Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #251
usurpers26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah the initial recipe we posted was with a somewhat poor BHE - I would have to check my notes. We have it dialed in to consistently hit 1.070 now with the same grain bill. There is absolutely no noticeable hotness either.

Hmm, ours is so hop neutral. I love sorachi, so unique, I think that would make a fabulous experiment! Pellets are just easier for us. If you go leaf, account for the extra absorption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Question about the OG and the sugar...

I'm getting 1.058 at 73% mash efficiency with the pils & rye alone. With the additional 2 lbs. of dark rock candi sugar added at flameout, the OG should be affected by several points. Shouldn't that boost the OG to more like 1.064? Or was your efficiency more like 67%, which would negate this dilemma?

Question on the hop selection...

If you wanted to use a more characterful American grown hop here, which one would you recommend? I'm thinking Sorachi Ace or Amarillo. And do you recommend pellets over leaf hops for this beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #252
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks.

Did you enjoy the taste/feel of the brew more with your initial 1.058/1.004 gravities or more at the present time, e.g. 1.070/1.004, I assume?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #253
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

There was no perceptible difference in either. The 3711 along with Rye just gives it that perfect smooth, silky-ness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Thanks.

Did you enjoy the taste/feel of the brew more with your initial 1.058/1.004 gravities or more at the present time, e.g. 1.070/1.004, I assume?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #254
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpers26 View Post
Same as my last reply. Let us know how it turns out!
I do realise it will be different. I would be very dissapointed if it turned out the same I wanted to do a saison which used brett in mixed fermentation. I wanted to use rye for a more... rustic brew. While the malt is the same, I guess its closer to this brew by the mad fermentationalist

I'll let you know how it turns out tough.
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #255
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I did my own version of rye saison based on OP recipe, its rather different but i kept rye at 24% and used 3711. I just bottled 11gal of this beer, OG 1.049, FG at 1.003 and gravity sample was excellent, it may get on my favorite recipes list

Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #256
pulseyou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stoked to brew this. So I just got my chest freezer and temperature control for my fermentation chamber. What temp should I set my chest freezer at in order to get fermentation temp of 71? Or I've read you can tape the probe to the side of the glass carboy if I wrap the probe with bubble wrap. If this is true do I wrap the entire probe w/ bubble wrap and then tape it to side of fermentor or do I tape probe to the side of the fermentor and then wrap bubble wrap on the side?
Cheers!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #257
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulseyou View Post
I've read you can tape the probe to the side of the glass carboy if I wrap the probe with bubble wrap. If this is true do I wrap the entire probe w/ bubble wrap and then tape it to side of fermentor or do I tape probe to the side of the fermentor and then wrap bubble wrap on the side?
Cheers!
You tape directly to the fermenter then cover in bubble wrap or styrofoam, you're trying to insulate the probe from the ambient air.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #258
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Just tape probe to fermenter and you are golden, we use reflectix, a little patch just enough to cover the probe...

whoops, totally missed the post above that answered your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulseyou View Post
Stoked to brew this. So I just got my chest freezer and temperature control for my fermentation chamber. What temp should I set my chest freezer at in order to get fermentation temp of 71? Or I've read you can tape the probe to the side of the glass carboy if I wrap the probe with bubble wrap. If this is true do I wrap the entire probe w/ bubble wrap and then tape it to side of fermentor or do I tape probe to the side of the fermentor and then wrap bubble wrap on the side?
Cheers!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #259
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpers26
The WY3711 is really what makes this beer. I would order it online or ask your LBHS to order it for you before substituting.
True? I thought wlp565 = wy3724 and wlp566=wy3711?
On tap: Hop Hammer, Cottage House Saison, Western MI IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Centennial Blonde, caramel apple cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #260
Lagger
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have this coming up the pipepline soon Using washed 3711 from previous batch & brett dregs from another bottle. Here's my grist:

Rye Saison - Saison
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 4.750 gal
Boil Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.4%
Bitterness: 35.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - Pilsen Malt Grain 3.000 lb Yes No 80% 1 L
Briess - Rye Malt Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 80% 4 L
Briess DME - Pilsen Light Dry Extract 1.000 lb No Yes 95% 2 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Candi Sugar, Clear Sugar 16.000 oz No Yes 78% 1 L
Total grain: 9.000 lb

Not using dark candi to keep the color light. Also using Amarillo & Citra opposed to Goldings. Brewtarget doesnt have 3711 listed so I know FG will be a'lil lower. Will be dry-hopping a touch with Citra. Looking forward to the Rye Saison funk

Quick Reply