Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Killer bee Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
phuzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I like the recipe and the responses to this recipe, but I'm using a converted cooler for a mash tun and I don't think I am able to do this mash. Anyone have ideas for making it a single step mash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
ChoochNW
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzle View Post
I like the recipe and the responses to this recipe, but I'm using a converted cooler for a mash tun and I don't think I am able to do this mash. Anyone have ideas for making it a single step mash?

I'm in the same boat....anyone out there care to break the recipe down for a non Herms/RIMS mash system?

Should I just mash all the grain and wheat at 122 for a 15 min rest, then bump it to 155 for a 45 min. rest, then go on to do a batch sparge to get it to 170?

Next Up: La Fin du Monde Tripel
Primary: India Brown Ale
Primary: Oatmeal Cookie Stout
Conditioning: Jubelale
Conditioning: Mint Chocolate Stout
Conditioning: Coconut Porter

Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #23
ChoochNW
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoochNW View Post
I'm in the same boat....anyone out there care to break the recipe down for a non Herms/RIMS mash system?

Should I just mash all the grain and wheat at 122 for a 15 min rest, then bump it to 155 for a 45 min. rest, then go on to do a batch sparge to get it to 170?
Ended up making this 2 months ago and I have to say it came out amazing. Very drinkable and the balance of corriander and bitter orange is spot on.

I did a mash at 122 for 15 min. Then Infused more water to get it up to 155, let it rest for 45 min. Did a single decoction a let it rest for another 15. Empty the wort into the kettle and then did a single batch sparge.

Just made a new batch last night, only thing I changed was to add 1/2 oz of pink peppercorn with the rest of the orange and corriander at the end of the boil. I'll let you know how it comes out in a few weeks.

Next Up: La Fin du Monde Tripel
Primary: India Brown Ale
Primary: Oatmeal Cookie Stout
Conditioning: Jubelale
Conditioning: Mint Chocolate Stout
Conditioning: Coconut Porter

Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #24
AKnewbrews
Recipes 

Just brewed this up yesterday, but the turbid mash version. Surprisingly, it went decently well. It was odd with such a close grain to water ratio.

I tend to get decent efficiency, and I did on this one as well, which I am partially worried about because I know it should yield a much lower gravity and dextrinous wort than a typical mash schedule. My pre-boil at 5.25 gallons was 1.040 at around 80 degrees. Not sure what the turbid OG gravity typically would be on something like this.

Bottled: Pomegranate Orange Witbier, Yule Gruit, English ESB, 7 Grain Black Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 AM   #25
AKnewbrews
Recipes 

Actually, I was thinking...it was mentioned poor attenuation, not poor mash efficiency, correct?

Bottled: Pomegranate Orange Witbier, Yule Gruit, English ESB, 7 Grain Black Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #26
AKnewbrews
Recipes 

Just cracked open this beer tonight after 2 weeks in the bottle. It was the turbid mash version, with 16 oz of pomegranate concentrate added to secondary.

It came out GREAT! Great frothy head, creamy, slightly citrusy, slightly tart (I think a bit from the pomegranate and the acid malt), has a wheat flavor that isn't overpowering, great belgian yeast touch. An awesome wit!

I didn't get any obvious pomegranate flavor or tartness, but there is a tartness there. There also is only a slight coloration from the pomegranate, but I don't even think you would know there was pomegranate added if I never told anyone.

Quick Reply