Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #51
BlackPawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Maybe, but this ( link ) is an awesome beer. Most of us agree that the flavor of the beer reads left to right with primarily orange and clove flavor followed by coriander. It might take a lot of fine tuning to balance the cloves with the other flavors but I know it can be done on a large scale, I'm just looking for a way to clone something like that on a 5 gal scale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #52
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPawn View Post
Maybe, but this ( link ) is an awesome beer. Most of us agree that the flavor of the beer reads left to right with primarily orange and clove flavor followed by coriander. It might take a lot of fine tuning to balance the cloves with the other flavors but I know it can be done on a large scale, I'm just looking for a way to clone something like that on a 5 gal scale.
I think with this beer that you can detect some clove but its not from using clove its from yeast ester from a fermentation below 66F.

Example Hefeweizens; using wyeast 3068 has these esters
62F and lower has a smell/taste is more on the clove side
66F and higher has a smell/taste is more on the banana side
The yeast on this recipe has a little of two above with a bit of bubblegum ester. wyeast 3944

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #53
TNTgill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am planning my first all grain brew so I am definately still a noob, as such I am going to start BIAB first. If I use the original recipe will I need the rice hulls since I am under the impression that those would normally be used to prevent a stuck sparge and don't add anything to fermentables? If I don't need them do I replace them with anything else? Thanks everyone.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #54
MooMan
Recipes 

I have attempted to read this entire thread and have not seen any discussion on clarifying agents (i.e. Irish Moss, Whirlfloc Tablets). Will the use of either reduce the great yeasty cloud that is characteristic of this beer? I typically keg, but I'm also worried about all the yeast settling to the bottom. I figure this beer is better bottled so one can swirl the yeast cake whilst serving.......

Thoughts?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #55
Kelpdog
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMan
I have attempted to read this entire thread and have not seen any discussion on clarifying agents (i.e. Irish Moss, Whirlfloc Tablets). Will the use of either reduce the great yeasty cloud that is characteristic of this beer? I typically keg, but I'm also worried about all the yeast settling to the bottom. I figure this beer is better bottled so one can swirl the yeast cake whilst serving.......

Thoughts?
I believe the cloudiness should be more of a function of starch haze from the wheat additions than the yeast. Use of clarifying agents would impact this and are not part of this style. Racking normally after first/second fermentation should get the majority of the yeast to have fallen out of suspension. I, unfortunately, don't keg yet so I can't speak to impacts or considerations there but somehow doubt it would be an issue since the starch haze should stay consistent. Hope that helps!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #56
razorbuck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this last fall with some hop subsitutions and left the coriander in the secondary WAY too long. I really wasn't trying to clone the original but I was amazed how close it came even with my variations. I'm amazed this one isn't sitting higher up on the list because it was insanely close to the original. I don't think I could get it any closer. My 2 cents

Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #57
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default coming this spring

going to do this once the weather warms a bit.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #58
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbuck View Post
I brewed this last fall with some hop subsitutions and left the coriander in the secondary WAY too long. I really wasn't trying to clone the original but I was amazed how close it came even with my variations. I'm amazed this one isn't sitting higher up on the list because it was insanely close to the original. I don't think I could get it any closer. My 2 cents
Go ahead and rate it or thumb it up. Thanks!!

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #59
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I've brewed it last month (using brewferm blanche yeast) and just drank a full pint of the beer. It's really close to the original but the coriander was too strong for me, next time I'll tweak it a bit lower.
All in all, a great clone.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #60
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Spices can dissipate with time. That said they should be subtle in the beer. Also fresh vs dried can make a difference. Fresh grind vs dry out of a shaker. Fresh being more potent.

Hope your beer mellows with time.

Schlenkerla

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply