Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Karmeliet Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suilesre View Post
Brewing this tomorrow with WLP500. Major props for all the leg work and research. I've added my sugars to the primary in past batches without issue but might try it in the boil for this batch.
You're welcome, hope you enjoy the finished product. If your yeast is strong and your conversion I don't think the additiion of sugar past high kreusen is that big a deal. Whatever works best for you.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #52
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido50 View Post
Got this in primary just 24 hours ago. Brewed it a week ago (I'm doing no-chill). Since we don't have liquid yeast here I decided to try a 2.5 gallon batch of this with Safale T-58. I hope the spicy nature of this yeast will compliment this beer and not the opposite. Krausen dropped about an hour ago (fast), so I added the sugar just now. Here's a pic from a few hours ago, before the Krausen dropped.
Looks perfect

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #53
ido50
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm just now finishing my first glass of this beer. This is the first brew I've done with soft water (having finally understood the mineral content and ph of my water are causing me a whole lot of problems), and it's probably my best. The color is exactly like Tripel Karmeliet (could never make a light colored beer with my regular water), the aroma is spot on, and the taste is very similiar (though there are differences). I could use a little more body/sweetness, and a little less bitterness (it's possible that my hop utilization is larger since I do no-chill), but I'm very happy with how this turned out, I'm amazed at how close it is to Tripel Karmeliet.

By the way, I did not add the spices while boiling (that is the licorice, orange peel and coriander), instead I let them soak in vodka for about two weeks and added to the beer when moving to the Party Pig. I definitely feel the licorice but could use a little more. Head retention is the best I've ever had.

Thanks a lot for this recipe, this is awesome.

Oh yeast, you magnificent bastards.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #54
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I'm just now finishing my first glass of this beer. This is the first brew I've done with soft water (having finally understood the mineral content and ph of my water are causing me a whole lot of problems), and it's probably my best. The color is exactly like Tripel Karmeliet (could never make a light colored beer with my regular water), the aroma is spot on, and the taste is very similiar (though there are differences). I could use a little more body/sweetness, and a little less bitterness (it's possible that my hop utilization is larger since I do no-chill), but I'm very happy with how this turned out, I'm amazed at how close it is to Tripel Karmeliet.

By the way, I did not add the spices while boiling (that is the licorice, orange peel and coriander), instead I let them soak in vodka for about two weeks and added to the beer when moving to the Party Pig. I definitely feel the licorice but could use a little more. Head retention is the best I've ever had.

Thanks a lot for this recipe, this is awesome.
You're welcome sir. Glad I could help out. Definitely one of my favourites and pretty darned close to the original.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #55
ido50
Recipes 

Man, what a great beer. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it. Definitely my best brew yet.

20130131_225235.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #56
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Man, what a great beer. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it. Definitely my best brew yet.
Great pic Ido. So glad you're enjoying it. I have been unable to brew for the past couple of months and this is top of the list for me again also.

Have one for me...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #57
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Sounds like a good clone. Few extra question

1. Anyone has done it in 10-11galons ? Any adjustments ?
2. Anyone has it in Beer Smith and is willing to share it ?
3. Anyone tried it with dry yeast ?
4. Off topic: since you like this style I thought I'd ask if anyone knows a good Saison recipe that could share ?

Please feel free to site email me!

Thanks in advance!
Q

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #58
ido50
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
Sounds like a good clone. Few extra question

1. Anyone has done it in 10-11galons ? Any adjustments ?
2. Anyone has it in Beer Smith and is willing to share it ?
3. Anyone tried it with dry yeast ?
4. Off topic: since you like this style I thought I'd ask if anyone knows a good Saison recipe that could share ?

Please feel free to site email me!

Thanks in advance!
Q
Like I wrote, I tried it with dry yeast (Safale T-58) and had very good results.

theQ Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #59
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks ido50!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #60
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post

The area I miss in this beer is its floral hop/spice taste. Close but not exact yet.
Maybe add more hops towards the end ? Hallertau is amazing...

Quick Reply