Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Karmeliet Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #71
theQ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I added the sugar at boil time - I know GordonT that he will add it to the fermentation as a little tip he found. Did that helo GordonT, did you see a difference ?

Sugar is sugar if there is active yeast it will eat it all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #72
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido50 View Post
Yes it is. Good luck. I'd try to keep the temperature below 68 with this yeast if possible.
4 Days in and the T-58 kinda stopped, the krausen is gone, it's bubbling once in a while. The Ardennes is still going but it slowed down. Not too fast but it has krausen on top of the liquid.

The temp is between 62-66F depending on the time of day or night for that matter.

Can you share your experience ? at this rate I will transfer it to the 2nd when 7 days are up.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #73
ido50
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
4 Days in and the T-58 kinda stopped, the krausen is gone, it's bubbling once in a while. The Ardennes is still going but it slowed down. Not too fast but it has krausen on top of the liquid.

The temp is between 62-66F depending on the time of day or night for that matter.

Can you share your experience ? at this rate I will transfer it to the 2nd when 7 days are up.
For me krausen dropped within the first 24 hours! It kept bubbling at a good rate for a few more days before slowing down considerably. You should be fine.

Personally, I don't transfer to secondary fermenters, I've only done that once about two years ago and wound up infecting that beer, so I stopped doing that.

Oh yeast, you magnificent bastards.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #74
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After 11 days I moved it to the secondary. As I stated before I made 10 gal and split in 2 fermenters. in one I pitched T-58 and Ardennes into the other.

I did read the gravity and sampled the hydrometer jar.

The T-58 batch is amazing, it made a better tasting beer when compared with Ardennes sample whoever they are somewhat similar. Coriander, licorice and orange they all combine very pleasantly in this beer. The reading was 1.010. The OG was 1.050 but something might have been fishy when I read the OG since it feels stronger than 5%

I am going to keg it in 9 day but want to age some bottles.

IDO thanks for suggesting T-58. GordonT thanks for sharing a great recipe. Very close to the original.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #75
ido50
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool, good to hear.

Oh yeast, you magnificent bastards.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #76
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post

IDO thanks for suggesting T-58. GordonT thanks for sharing a great recipe. Very close to the original.
You're welcome! Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Unless your reading was way off something odd did happen as I usually have an OG closer to 1075

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #77
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
You're welcome! Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Unless your reading was way off something odd did happen as I usually have an OG closer to 1075
This was my first brew with this setup, actually is my first setup ever. 2 PID, 3 keggles, etc and might have been my extraction. I started the timer when I hit the grains with the strike water - should have started it when the mashtun temp was back up to the mash temp so the efficiency could have suffered a bit.

THere is also the other posibility - doing my first ever gravity read in a wine thief I could have messed it up. Will check it out after kegging it.

Is there a easy way to check the ABV after the beer is finished ?

Taste wise is almost there!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #78
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For those that keg this what's the CO2 pressure used ? 20 or 30 ?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I will use this chart to set my carbonation

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Another update after 10 days I kegged it and I put it in the kegorator. No carbonation yet, wating to drop to 39-40F then I will do a 2.60 based in the chart.

But the main reason I do reply to this thread is to give a feedback on the taste and numbers of my 2 5 galon batch one done with T-58 and one with Ardennes that I fermenterd 11 days in 1st at 63 and 10 days in 2nd at 64.

I have to say that the ardennes continued t ferment slowly at that temp and FG with it was 1.005 while the T-58 stayed put at 1.010. On top of that ardennes batch does smell and taste better - it was the other way around after 1st.

So I will force carbonate and consume the Ardennes batch first while giving 2 weeks to the T-58. They is a lot of floral aromas in the Ardennes and I think will make a great beer.

I am a bit puzzled to keep the T-58 at low temp 40ish in the kegorator or bring it upstairs to a warm place at 70F ? Any advice ?

Thanks!
Q

Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #80
LeFreek
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am currently conducting an experiment that may interest followers of this thread. 2.5 weeks ago I brewed 35 liters of wort using GordonT's recipe for malt/sugar with wheat and oats chosen 50/50 malted/unmalted, Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops aiming for 20 IBUs, spices as suggested by GordonT. Late addition of sugar (after 8 days) as also suggested by GordonT. Initial gravity of the wort was 1072 (calculated). I split the wort in 25 liters + 10 liters. The large batch is fermenting with original Bosteels yeast, harvested from 4 bottles of fresh Tripel Karmeliet. The smaller batch is meant as a reference, and is fermenting with a neutral all-purpose dry yeast, for which I chose Nottingham. After 10 days the SG of the batch with Bosteels yeast dropped to 1021, whereas the reference batch with Nottingham yeast was already at 1012. Taste of the Bosteels batch was better, more mellow. Too early to say if it will be similar to commercial Karmeliet.

The high SG for the Bosteels batch makes sense, as we think that the Bosteels yeast has a low attenuation. I measured FG of commercial Tripel Karmeliet last week, and it was 1016, which is high for a brew with 6% sugar in the mash. Kwak, another beer by Bosteels probably fermented with the same yeast, has a FG of 1020 with an assumed 10-16% sugar in the mash (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/kwak...14/index2.html). I find these high FGs somewhat confusing. Any suggestions?

I will let the beers rest for another month, and then put them in kegs an bottles. The bottle conditioned ones will be the most interesting for the experiment, as they will resemble commercial Tripel Karmeliet the most. Final judgement expected in September. Keep you posted!

Quick Reply