Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #121
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
basementbrewbrad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stafford
Posts: 464
Liked 59 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default


ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406149411.922755.jpg racked this as well as my grand cru to secondary Saturday and added hibiscus and hops. Looks great. Tastes a bit strong withh. Alcohol but should mellow by the end of sept when it is time to drink it


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
basementbrewbrad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #122
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 1,368
Liked 557 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Default


ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406260829.991751.jpg
The problem with this beer is everybody will drink it. My wife hates beer but has drank a few of these everybody who has come over has liked it. I am down to a 6 pack I can't believe how fast it went.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
BUCKNUTS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #123
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,156
Liked 385 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default


Drew off a sample...for the Hell of it. I'll be bottling on Sunday. Held the sample up to a light to check color and clarity...looks good! Moved it back and forth from the sample glass to a beer glass, to open up the aroma. Nice. Flavor, without carb, makes me think I'm drinking a light, but complex red wine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05124.jpg (32.2 KB, 100 views)
__________________

There are no small parts, only small actors.

mattmmille is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #124
val214
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
 
val214's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 516
Liked 173 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Drew off a sample...for the Hell of it. I'll be bottling on Sunday. Held the sample up to a light to check color and clarity...looks good! Moved it back and forth from the sample glass to a beer glass, to open up the aroma. Nice. Flavor, without carb, makes me think I'm drinking a light, but complex red wine.

Yea. You are in trouble. That small sample is going to haunt you till it's ready.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
val214 is offline  
mattmmille Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #125
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,156
Liked 385 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default


Unless SWMBO has other plans for me, I should be bottling today! Using corn sugar for priming. Any suggestions on amount? I think I'm at about 6 gallons and have had several brews overcarb, even when I tried to underestimate the priming sugar.

Using Brewer's Friend's calculator and using the Belgian Ales category (closest to saison?), I come up with 3.9 oz corn sugar for 6 gallons at 74F. I'll double check the actual temperature and volume when I get to that point. I don't keg and I know nothing of atmospheres or volumes, but the calculator says that Belgian Ales style varies from 1.9 to 2.4 volumes. Considering past issues, I'm going with 1.9 for calculating. And it has a value of 0.79 volumes assigned as "CO2 in beer". Is that assuming there is already some CO2 still in it after fermentation? I'm debating 3.50 oz for priming (if no values change significantly)...maybe 3.75 oz.

__________________

There are no small parts, only small actors.

mattmmille is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #126
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
ChefRex's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Central
Posts: 3,986
Liked 1911 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 3078

Default


I have a couple days off coming up,just ordered the missing parts for a rebrew, I miss this stuff!

__________________
ChefRex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #127
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 1,368
Liked 557 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Unless SWMBO has other plans for me, I should be bottling today! Using corn sugar for priming. Any suggestions on amount? I think I'm at about 6 gallons and have had several brews overcarb, even when I tried to underestimate the priming sugar.

Using Brewer's Friend's calculator and using the Belgian Ales category (closest to saison?), I come up with 3.9 oz corn sugar for 6 gallons at 74F. I'll double check the actual temperature and volume when I get to that point. I don't keg and I know nothing of atmospheres or volumes, but the calculator says that Belgian Ales style varies from 1.9 to 2.4 volumes. Considering past issues, I'm going with 1.9 for calculating. And it has a value of 0.79 volumes assigned as "CO2 in beer". Is that assuming there is already some CO2 still in it after fermentation? I'm debating 3.50 oz for priming (if no values change significantly)...maybe 3.75 oz.
I used 5oz to carb my 6 gallons and it isnt very very well carbonated. I hate bottling I keg most of my beer but I didnt have an open keg when I brewed the Hibiscus Saison.



Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
BUCKNUTS is offline  
mattmmille Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #128
hopbrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Playa Santana
Posts: 217
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default


i like my belgian beers a little more carbed than most other styles, especially saisons. i use northern brewers calculator. but probably wouldnt go over 3.0 vol. id suggest picking a few styles between 2.4-3.0 and see what it calls for and make your decision based off that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Unless SWMBO has other plans for me, I should be bottling today! Using corn sugar for priming. Any suggestions on amount? I think I'm at about 6 gallons and have had several brews overcarb, even when I tried to underestimate the priming sugar.

Using Brewer's Friend's calculator and using the Belgian Ales category (closest to saison?), I come up with 3.9 oz corn sugar for 6 gallons at 74F. I'll double check the actual temperature and volume when I get to that point. I don't keg and I know nothing of atmospheres or volumes, but the calculator says that Belgian Ales style varies from 1.9 to 2.4 volumes. Considering past issues, I'm going with 1.9 for calculating. And it has a value of 0.79 volumes assigned as "CO2 in beer". Is that assuming there is already some CO2 still in it after fermentation? I'm debating 3.50 oz for priming (if no values change significantly)...maybe 3.75 oz.
__________________
hopbrad is offline  
mattmmille Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #129
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,156
Liked 385 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbrad View Post
i like my belgian beers a little more carbed than most other styles, especially saisons. i use northern brewers calculator. but probably wouldnt go over 3.0 vol. id suggest picking a few styles between 2.4-3.0 and see what it calls for and make your decision based off that.
Thank's! I like a nice carb, but having had a few overcarbed...despite using less than the amount of priming sugar called for, I'm a bit skittish. I see Northern Brewer suggests 3.2 volumes and calls for almost 8oz. If I go down to 2.4 volumes, it's 5.25oz. *sigh* Decisions, decisions.
__________________

There are no small parts, only small actors.

mattmmille is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #130
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,011
Liked 1234 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Thank's! I like a nice carb, but having had a few overcarbed...despite using less than the amount of priming sugar called for, I'm a bit skittish. I see Northern Brewer suggests 3.2 volumes and calls for almost 8oz. If I go down to 2.4 volumes, it's 5.25oz. *sigh* Decisions, decisions.
I agree with hopbrad on the carb. Northern Brewers calculator has never led me astray.
__________________
Fuzzymittenbrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped Saison Homebrewtastic Belgian and French Ale 46 02-07-2014 11:02 PM
Brewed Yesterday: Nelson Saison jhart94949 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-28-2014 08:24 PM
Nelson and ...? Rau71 Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-28-2012 06:01 PM
Nelson Sauvin-hopped Belgian Pale dougdecinces Recipes/Ingredients 1 02-18-2012 03:37 AM
Nelson Sauvin Saison? Homebrewtastic General Beer Discussion 16 02-28-2011 09:14 PM