Kitchen Sink Belgian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
Cake from previous batch
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Existing Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Unknown
Color
~6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days, 68 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
Yeast dominates, dry, not malty, needs more flavor hop, surprisingly tasty despite!
Original thread here

2 Gallons wort from previous batch at 1.010 original gravity (I used brown ale runnings but hey, just about anything would work.)
2.5 lbs Amber Malt Extract
.5 lbs Brown Sugar
.5 lbs Maple Syrup
.5 lbs Clover Honey
.5 lbs Trader Joe's Dried Strawberries, Blueberries and currants
Evenly mixed, added continuously in the boil

Hops

60 Min- 1.5 oz Cascade hops, Whole, 6.6 AAU
15 Min- .5 oz Saaz, Whole, 4 AAU
1 Min- .25 oz Mt Hood, Whole, Unmarked AAU

Pitched onto monstrous cake of Wyeast 3711 leftover from just siphoned Saison.

KSBPA.jpg

Clearly the SRM is off in the description.

-----
Inspired by the story of Lagunitas' Brown Shugga, the beer born out of safeway sucrose. After brewing a brown ale I had some weak runnings, all the scrap DME in the house and some pantry items. Sounded like fun ;).

The results are good. With a hop bill tweak and a little spice, this could be a lost abbey red barn ale clone recipe. Great platform to let the big dose of flavorful yeast shine through a beer. Carbonated as usual, but feels spritzy-er. Bitterness needs a balance on the hop side. More late hopping would have helped this brew.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that everybody uses weird crap for about half of their fermentables! Don't even feel the need to brew this beer unless you want to work towards a Red Barn Clone.

If I was going to do it again, I'd go with some late noble hop character. I think the french saison yeast is plenty spicy without any adjunct spices myself, but you could definately play with some coriander, GOP, citrus, ginger etc.

thanks kombi, thats kind of the feel on it. It was after an AG session and I just wanted to have another batch in the fermenter.

I like your style. I have tried doing something similar a few times, with mixed results. Makes me want to keep saving those last runnings for something.

Back