Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #231
beowulf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my shot at this brew. It is simply awesome...one of my favorites! Thanks a bunch, usurpers26...

img_2170.jpg   img_2284.jpg  

I could murder a pint! -Lovejoy

The Moravian Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #232
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I am about to brew this bad-boy up and have just one quick question about the starter size. I have an about 1.35 liter starter sitting the the fridge crashing. Would that be an appropriate amount to pitch into a 6 gallon batch of this beer? The mfg date on the yeast was from September I believe. Or would you guys suggest stepping it up a little to get the proper pitch rate?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #233
ballz50401
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

By using this calculator: http://yeastcalc.com/ it looks like you'd be underpitching by 40% if you use intermittent shaking for the starter. It was mentioned in the recipe that this brew was underpitched by 20% to stress the yeast for more ester production. It's up to you, but a 1 liter step up starter wouldn't hurt.

Primary: Aussie Wheat, Sweet Potato Ale
Secondary: None
Furture Brews: Flat Squirrel Brown Ale

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #234
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

So I just brewed this up and all went well, except I had just adjusted my barley crusher and wound up with an OG of 1.070. So I just want to ask any of you who overshot the gravity by about as much as myself, how did the beer come out? Is there anything I should do to fix this? Id hate to have messed up a batch that is supposed to be as tasty as this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #235
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

You will be absolutely fine. We have adjusted our recipe/dialed in our BHE to a consistent 70OG with this beer now (at 8.6% ABV ) and it is just as fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
So I just brewed this up and all went well, except I had just adjusted my barley crusher and wound up with an OG of 1.070. So I just want to ask any of you who overshot the gravity by about as much as myself, how did the beer come out? Is there anything I should do to fix this? Id hate to have messed up a batch that is supposed to be as tasty as this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #236
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just brewed this, but swapped out Pale Malt for the Pils and Flaked Maze for the sugar, and added some aromatic malt and some peppercorn, Grains of paradise, and orange zest in the last 5 minutes.. had it sit for about 2 months while i opened up room in the keezer.. :O
Had this last night after being on gas for a week and WOW...AMAZING... At about 7%abv this will sneak up on you and super smooth..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #237
thadass
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Just brewed this yesterday. Used a German Pils malt instead of Belgian and some home-made candi sugar that's not as dark as the store-bought dark candi is, so it'll end up a bit lighter in the end. Underpitched about 20% and it's going to be at ~75F while another saison I have going finishes up, then I'll drop it to the 71F of the recipe.

Oh and I mis-recorded the recipe and only did a 60min boil... not sure how much it'll affect it, but I hit my target volume on the nose at least! Can't wait to try this in March and post a pic of the final product

Wild Love Brewing
Brew Stats | Brewlog | Fermentation chamber

Drinking: Late for Breakfast Stout, How Rye Am I? Saison, HD 2013, Graff
Bottle conditioning: Nut Brown Ale, EdWort's Hause Pale Ale
Primaries: Dry Irish Stoat, Oatish

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #238
Aa760
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Following... Sounds like a winner!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #239
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Brew this (or rather my version inspired by this recipe) on Sunday and its fermenting nicely. I was probably drinking when found this post months ago and now i see i modified it a bit too much, i still have 25% rye but somehow 5% of crystal 40 got to the grist together with 1.5oz of black patent for color as i missed the dark sugar. I reread the OP and im not sure if i want to add sugar to the fermenter or just skip it completely, 3711 usually drys my beers all the way 1.000-1.004 so maybe i dont need it or should i add it?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #240
Aa760
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed this up this afternoon- fun brew day, aside from the couple of stuck sparges, despite the rice hulls- did about a half pound of 'em- should have done the whole pound, I guess. Mashed a little low- 149. Hit 1.072 for my post boil OG- boiled hard for 90 mins, plus satellite boiled an extra gallon or so of the runnings when my pot filled up, then combined the two at 30 mins to go as the volume was reduced enough to get it all together. My question is this: since my OG is so high, should I still at the candi sugar (I grabbed a pound of D90 in liquid form for ease of adding once the yeast have chewed on the big 3 malt sugars for a few days)? I pitched 2L of healthy, well oxygenated and nutrified 3711 this evening at 70 degrees where it will sit for duration of fermentation, aside from natural metabolic temperature increases. Curious what those that are following this thread, those that have brewed it, and hopefully the op have to say about adding the candi sugar still, or not. Thanks in advance for your input!

Quick Reply