Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - Hoemaade Hoegaarden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
glanville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Here is the variation on this recipe that I used, partial mash:

4lbs Pale row US 2 Row (44.4%)
12oz White Wheat Malt (8.3%)
4oz Biscuit Malt (2.8%)
4oz Flaked Oats (lightly toasted in oven 15 minutes at 350*) (2.8%)
4oz Flaked Wheat (2.8%)
3lbs White Wheat Dry Extract

.5oz Hallertauer (4.3 AA) 60 min
.5oz Hallertauer (4.3) 30 min
.5oz Saaz (4.0) 30 min

-At 15 minutes before end of boil
Add additional 8oz White Wheat DME
Add zest of 2 lemons and 2 oranges (soaked in 1/2 cup vodka)
Add 1/2 tsp coriander
Add 5 crushed cloves

Belgian Witbier Wyeast 3944 - made 3/4l starter
Fermented on the inner fruit (peel removed) from the lemons and oranges
Fermented 68* for 2 weeks, bottled for 2 weeks with 4.5oz priming sugar.

Last edited by glanville; 04-16-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #22
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanville View Post
Had a taste yesterday. This beer is good! I'm not getting the oriander, orange or lemon flavors very much though I thought I used quite a lot.
Glad it came out good! The coriander and citrus are supposed to be subtle anyway, so I think that's a good thing. I'm actually planning to make this again soon with orange zest and 2# orange blossom honey (honey added after the wort is cooled to pitch temps to preserve delicate flavor) and see if that brings out more orange. Although it will be less like a true Hoegaarden.

Also, I'm going to use freshly ground coriander (rather than pre-ground) next time because I want it to be a tad more spicy.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
pyrocam
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Everything Dissapeared?

Hi I was brewing this but with some NZ variation on the ingredients
Everything was great, I tasted the hydro samples and it was very hoegaarden'y I was quite excited.
We have had a bit of a cold snap and I thought the yeast had stalled since it got stuck on 1016. still looking and tasting great though, although it seemed to have a really large amount of 'stuff' still floating around.

I gave it a little shake, moved it into a much warmer area and let it sit for a few days.
when I took the next hydro I was surprised that most of the floating stuff had dissapeared and so did the taste. All the hoegaarden flavour dissapeared with the floating stuff.

I learned from my local brew shop that the wheat beer type yeasts are meant to suspend the 'stuff' so it was in fact fine, if just a little high on the hydro.

Any idea's what went wrong? Why would moving it into a warmer place destroy it? I want to try this recipe again.
My ingredients
temperature data, before it was moved is available if anyone considers it relevant.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Unibrow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocam View Post

Any idea's what went wrong? Why would moving it into a warmer place destroy it? I want to try this recipe again.
My ingredients
temperature data, before it was moved is available if anyone considers it relevant.
I doubt anything is wrong. You were probably just seeing yeast rafts, and it's good that they eventually dropped...the flavor will be in tact when you rack for bottling. The FG might be slightly too high, but if it's stabilized, you're ready to bottle this sucker up. Let us know how it is

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
wolfareno
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This looks great, and I'm getting ready to make this, but I'm gonna do a BIAB, and I want to try to do a full boil. I know I'll get more hops utilization with a full boil, but my main concern is making too thin of a mash. If I try to add all of the strike water (~7.1 gallons) but only mash with 4.875lbs of grain, will I get off-flavors or tannin extraction? Should I set my target boil volume for the mash to be the 3 gal, and then after the mash just add the rest of the water, up to ~6.5 gal to account for boil off? I'm still playing with the BIAB process, but it's working pretty well for me so far. Thanks for any help!

-Wolf

Old 07-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #26
Unibrow
Recipes 

I can only vouch for my method here. While there is probably nothing wrong with your plan, I think you'e making more work for yourself. The beauty of the partial mash is NOT having to do the full boil, hence saving some time and effort with cooling. You can do BIAB with partial, or just Multiply the grain bill by 2 and do a full boil BIAB, essentially upgrading to all grain

Either way will work fine I'm sure, but I wouldnt do a full boil with less than 5 lb of grains

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #27
gtmaus
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed this up about 6 weeks ago. Just got done having my first bottle out of the batch. Very nice!! The flavors are balanced out very nicely. I'll definitely brew this one again. On the next batch I might switch up the hops and replace the saaz with maybe hallertauer. What's your thought on that?

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
pyrocam
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibrow View Post
I doubt anything is wrong. You were probably just seeing yeast rafts, and it's good that they eventually dropped...the flavor will be in tact when you rack for bottling. The FG might be slightly too high, but if it's stabilized, you're ready to bottle this sucker up. Let us know how it is
I'm afraid to say this is possibly the worst beer I have ever made. I believe that I stirred up something nasty when I shook the fermenter.
I expect I will try this again but unfortuantly this batch is not pleasant at all. It is quite a stark comparison to the samples I tried before while the 'stuff'/yeast rafts was suspended. I still think this was just the wheat DME which was giving the flavour.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why would you shake a fermenter? You may have oxidize the batch would no doubt would contribute to off flavors.

Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #30
Unibrow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocam View Post
I'm afraid to say this is possibly the worst beer I have ever made. I believe that I stirred up something nasty when I shook the fermenter.
I expect I will try this again but unfortuantly this batch is not pleasant at all. It is quite a stark comparison to the samples I tried before while the 'stuff'/yeast rafts was suspended. I still think this was just the wheat DME which was giving the flavour.
Bummer about the results but, yeah, shaking the fermenter can be really bad news. If I ever have to rouse the yeast (very very infrequently) I will gently swirl the bucket.

Also, without a picture we can't confirm what was floating about. It may have been harmless yeast rafts or a bacterial infection.

Quick Reply