Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Houblon Chouffe aka HopChewy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #51
Houblon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
houblon do you keep it at 75F during the entire primary?
Yes, I find its the best temp. Always check gravity before transfer - 1.006 - 1.008 is the numbers you need before secondary & dryhopping @ lager temps.

Right now I'm doing a test with the Gnome batch, one is dry hopping at room temps and the other is in the fridge as normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #52
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

looks great. i undershot the OG by a lot, but I figured I would since i typically get around 70%. next time i'll bump up the malt/sugar

i cooled a bit to much and pitched around 70 but it didn't take long to climb to 75 and it's been there ever since.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #53
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

came home today (48 hours after pitching) and the krausen has already fallen...is this normal? airlock activity has slowed.

it took off within 2 hours after pitching, i pitched a huge starter.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #54
Houblon
Recipes 

Yes the yeast goes thur stages, up-down,chunky followed by a slimy layer before fading away. Just don't even look at the beer for 14 days.. then check gravity LOL

Ever see this vid?

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/im...ootwindows.wmv

Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #55
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

so, i still have another week of lagering, but i realized my primary temp was at 79F.

my controller was set up for a silicon element, as that's what i have to control my fridge. but i grabbed a nickel element to use in my thermowell/ferm heater. so while the controller thought it was controlling to 75F, it was really controlling to 79F.

i noticed at racking it was a little "hot" as kabouter mentioned, but Houblon is a little hot as well if i remember right

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #56
Houblon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
>thought it was controlling to 75F, it was really controlling to 79F.

i noticed at racking it was a little "hot" as kabouter mentioned, but Houblon is a little hot as well if i remember right
Ouch! a couple yrs ago a guy on NB had the same problem and found it took a few months to mellow.

Houblon isn't hot, fresh it was sharp from the columbus but never hot.

If you think its going to be hot from the spike let it lager abit longer, it should be ready to drink at wk 5 when everything goes as planned.

-
My Gnome Houblon test (warm vs lager-> dry hop temps) show the best is lager temps for dry hopping. Warm temps give the beer a dirty hop profile that overpowers the low gravity batch, thus you don't get the nice yeasty aroma , just lots of spicey hops.

Kinda kills the nice subtle balance that makes Houblon so nice.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #57
joe4444
Recipes 

Had a question about your final gravity of 1.006.

You start with 4.88 kg (10.75 lbs) of Pilsener Malt and .91 kg (2 lbs) of Beet Sugar and get an OG of 1.078.

This roughly means you started out with 390 Gravity Units (92 from Beet Sugar and 288 from the Pilsener after about 75% efficiency).

Since the batch size is 5 gallons, the final gravity needs to end up at about 30 Gravity Units to equal 1.006.

Since the Beet Sugar fully ferments, that means the yeast would have to take the Pilsener from 288 to 30.

This would be an 89.6% attenuation rate. White Labs list the attenuation rate at 78%-85%.

Are you seeing that you get ~90% when fermenting at 75 degrees?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #58
Houblon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4444 View Post
Are you seeing that you get ~90% when fermenting at 75 degrees?

copied from >http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wye...s-info-228923/

FYI using up to 15% sugar I always get 91-93% attenuation with wlp550 -wy3522 all below 77F.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #59
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

kegged it this weekend - really nice! any hotness has faded, i can't wait for it to carb!

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #60
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

did a side-by-side this weekend. sorry, no pics.

color is close, mine is slightly lighter. chouffe is a bit sweeter, but mine has a cleaner finish. My OG was lower than expected (1.069), I imagine if i were to hit that it would have been very close. hopping seems to be spot-on.

gonna brew this again within the next month or so. fantastic tripel. my only issue now is balancing, I have a 20' 3/16" line on and it still pours foamy at 22psi (3.4vols at 40F).

Quick Reply