Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #21
CanadianNorth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Great beer!

Happy hollidays!

Just been punching through a keg of this stuff I made four weeks ago - A++!!!!

Great recipe, I'll be putting on another of these in the winter for sure. i might go with a little more peel and a little less corrinander.

It's just beer man.... they've been doing it for years......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM   #22
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm glad you liked it, before you tweak, retry the mash with "5" so you get the higher OG. Unless you are certain that you don't want that much coriander or bump the orange peel up a bit.

The spice diminishes with age. If you drink this fast, then less might be better.

I love the effect of coriander and orange peel.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #23
BrewJohnson
Recipes 

I've been looking for a good Hoegaarden clone and I'm planning to try this recipe this weekend with high hopes. I had some Galena hops left over so I'm going to use them in place of the Millenium which are hard to find.

Question: Do you strain your wort when transferring to the primary or do you want the coriander to go in the fermenter? Since I have started bagging my hops I can go either way, just don't want to overdo the spice if that's not the target. Since the recipe calls for adding more to the secondary, it's not obvious to me.

Also, is there anything required to prepare/sanitize the coriander before adding to the secondary?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewJohnson View Post
I've been looking for a good Hoegaarden clone and I'm planning to try this recipe this weekend with high hopes. I had some Galena hops left over so I'm going to use them in place of the Millenium which are hard to find.

Question: Do you strain your wort when transferring to the primary or do you want the coriander to go in the fermenter? Since I have started bagging my hops I can go either way, just don't want to overdo the spice if that's not the target. Since the recipe calls for adding more to the secondary, it's not obvious to me.

Also, is there anything required to prepare/sanitize the coriander before adding to the secondary?

Thanks.
The spice is very, very subtle. Its not supposed be tasted in every sip. No filtering, dump it all to the primary.

No sanitizing needed for the coriander on the 2ndary.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
BrewJohnson
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response. Got my yeast starter going and I'll be making this tomorrow. I'll report back on my results.

Cheers

Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this on Friday. Nailed the OG of 1.047 but TOTALLY FORGOT to add the coriander and orange peel at the 5 minute mark. I decided to toss them both into a hop bad and then into the primary fermenter. Not sure how that is gonna turn out but I suspect fine. Wyeast 3944 is slowly chugging away. Sample was at 1.024 this morning.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #27
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

You might add the coriander in the 2ndary too, as much of it is lost in yeast scrubbing activity.

I'd give it a 50/50 coin toss.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #28
beerandcoding
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick Question.

I don't use a secondary and I bottle instead of keg. Will one of the following work for the 2nd coriander addition?

1. Add it to the bottom of the bottling bucket, fill on top of it.

2. Boil it for a few minutes with the priming sugar, add the mixture to the bottling bucket.

Cheers!

Kevin

Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #29
CanadianNorth
Recipes 

1/2 way through my 2nd batch of this one. Great stuff. Used a little more orange peel this time, and a little less coriander. My coriander is finely ground, so that may be why I need a little less (or it's just preference).

I am finding that the beer is clearing a little over time, is this usual or is it just me?

It's just beer man.... they've been doing it for years......

Old 02-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #30
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
1/2 way through my 2nd batch of this one. Great stuff. Used a little more orange peel this time, and a little less coriander. My coriander is finely ground, so that may be why I need a little less (or it's just preference).

I am finding that the beer is clearing a little over time, is this usual or is it just me?
Mine clears over time too. Give the keg a shake to see how low it is on yah and that should fix yer problem!

If you bottled it give the bottles a few gentle rolls before popping one open.

BS Nano-Brewery

Quick Reply