Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #121
basementbrewbrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 24

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1406149411.922755.jpg racked this as well as my grand cru to secondary Saturday and added hibiscus and hops. Looks great. Tastes a bit strong withh. Alcohol but should mellow by the end of sept when it is time to drink it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #122
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 733 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 516

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1406260829.991751.jpg
The problem with this beer is everybody will drink it. My wife hates beer but has drank a few of these everybody who has come over has liked it. I am down to a 6 pack I can't believe how fast it went.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #123
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Drew off a sample...for the Hell of it. I'll be bottling on Sunday. Held the sample up to a light to check color and clarity...looks good! Moved it back and forth from the sample glass to a beer glass, to open up the aroma. Nice. Flavor, without carb, makes me think I'm drinking a light, but complex red wine.

dsc05124.jpg  

There are no small parts, only small actors.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #124
val214
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Drew off a sample...for the Hell of it. I'll be bottling on Sunday. Held the sample up to a light to check color and clarity...looks good! Moved it back and forth from the sample glass to a beer glass, to open up the aroma. Nice. Flavor, without carb, makes me think I'm drinking a light, but complex red wine.

Yea. You are in trouble. That small sample is going to haunt you till it's ready.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #125
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Unless SWMBO has other plans for me, I should be bottling today! Using corn sugar for priming. Any suggestions on amount? I think I'm at about 6 gallons and have had several brews overcarb, even when I tried to underestimate the priming sugar.

Using Brewer's Friend's calculator and using the Belgian Ales category (closest to saison?), I come up with 3.9 oz corn sugar for 6 gallons at 74F. I'll double check the actual temperature and volume when I get to that point. I don't keg and I know nothing of atmospheres or volumes, but the calculator says that Belgian Ales style varies from 1.9 to 2.4 volumes. Considering past issues, I'm going with 1.9 for calculating. And it has a value of 0.79 volumes assigned as "CO2 in beer". Is that assuming there is already some CO2 still in it after fermentation? I'm debating 3.50 oz for priming (if no values change significantly)...maybe 3.75 oz.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #126
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

I have a couple days off coming up,just ordered the missing parts for a rebrew, I miss this stuff!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #127
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 733 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Unless SWMBO has other plans for me, I should be bottling today! Using corn sugar for priming. Any suggestions on amount? I think I'm at about 6 gallons and have had several brews overcarb, even when I tried to underestimate the priming sugar.

Using Brewer's Friend's calculator and using the Belgian Ales category (closest to saison?), I come up with 3.9 oz corn sugar for 6 gallons at 74F. I'll double check the actual temperature and volume when I get to that point. I don't keg and I know nothing of atmospheres or volumes, but the calculator says that Belgian Ales style varies from 1.9 to 2.4 volumes. Considering past issues, I'm going with 1.9 for calculating. And it has a value of 0.79 volumes assigned as "CO2 in beer". Is that assuming there is already some CO2 still in it after fermentation? I'm debating 3.50 oz for priming (if no values change significantly)...maybe 3.75 oz.
I used 5oz to carb my 6 gallons and it isnt very very well carbonated. I hate bottling I keg most of my beer but I didnt have an open keg when I brewed the Hibiscus Saison.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #128
hopbrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 20

i like my belgian beers a little more carbed than most other styles, especially saisons. i use northern brewers calculator. but probably wouldnt go over 3.0 vol. id suggest picking a few styles between 2.4-3.0 and see what it calls for and make your decision based off that.

Quote:

Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #129
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopbrad View Post
i like my belgian beers a little more carbed than most other styles, especially saisons. i use northern brewers calculator. but probably wouldnt go over 3.0 vol. id suggest picking a few styles between 2.4-3.0 and see what it calls for and make your decision based off that.
Thank's! I like a nice carb, but having had a few overcarbed...despite using less than the amount of priming sugar called for, I'm a bit skittish. I see Northern Brewer suggests 3.2 volumes and calls for almost 8oz. If I go down to 2.4 volumes, it's 5.25oz. *sigh* Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #130
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1243 Times on 882 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Thank's! I like a nice carb, but having had a few overcarbed...despite using less than the amount of priming sugar called for, I'm a bit skittish. I see Northern Brewer suggests 3.2 volumes and calls for almost 8oz. If I go down to 2.4 volumes, it's 5.25oz. *sigh* Decisions, decisions.
I agree with hopbrad on the carb. Northern Brewers calculator has never led me astray.

Quick Reply