Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Hoegaarden Witbier Clone - Pierre Celis White

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
CanadianNorth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks,

I am certainly no pro, I haven't even figured out my mash efficiency yet.

I would like to make this brew with Northern Brewer and Saaz, think that would work? I have on hand: Saaz, Norhtern Brewer, Fuggles, and Progress.
I know I'm off-track from the original recipe....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always use Saaz in my wits, but that's me. I've always thought my recipe tastes a lot like hoegaarden also, but then again, it's not hard to match the profile. 50/50 pils/wheat basically.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
Hi,

I'm keen to try this beer, but I have a couple of questions (this will be my 5th all grain brew).
I noticed your water profile, my water is fairly soft (don't know exactly), and I usually use a ph 5.2 buffer. Should I be trying to match your water profile somehow?
As well, my LHBS only has "flaked wheat", how necessary is it to have the "Flaked Soft White Wheat America" in your recipe?

Thanks@!!
Flaked wheat is ok.

Don't worry about your water. If you can drink it from the tap and it tastes OK then its good for brewing. People manipulate water for hitting exact water profiles, my palate is not that precise, nor is my water screwed up taste-wise where I feel that I need to mess with it much. I use "5" to ensure I hit the pH target. The thought being is to get the optimum water for high mash efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Sorry to chime in on someone elses recipe... If you don't know the specifics of your water, I wouldn't try messing around with it too much. I believe you do want hard water with a Belgian beer, but I don't think it's absolutely mandatory to produce an excellent final product. I have soft water also. I've brewed Wit's with and without water adjustments and haven't noticed any huge differences.
No Problem. - Sometimes people want/need quick advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
Thanks,

I am certainly no pro, I haven't even figured out my mash efficiency yet.

I would like to make this brew with Northern Brewer and Saaz, think that would work? I have on hand: Saaz, Norhtern Brewer, Fuggles, and Progress.
I know I'm off-track from the original recipe....
Yes - Use the NB for bittering Saaz at 15 minutes. You're not off track by much, you still should get the same flavor profile provided you calculate the hop schedule using your hop alpha-acids to hit the IBU target.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 10-26-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #14
shimbii
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you add the corriander in the secondary just as you would add dry hops or do you somehow sanitize (boil) the corriander first before adding them? I know hops are naturally averse to allowing bad stuff to grow on them to contaminate your beer... is the same true for coriander or is this just not a concern at all?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Yes - just add the coriander,as is, no boiling. The ABV will keep it from getting any toe hold of start for infecting the beer. The yeast population is so much in the majority that it out competes anything for food.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Ya know... I don't concider Miller a good enough beer to designate them "man-law makers", but that's a whole different subject.

What's always gotten to me is that Miller started the "no fruit in beer" law...and then 6 months later they release the miller chill with lime in it. Sort of hypocritical isn't it?
I think their marketing people drink too much, loosing alot of short term memory!!!!

Either that or the thought if you can't beat'em join them.

I've been noticing that the BMC people are starting to offer a lot more styles. The thought to lure in craft beer drinkers. Even the mid sized craft brewers like Leine & SA seem to have more style selections now.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
CanadianNorth
Recipes 

Default Hoegaarden troubles....

Hey folks,

So I made this beer a couple of days ago, following the recipe as closely as I could. Unfortunately (due to a couple of problems*) my O.G. came out at 1.036 and not the planned 1.047. Even though I used a 1 litre starter

I am wondering, should I put in some light DME to bump up the O.G. or leave it? I checked the gravity, and after two days it was 1.020.

(The biggest 'problem' was that I forget the 5.2, which I normally use, and I think my Ph was high)

Any thoughts?

It's just beer man.... they've been doing it for years......

Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Whats up with your beer now? 1.036 is not bad, somewhat light, still OK. Did you add anything to it post boil?

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 12-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was confused at first when I saw that you use 50% flaked wheat instead of raw (unmalted) wheat, but after doing a little research I've learned that flaked wheat is essentially raw wheat that has been gelatinized and de-husked. Add rice hulls, and you have gelatinized raw wheat! Brilliant!

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
CanadianNorth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Whats up with your beer now? 1.036 is not bad, somewhat light, still OK. Did you add anything to it post boil?
Thanks,

I wasn't sure what to do , but I ended up just leaving it. The beer is in the 2ndary now, with the extra corriander. I am going to keg it in a week or two, and I'll let you know how the tasting goes. I guess the lesson is: Do you O.G. reading prior to cooldown and aeration.

I'll let you know how it tastes when I get it in the keg!

It's just beer man.... they've been doing it for years......

Quick Reply