Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #31
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandcoding View Post
Quick Question.

I don't use a secondary and I bottle instead of keg. Will one of the following work for the 2nd coriander addition?

1. Add it to the bottom of the bottling bucket, fill on top of it.

2. Boil it for a few minutes with the priming sugar, add the mixture to the bottling bucket.

Cheers!

Kevin
I'd do the #2 option.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #32
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2 View Post
I brewed this on Friday. Nailed the OG of 1.047 but TOTALLY FORGOT to add the coriander and orange peel at the 5 minute mark. I decided to toss them both into a hop bad and then into the primary fermenter. Not sure how that is gonna turn out but I suspect fine. Wyeast 3944 is slowly chugging away. Sample was at 1.024 this morning.
Bottled this last week after two weeks in secondary and just tasted a sample. Very good clone, a little strong on the coriander at this point but I expect that will subside with some time. My beers don't seem to hit their stride until after two months. This will be great in late April and through the early summer.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #33
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is a great beer. Thanks for the recipe!

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #34
coldrice
Recipes 

So its not Belgian Pilsen or Begian Pale ale malt? is that just straight up 2 row?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #35
coldrice
Recipes 

And, also, is it only being racked to a secondary for the sake of the second coriander addition?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #36
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldrice View Post
And, also, is it only being racked to a secondary for the sake of the second coriander addition?
Yes, that and to let it finish. Think of it like dry hopping, but in this case its spice.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #37
alek
Recipes 

First off, thank you for sharing this recipe. Secondly, I have not moved to all-grain yet; has anyone done a successful conversion of this recipe to partial extract? If not, any advice on such conversion?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #38
BrewJohnson
Recipes 

I made this back in January and have been drinking it for a while now. The coriander is very pronounced and hasn't mellowed over time like I had hoped. It is still a great wit, but with the strong coriander spice it is a little more like Blue Moon than Hoegaarden. I will make it again but probably without the coriander addition to the secondary.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #39
st0neski
Recipes 

So i will be brewing this recipe this weekend. Just place my order for the ingredients. One problem is that my shop does not have WYEAST 3944 in stock right now and does not carry White Labs WLP400 either. They told me that WYEAST suggests WYEAST 3463 which is the Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit yeast. Do you think this will be fine with this recipe or should I drive the 45 minutes to the other shop near me that has the 3944?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #40
Paco
Recipes 

Hmmm... well, it's the first of their recommendations. I have 3944 and 3463... I"m just about to brew my next batch of 40 liters (~10 G); I was to split with 3944 and 3864 but this might tempt me to try 3463 instead of 3864... last batch with 3864 was really nice though...

I'd say go for it!

Quick Reply