Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Honey-Rosemary Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default All-Grain - Honey-Rosemary Saison

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU: 32.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6.9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 68-72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Nope
Tasting Notes: Crisp

Brewed this for my friends' wedding, using "symbolic" ingredients honey and rosemary, as a beery testament to love. I can be mushy sometimes . Final version from discussion in THIS THREAD.

THIS RECIPE WAS BREWED VIA BREW-IN-A-BAG AND NO-CHILL METHODS.

Quote:
6 lb 2-row (US)
4 lb White Wheat malt
1.5 lb honey, wildflower (added to No-Chill cube)
.5 lb Aromatic malt

.5 oz Sorachi Ace (15.1%, leaf) FWH (IBUs calculated as a 30 min addition)
.5 oz Sorachi Ace (15.1%, leaf) 40 min
1 sprig fresh Rosemary, about 4 inches (leaves only, bruised), in the No-Chill vessel

Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Mash @ 150 for 90 min
Mash-out @ 170 for 10 min
Boil for 60 min
This beer is definitely a saison, and the rosemary definitely comes through. The honey, not so much (see note). Very dry, crisp, and drinkable, though the rosemary does add a slightly sticky resiny sensation. All in all, this has been a hit with everyone who's tried it.

A couple notes:
1.) If chilling, some brewers may recommend changing the 40 minute addition to 60 minutes to accommodate the shorter time on the heat. I'd probably agree.

2.) If chilling your wort, make the rosemary maybe a 10-5 minute addition and possibly dry-herb as well. I really like the cube addition, though at first it did taste kind of like cooked rosemary. That's smoothed out a bit.

3.) I added the honey to the cube because I figured I would lose less aromatics than if I added it to the boil. I was wrong. Really don't notice the honey, unless it's playing a supporting roll that I just can't pinpoint. I don't really miss it. If you really want to taste the honey add it to secondary.

4.) I chose 3711 because it fully attenuated in the 65-75 degree range while still giving lovely phenols and esters. 3711 is a beast!!!

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Update: This brew won Bronze in the Belgian Specialty category at the James River Homebrewers' Dominion Cup this past weekend. Another brewer who used this recipe also got Bronze in the Herb/Spice category.

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply