Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #221
natewv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So if I wanted to age this in a secondary for awhile, would I cold crash before putting it in a secondary glass bottle (I primary in buckets) or just rack and not cold crash until I keg later? Should I even be worrying about secondarying at all? I'd rather not, even thoug I'm still trying to wrap my head around whether or not there's really a 'danger' of autolysis. That said, I probably don't want to leave it for more than 5 or 6 weeks on the yeast...right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #222
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had mine in primary for 6 weeks on the nose with no problem then in the keg naturally carbbing for 3 weeks. Great beer that will be put into regular rotation

Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #223
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Does the Rye Spicyness fade or mellow as this beer ages? I'm finding that at 26% the Rye spice is a bit sharper than I care for (which is odd as I love a good Rye Whiskey).

Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #224
kagythings
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I decided to make this recipe as my first all grain today and everything went well. The wort tasted great, now I just have to wait for 3711 to do its magic. I'm excited to taste how it turns out. I did overshoot my OG. I was off with my water calculations and finished with 5 gallons rather than 5.5 so I ended up with 1.070 and hope the yeast does its work with the sugar but it doesn't taste to harsh with a higher alcohol. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #225
jdub44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This beer just took Reserve Best of Show in my local homebrew competition which had 123 entries. I actually brewed this as a 10 gallon batch that I split with a buddy. He decided to ferment his with Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. I was adament on using the 3711 based on this thread. His beer didn't even place in the top 6 for that category. We sampled them both side by side. The 3711 was definitely spicier and a little drier too. What a beautiful beer, will definitely be brewing again very soon.

Josh
www.warehousebrewery.com

Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #226
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Even though it is well over a year since I posted this recipe, I have to edit the original post.

There were a few questions early on about the candi sugar and the color being SO dark... Yeah I know, it's "only" color but since we are making this a production beer on a regular schedule it was time to dot the i's and cross the t's. We should have caught this way earlier but to be honest, the color output we get from our software is probably the last thing that we verify.

The sugar is really only 75SRM, which results in a 9-10SRM beer.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #227
CrystallineEntity
cosmozoan life-form
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well then mine is way too dark. I used D180 and put it in at the beginning of the boil. Just kegged it tonight. Depending on how it turns out, I might try it again with a different sugar.
Thanks for the recipe, and the correction.

I fit right in with the people I admire most - David Yow

http://smokenator.com/

Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #228
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. The only difference will be the color and to be honest with ya when we first came up with the recipe we were shooting for a saison that was a little darker than the norm. The different color sugars will not alter the flavor at all.

You can say that maybe addidng the sugar earlier in the boil might have a small effect since you get more caramelization, etc. We have played aorund with when we add the sugar during the boil and haven't noticed any change in the flavor.

I just wanted to update the thread for posterities sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystallineEntity View Post
Well then mine is way too dark. I used D180 and put it in at the beginning of the boil. Just kegged it tonight. Depending on how it turns out, I might try it again with a different sugar.
Thanks for the recipe, and the correction.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #229
stevensmith501
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you think Danstar Belle Saison would do alright with this recipe or is the Wyeast what really makes it? If this question has been asked before, I apologize. I read through several pages and didn't catch it. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #230
ballz50401
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just brewed this recipe today. It was in the 70's here a couple days ago and of course my only day off this week was in the 20's! Saison is one of my favorite style's and it took me 47 previous batches before I finally brewed one. Can't wait to try this!!

Quick Reply