Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Houblon Chouffe aka HopChewy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #71
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow, pretty excited.

I'm making a few changes.

5.5 Gallon Batch (What was your total water volume for 5 gallons?)

Magnum pellets instead of Columbus (Warrior also available)
Cascade pellets instead of Amarillo (Summit also available)

I'm also considering making a Light Candi Syrup for the 20 minute sugar addition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #72
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would really like to brew this one, but I don't really think I can step mash. Any thoughts on what would be the effect if I just do a single infusion?

Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #73
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin0782 View Post
I would really like to brew this one, but I don't really think I can step mash. Any thoughts on what would be the effect if I just do a single infusion?
Step mashes are actually pretty easy...start thick, then add boiling water to raise, and finish thin. Here's a great calculator: http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

But, a long (75-90 min) single infusion at 153 should work great.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #74
tellyho
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Brewed this last week and looking forward to the final product. Step mash is too much work. so i mashed at 153 for a while. Ended up collecting a little too much wort, so OG was 1.072, but the upside will be an extra 1/2 gallon of finished product. Blowoff tube was definitely necessary, but it's calmed down considerably after 2 days of heavy krausen. I'm going to "lager" in my garage in MA, so it will probably not wind up as clear. I'll report back.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #75
Grinch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm planning on giving this a shot sometime soon... I've got T-58 dry yeast on hand, will that work?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #76
aleksander9
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

I am seriously considering brewing this! But, i dont have a fermentation chamber.
Is it okay to just leave it in primary for a month? I can add some irish moss to clear it a little bit at least.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #77
tellyho
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

You can totally brew it without temperature control. However, if you want the Belgiany character, the high temp is necessary. I also think that Belgian yeasts are more finicky about temperature changes - I've had yeast flocculate early when cooled too much, before I was comfortable just running things at a really high temp.

A possible solution is to strap a heating pad to your carboy / bucket with an ace bandage. I'm currently using this treatment with a partigyle sweet stout that won't fit in my ferm chamber (even though I swear I built that thing to accommodate 2 vessels - sigh). To be fair, I don't really care that much how the sweet stout turns out, as its just the little brother of the RIS. If you run the pad for an hour in the morning and an hour at night, you might be able to keep things somewhere near 75. Adding a blanket would probably help.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #78
Sambecker1
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed 11 gallons today. Samples tasted great and hit numbers spot on. It was actually my best brew day yet and it was 19 degrees today. Maybe cold weather made me more hyper-vigilant.

image-2038347121.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #79
aleksander9
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

whats the boil size? Can i make this beer without the lagering? I dont have a fridge that fits my fermentation bucket.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #80
tellyho
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksander9
whats the boil size? Can i make this beer without the lagering? I dont have a fridge that fits my fermentation bucket.
I think Houblon addresses this. I suspect it can be done without lagering. I don't think the product will taste the same.

I don't know where you live. I'm in New England, and have had three solid weeks of good lagering temps in my garage.

It's a normal length boil, so however much you need to collect to wind up with 5.5 gallons.

Quick Reply