Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #211
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am brewing this right now. I don't have any dark candi sugar and the LHBS doesn't open for a couple of hours. I was thinking of subbing in molasses. What do ye think?

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #212
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Using a WLP568, **** it, it will be beer. Just didn't have time this weekend to make it to either spot. If Thirsty Brewer was open at a reasonable time I would have had my brother pick some up but it didn't open till 2. Weird. Anyway, it won't be exactly what I can get with 3711 but I'm going to RDWABAWB.

Never used Candi sugar before, do I just add it toward the end of the boil?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #213
eviljay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Yeah, taste it. It's effectively rock candy.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #214
GrizBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv View Post
Never used Candi sugar before, do I just add it toward the end of the boil?
There are different schools of thought on when to add sugars. Some do it late in the boil, some at high krausen and some after the krausen drops. The theory behind adding during fermentation is that it stresses the yeast less because it has already chewed through the maltose and multiplied, so adding during or after krausen it can concentrate more on the sucrose and attenuate lower.

I have used 3711 many times and have always added candi sugar at high krausen. This time, I decided to add my sugar (molasses) during the boil just to get some color. I wasn't sure if dark candi (or my molasses sub) would get all of the color if I added it during krausen.

I truly think that 3711 will chew through whatever you've got no matter when you add it. Other yeasts that I trust less, I add at high krausen. As the OP mentioned, he under pitched to stress the yeast and get more esters. So worst case scenario, I figure, will be that I get more 3711 flavor

One thing to beware of: if you use software like Beersmith, it will figure your OG as if you are adding to the boil. If you plan to add at high krausen, you can either write down your OG before you include it in your ingredients list or just figure it will come out a couple of points lower, which you will get back at high krausen.

Beer it's what's for dinner

Check out my homebrew documentary

Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #215
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This beer inspired me to take on a rye saison of my own creation with a different hop schedule (Styrian Goldings/Saaz) and the DuPont strain. (LHBS was out of 3711) Brewed on 7/5 and legged today 8/7 - 1056 OG and 1006 FG. All I can say is that if it turns out as good as the hydrometer sample, it will likely be my first competition beer. While not the exact same beer as this one, I did use the grain bill/proportions as this recipe, thanks to the OP for a great brew inspiration.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #216
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this on 7/13, just checked the FG and it's at 1.001, so probably kegging this weekend. The sample tasted like a donkey stuck his nose in the fermenter. From reading descriptions here, I wasn't expecting that much funk (fermented it around 70-72), but the spice from the rye (and I guess some from the yeast) really has it tasting good. Got the kegerator filled right now, so going to carb with corn sugar, since it will be a couple of weeks since I have a free spot. Ready to get this on tap, should be good for end of summer/first of fall.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #217
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brewed this on 7/7/12 and checked it on 8/14/12. In 5 weeks on yeast it had gone to a FG of .999. Talk about a monster yeast. Looking forward to tasting it after its been in the keg for two weeks.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #218
TheDocta16
Recipes 

Very cool recipe. I want to try and hone in my saison 3711 recipe. I like the idea of accenting the pepperiness w/ spicy rye. I think it is just what my brew needs. In case anyone was wondering, I hopburst mine with citra and amarillo. I'm wondering whether I should try candi syrup vs. just table sugar. Any thoughts on the flavor contributions that the syrup will make. I would most likely use a light syrup b/c I like that aesthetic and don't want any dark fruits in there.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #219
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I brewed 5 gallons of this and hit OG of 1.056 without the sugar. I let it ferment out until the krausen fell and then added 0.75lb of turbinado dissolved in a few cups of water. I let it sit for a total of 2.5 weeks and my FG is 1.002.. that yeast is a beast. Flat hydrometer sample tasted really good with a much bigger mouthfeel than I was expecting for that low of a FG.. I assume it's the rye giving it the body.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #220
usurpers26
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Yep, the rye as well as the 3711 give it a perfect mouthfeel. The 3711 really adds a nice smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAngler View Post
I brewed 5 gallons of this and hit OG of 1.056 without the sugar. I let it ferment out until the krausen fell and then added 0.75lb of turbinado dissolved in a few cups of water. I let it sit for a total of 2.5 weeks and my FG is 1.002.. that yeast is a beast. Flat hydrometer sample tasted really good with a much bigger mouthfeel than I was expecting for that low of a FG.. I assume it's the rye giving it the body.

Quick Reply