recipes 

Ok, I like the Idea of raising the temp just using boiling water. Does this recipe work in a 5gal mash tun I'm worried i might run out of space, especially if I'm adding extra water to raise the temp.
Also what's the target IBU. I was thinking of going for around 25. Do you think that would over power the maltiness?

Just drank a big La chouffe blonde. Really looking forward to brewing this one.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Officianardo
Recipes 

Hi Guys, here's my first ever post:

I've been interested in brewing La Chouffe and as yet have not tried this beer, so first things first, I should buy a bottle and try it. I am wondering how this Belgian Blonde Ale differes from that of Duvel which is a BSG Ale of course.

I have brewed Duvel and I think some of the processes could well be worth sharing with you who are brewing La Chouffe ? so here is a run down of a few things I've picked up from one or two other HB'ers who brew Duvel regularly, I hope it may be of some use.

Firstly I'm not suggesting that brewing a Belgian Blonde is the same as brewing a BSG Ale.

DUVEL: 26 Litres.
Weyermann Pils 6.0 kg ( I could not get Dingermans)
Acidulated Malt 40 gms (for what its worth, I could have used more)
Dextrose 1.5 kgs
Styrian Goldings @ 60 mins 26 gms
Styrian Goldings @ 30 mins 26 gms
Czech Saaz gas off 14 gms
Irish Moss
Wyeast 1388 3.0 L. Stir plate.

OG (virtual) 1.072
FG 1.002
SRM 3.6
IBUs 31
Alc 9.3 %

I mashed overnight from 11 pm until 6 am for a very attenuative wort.

Primary began at 18 C for 4 days then raised slowly over two days to 21 C.
OG was (virtual 1.072) Once the gravity was at 1.038 I added the sugar as 1.5 kgs in two litres of boiled water, cooled which raised the primay a little more to around 23 C.
Primary activity then incresed with a visible krausen.

Temp was slowly increased further over the next 4 days to 27 C and kept there for the next week untill SG 1.006. I then allowed it to cool somewhat without paying too much attention to the actual temp.
After a total of three weeks in primary the FG was measured at 1.002 and I left it for another week before racking.

I could not fit the entire volume all in the carboy so I bottled a half dozen stubbies which took 3 weeks to fully carbonate, meanwhile the full carboy went into lagering at 1 degree C for 3 1/2 weeks before bottling with 200 gms of dextrose and a small amount of S-23 dried yeast. This is a lot of priming sugar and was suggested to me for best producing the classic Rocky Head of Duvel.

Currently the entire batch has been bottled and is still conditioning, but all 6 stubbies have been consumed It tasted sooooo good, that I could not leave 'em hanging around. I'm happy so far with the amount of esters present and the beer does not taste of fusels to my palette. The bottles, once fully conditioned will then go back at 1 degree C for three weeks to clear. I'm convinced they will be even better than the original 6.

Basically most of the pils malt wort was fermented at lower temps for cleaness, then the sugar was allowed to ferment warm for ester production along with what remained of the wort.
The FG ended up a few points lower than expected so the Alc % ended up a tad high at 9.3 % after priming.

The temp regime seems a little complex but in reality is pretty basic. Furthermore I doubt whether the next batch will receive the same exact treatment but will be very similar.
Cheers, sorry for the long first post, I'll try and keep them short from now on (famous last words) .
Paul.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
bob3000
Recipes 

La Couffe is a bit spicier. Maybe a bit less attenuated.

Unfortunately, mine at this moment is neather of these things as i buggered it right up. It ended up with a wierd, fruity, malty rocket fuel taste. I'll give it a few months in the bottle and see what happens.

But I'll definately be trying this one again once i get my high grav technique sorted.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Officianardo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
Thanks Houblon these points will all be added to the recipe.

Unfortunately where I live only the most basic malts are available. Even Special B took me ages to find. No Styrian either so I'll have to continue with Hallertau as a substitute.

The mash schedule and increased primary length should get me closer to the drier FG of the original.

What do you think of the volume of syrup I'm adding?

'Research'! What a great idea. That's what I'll tell my wife. No dear its not a holiday at all, its Research
Gordon, I can get Styrian Goldings here at the moment but can't get Perle which I've been after for some time.
Could do you a straight swap for a couple of 100 gm vac bags if you want ? No problem to post to Aussie, I'm just across the ditch in Hamilton. just give me a shout or PM me.
Cheers.
Paul.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officianardo View Post
Gordon, I can get Styrian Goldings here at the moment but can't get Perle which I've been after for some time.
Could do you a straight swap for a couple of 100 gm vac bags if you want ? No problem to post to Aussie, I'm just across the ditch in Hamilton. just give me a shout or PM me.
Cheers.
Paul.
Done! I'll PM you with my address. You can do the same if you like or email me. Are you concerned at all about no refrigeration for the time it takes in transit?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, I like the Idea of raising the temp just using boiling water. Does this recipe work in a 5gal mash tun I'm worried i might run out of space, especially if I'm adding extra water to raise the temp.
Also what's the target IBU. I was thinking of going for around 25. Do you think that would over power the maltiness?

Just drank a big La chouffe blonde. Really looking forward to brewing this one.
I use a converted cooler so have lots of room unless I'm making a Barley Wine. Adding boiling water will not take a lot more space up.

My recipe calls for 1 oz Spalt/Perle at 60 and .5 Hallertau at 30. Not sure what that would work out to but the bitterness is fine. If you bumped this up to 1.5 Perle you would have a slightly more bitter beer if you like what this adds to the complexity.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
La Couffe is a bit spicier. Maybe a bit less attenuated.

Unfortunately, mine at this moment is neather of these things as i buggered it right up. It ended up with a wierd, fruity, malty rocket fuel taste. I'll give it a few months in the bottle and see what happens.

But I'll definately be trying this one again once i get my high grav technique sorted.
Sorry to hear this. Hope your next try is the best.

Quick Reply